Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I bought AirPods that were sold as new but I am wondering if they aren't actually used.

The box looks dirty and in not so good condition (ok, it could have been stocked that way). But it looks as if someone may have tried to open the lashes and damaged them, or had actually already opened them and was instead trying to re-seal them and make it look new.

IMG_1023.jpeg

On top of that, the Apple Support app states the warranty expiration date for this serial number is in November 2024. That suggests the AirPods were activated already a few months ago, in November 2023. Apple Support changed the date of purchase to recently, but I'd still want to return the AirPods if I learned they weren't new. Apple Support told me they don't have any information that could tell if they were used already or not, but that it is common that the date of purchase registered in the system is being manually changed sometimes.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Unbox while watching an unboxing video. If the contents aren't arranged exactly the same, same orientation and all, then you know it's not new. You should be able to tell with the lashes, maybe you can see if they were taped over again. Or maybe there aren't any airpods in there anyways which will answer your question too.

The way this box looks just reminds me of how trashy Amazon ships nowadays and how packaging gets crumbled up and damaged in shipping. If you got it from them then that might just be the answer. I have never seen worse treatment of original packaging than with them, brand new items will look dirty a lot of the time.

It can also help to wear gloves as you might see fingerprints all over the airpods case, without gloves you won't know if they're your own.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If those tear strips were not already torn off, the AirPods should be fine. There is no way anyone could put them back after they were torn off.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
@okkibs @chabig

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_1034.png IMG_1031.jpeg IMG_1030.jpeg IMG_1033.jpeg

One side looks fine, the other one suspicious.

What's weird is also the coverage date thing. If I hadn't noticed this, I would have only had 11 months Apple warranty without even knowing.

I bought these from a store in my town. Theoretically I can return them of course.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The box looks dirty, but the seals look intact to me. And I wouldn't worry about the warranty. You might find that the date updates once you open and activate the AirPods. Even if it doesn't, should you have a problem next December, I think you would just have to show your receipt to establish a date of purchase for warranty coverage.

Obviously you have doubts. Nobody will fault you for returning these.

Reactions: splifingate

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
@okkibs @chabig

Here's what it looks like.

View attachment 2336185 View attachment 2336184 View attachment 2336182 View attachment 2336183

One side looks fine, the other one suspicious.

What's weird is also the coverage date thing. If I hadn't noticed this, I would have only had 11 months Apple warranty without even knowing.

I bought these from a store in my town. Theoretically I can return them of course.
Just return them and get another pair if you're unsatisfied

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
The box looks dirty, but the seals look intact to me. And I wouldn't worry about the warranty. You might find that the date updates once you open and activate the AirPods. Even if it doesn't, should you have a problem next December, I think you would just have to show your receipt to establish a date of purchase for warranty coverage.

Obviously you have doubts. Nobody will fault you for returning these.

Yes, Apple has already changed the date. It should take a few days to show up they said. But even with an updated purchase date I wouldn't want them if they were used.

But maybe as you say the seals are intact and it was just the way it was stored that made it look that way.

Just return them and get another pair if you're unsatisfied

They were very cheap, that's why I got them there. The shop was a little weird too I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.