Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not very happy with the remote either. My biggest issues are that (1) my thumb nearly falls off when scrolling through long lists, (2) I seem to always pick it up the wrong way around (kind of like toast always falls with the buttered side down), and (3) as others have said it's very easy to trigger actions with a wrong touch.

At least 1) and 2) could be solved by some simple changes: Add accelerating scrolling when clicking the edges of the touchpad (like using the buttons on the old remote), and make the design more asymmetric (e.g. make the whole remote aluminum back and front, and only the touchpad in black).

Reactions: beachmusic

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I am 50/50 on the remote. I do like some of the capabilities, but do find the touch surface problematic, mainly when activating it just by picking up the remote.
This is my main problem with it, and I also think it should have been more contoured so you can immediately tell which way is up when you pick it up in a darkened room only to find you're holding it the wrong way round!

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
They should have used glass on the touch surface. Using the touchpad doesn't feel smooth. Hey could have made he e tire surface glass or made he part with the button have the matte plastic. The touchpad also doesn't fee responsive as the phone.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Simply put, bring back the D-pad, improve the shape of the remote, and enhance the Siri interface and you'd have a clear winner.

Please God no!

However, you can already use it like a D-pad. Instead of swipe you just tap it. Tap on the right if you want to go right, or left, top and bottom accordingly. I saw people on YouTube swiping down to go down and it doesn't look comfortable. Tapping on the bottom part of trackpad is a lot easier.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Doth

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I was having trouble with grabbing the remote in the dark and trying to work it while it was upside down (not really a huge deal). However, I bought the little straps for the remote to keep my son from throwing the remote into the TV on accident when he was playing bowling games and realized that they solved the only trouble I was having with the remote.

The only change I would like to see is the ability to use an iOS device again, makes typing stuff easier.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I was having trouble with grabbing the remote in the dark and trying to work it while it was upside down (not really a huge deal). However, I bought the little straps for the remote to keep my son from throwing the remote into the TV on accident when he was playing bowling games and realized that they solved the only trouble I was having with the remote.

What game is that? Strike?

dan_t

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2016
What game is that? Strike?

I really like the remote.

I would like Suri enhancements, like tying in to Music.

The selection of letters to make up a title is very frustrating, so either a virtual keypad or using Suri would be my preference. But overall Atv4 is a big step forward.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Not really, I said in the original post that I knew there would be posts from users saying that the remote was "great."

However, even if 10% of the users don't like the Siri remote that is still a serious design problem for something that should operate without a hint of concern. Look at it this way, you never heard such strong and frequent complains about the previous Apple TV remote, the one that used a few buttons and a D-pad. The reason is simple, the previous remote worked flawlessly and was essentially foolproof (dictionary definition: incapable of going wrong or being misused).

The responses suggesting that people who don't like the remote should get a third-party remote, or get a case for the remote, or that we should adapt ourselves to using the Siri remote, or that we should be careful when we pick it up are all just proving my point. A remote just shouldn't require that much care and attention.

Lastly, I think some are overlooking the obvious design flaws in the Siri remote just because they really like some of the other features, such as the Bluetooth interface, the dual IR/Bluetooth control, the volume control buttons, the HDMI-CEC, the rechargeable battery, and Siri voice input. Yes, those are all nice features, but NONE of those require that the remote have the fiddly touch interface.

Simply put, bring back the D-pad, improve the shape of the remote, and enhance the Siri interface and you'd have a clear winner.

The touch surface allows for my favorite feature of the ATV 4: video scrubbing. I "fast forward" through the opening credits/theme song of the shows I watch on Neflix. The touch pad allows for precise scrubbing to the end of those opening sequences that a d-pad simply does not allow for.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
I personally like it; it's become familiar, and can be applied to lots of different functions and apps. If I had to criticise it would just be that it's too fragile, and expensive to replace. But I've found that my Panasonic tv remote automatically setup itself (presumably via hdcec ) and I frequently use that to navigate as an alternative, because I don't get anxious about dropping it. Once more Siri integration happens I'll prob exclusively stick to the apple one.

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
I don't hate the remote but I do think it is inferior to the old one for text entry and basic navigation purposes. However I don't game or use Siri. Im also someone that likes tactile buttons vs. a touch screen a gripe of mine with the Chromecast and also why I didn't use the Remote app for those tasks (queueing music and playback control though it was handy but you got more information in the UI to make it easier to use vs. the remote).

I also hate having to charge the remote. A charge may last months but the old apple remote lasted years on a battery.
I wish they offered a less expensive SKU that bundled the old remote. I thought that's what they were going to do with the territories that don't support Siri, but its the same remote they just call it the Apple TV remote (vs. Siri Remote) and not include the old Apple TV remote.

That said it works fine with the old one (though I don't like the linear OSK), so I put the Siri remote in a drawer and just use the old silver remote.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The touch surface allows for my favorite feature of the ATV 4: video scrubbing. I "fast forward" through the opening credits/theme song of the shows I watch on Neflix.

I really want it to be good for that, but I don't understand how you could possibly pull this off. The scrubbing sensitivity is just so high. If I move my thumb too little, there is no scrubbing. But if I move it just 1 Planck Length further, ATV4 is all like "oh, you want to skip forward 16 hours? okay!"

I actually find it much easier to use Siri. Example: "Siri skip forward xx seconds"
[doublepost=1455152356][/doublepost]
2.) Unintentional actions initiated with a simple touch to the remote.

This is really the only issue I have with it, so I do agree with you there.

A bigger complaint for me though is that some software doesn't recognize discreet up/down/left/right commands from the old Apple Remote, or a Universal IR Remote, even though those should be perfectly valid input methods for up/down/left/right navigation.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I like the new remote, a small learning curve with the touchpad but I think asking if it doomed the TV is a bit dramatic.

John_Hagan

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2016
I've only had my Apple TV for about a week, but I agree the new remote takes some getting used to. In a little time it should be fine for my use. I have ordered a protective case for it as it does feel fragile.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Probably not, but with so many people saying that they "hate" the new remote you have to wonder what Apple will do to correct these misgivings with the next revision of the product.

I'm going to come right out and say it, the touch surface on the Siri remote has got to go.

What I'm concerned about is that Apple may introduce features that will depend exclusively upon the remote's touch surface and that could mean that it will become doubly difficult for Apple to eliminate the touch surface in future product updates. That is, could they ever go back to a simple button interface?

So, what can be done at this point? We could hope for some type of software update to improve the usability of the touch surface, but frankly I think that would just be putting a band-aid over something that never should have happened in the first place.

I know, this post is probably going to get comments from people who think the touch surface on the remote is "great" and a true innovation. But that really won't help those of us who literally cringe each time we have to reach for or use the Siri remote. For those people, even if they are somewhat in the minority, something has to change is a BIG way.

My recommendations would be the following:

1.) Apple should avoid introducing any new features that depend exclusively upon the touch surface. Yes, planned obsolescence.

2.) Offer an option to turn off the touch surface and just use the existing area as a big button with up/down and left/right implemented at the edges of the existing surface. With that they could reimplement some of the features of the old button-controlled remote, like the ability to trigger a fast scroll simply by holding down on the "button."

3.) Apple should consider doing something that I think they've never done before, a limited-cost trade-in program for a newly designed remote. The new remote would also improve the remote's physical design, easier to hold, easier to orient, more rugged, and with simple buttons rather than a touch surface. Yes, that's BIG but I think it could go a long way in restoring faith in the Apple TV product. So, spend a few tens of millions to replace the existing remote and then cut back on the stock options and other benefits that you've traditionally rewarded to the high-level decision makers at Apple -- because, quite frankly, many of the decisions of late haven't been that good.

4.) Begin a crash course on improving the voice features on the remote, this could probably mitigate some of the issues with the usability of the device. It is, after all, called the Siri Remote.

Okay, so that's one person's opinion, and I know there will be others. Frankly, I doubt whether Apple will reverse course on the touch surface, so in conclusion I'll ask if anyone has any good suggestions on what could possible be done to improve the current touch-based interface.

I venture to say that you and people who feel this way are in the minority. Cheers!

Last edited:

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I've been using the new AppleTV almost daily since launch, after all this time the only problems I still run into are:

1.) Password entry sucks. There is a "Recent" option for re-entering a username/email address with 2 clicks, but no option to store passwords. The horizontal keyboard layout fails to take advantage of the touchpad the way a grid layout would, and Apple has done nothing to respond to critics about this issue. Simply offering users an option to switch between styles should not be difficult.

2.) Apple failed to learn from Microsoft's Windows 8 that hidden UI elements are not user friendly. Specifically, I am referring to hidden UI that is accessed from swiping Down or Up while something is playing. This could be resolved by giving a hint at the existence of the UI when something starts playing and auto-hide that hint after a few seconds. Apps could help by remembering selections people make within that UI, for example, I currently have to re-enable closed captions in PBS videos every single time I watch one.

Regarding the remote, over time I have gotten used to the layout of the remote. I think the biggest improvement for me was easily the purchase of a Griffin "Survivor" case for the remote that makes it far more comfortable to hold. I certainly have a wishlist of improvements I would like to see, but it works fine as it is.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I've been using the new AppleTV almost daily since launch, after all this time the only problems I still run into are:

1.) Password entry sucks. There is a "Recent" option for re-entering a username/email address with 2 clicks, but no option to store passwords. The horizontal keyboard layout fails to take advantage of the touchpad the way a grid layout would, and Apple has done nothing to respond to critics about this issue. Simply offering users an option to switch between styles should not be difficult.

2.) Apple failed to learn from Microsoft's Windows 8 that hidden UI elements are not user friendly. Specifically, I am referring to hidden UI that is accessed from swiping Down or Up while something is playing. This could be resolved by giving a hint at the existence of the UI when something starts playing and auto-hide that hint after a few seconds. Apps could help by remembering selections people make within that UI, for example, I currently have to re-enable closed captions in PBS videos every single time I watch one.

Regarding the remote, over time I have gotten used to the layout of the remote. I think the biggest improvement for me was easily the purchase of a Griffin "Survivor" case for the remote that makes it far more comfortable to hold. I certainly have a wishlist of improvements I would like to see, but it works fine as it is.

The ATV4 remote beats the ATV1-3 remote, but it does have its annoyances. I made up a really great lengthy complex password... then I had to enter it via the ATV4 remote. Over and over again. On the plus side, I will never forget that password as long as I live.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
The only issue I have with the remote is that I occasionally pick it up upside down and try to swipe on bottom of it. Text entry is always a pain with the remote but there's not much they can do about that.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
The only issue I have with the remote is that I occasionally pick it up upside down and try to swipe on bottom of it. Text entry is always a pain with the remote but there's not much they can do about that.
I use the Remote app for user name and password entry now. It's the only time I use the app but it's worthwhile.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I am neutral on the remote. I do not use the search function at all. I like searching on either my iPad, or MacBook whenever I have time, using media, suggestions, searches, then adding those to my lists. Example, Netflix, someone says great movie or series I add to my list. Then when we sit down to watch Netflix zip over to my list and watch. I prefer not having to go to my main TV, which maybe in use, to search for things to watch. Fit the searches in when I have time. My understanding is the new remote app will have this feature without using the main TV, now that will get my attention. Am I the only one that prefers offline searching?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Seems like it has been a fairly even split between those who have issues with the new remote and those who think it is fine in every respect. I would't call that an exactly ringing endorsement of the Siri remote.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Seems like it has been a fairly even split between those who have issues with the new remote and those who think it is fine in every respect. I would't call that an exactly ringing endorsement of the Siri remote.
Only if you consider this thread representative of the user base.

foundationcitizen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Probably not, but with so many people saying that they "hate" the new remote you have to wonder what Apple will do to correct these misgivings with the next revision of the product.

I'm going to come right out and say it, the touch surface on the Siri remote has got to go.

What I'm concerned about is that Apple may introduce features that will depend exclusively upon the remote's touch surface and that could mean that it will become doubly difficult for Apple to eliminate the touch surface in future product updates. That is, could they ever go back to a simple button interface?

So, what can be done at this point? We could hope for some type of software update to improve the usability of the touch surface, but frankly I think that would just be putting a band-aid over something that never should have happened in the first place.

I know, this post is probably going to get comments from people who think the touch surface on the remote is "great" and a true innovation. But that really won't help those of us who literally cringe each time we have to reach for or use the Siri remote. For those people, even if they are somewhat in the minority, something has to change is a BIG way.

My recommendations would be the following:

1.) Apple should avoid introducing any new features that depend exclusively upon the touch surface. Yes, planned obsolescence.

2.) Offer an option to turn off the touch surface and just use the existing area as a big button with up/down and left/right implemented at the edges of the existing surface. With that they could reimplement some of the features of the old button-controlled remote, like the ability to trigger a fast scroll simply by holding down on the "button."

3.) Apple should consider doing something that I think they've never done before, a limited-cost trade-in program for a newly designed remote. The new remote would also improve the remote's physical design, easier to hold, easier to orient, more rugged, and with simple buttons rather than a touch surface. Yes, that's BIG but I think it could go a long way in restoring faith in the Apple TV product. So, spend a few tens of millions to replace the existing remote and then cut back on the stock options and other benefits that you've traditionally rewarded to the high-level decision makers at Apple -- because, quite frankly, many of the decisions of late haven't been that good.

4.) Begin a crash course on improving the voice features on the remote, this could probably mitigate some of the issues with the usability of the device. It is, after all, called the Siri Remote.

Okay, so that's one person's opinion, and I know there will be others. Frankly, I doubt whether Apple will reverse course on the touch surface, so in conclusion I'll ask if anyone has any good suggestions on what could possible be done to improve the current touch-based interface.
[doublepost=1455616991][/doublepost]I purchased the new apple tv the very day and hour it was released. I was so excited! I love the apple tv, and now almost exclusively watch movies and shows that way. It arrived, and I set it all up. For several reasons I was NOT happy. I tried and tried to make things work. I called tech support. Meanwhile I had already sold my old one to a friend. After about two weeks, I returned my new apple tv, bought back my old one from a friend, and am now using my old one and LOVE it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.