Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tshipley85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Nashville, TN
I have been using a 12.9" ipp (1st gen) for around a year now. I love it. It hasn't totally replaced my MacBook, but I can do lots of things on it. While I love the screen. Part of me has always felt it is too big. Sometimes, I'd like a smaller iPad, one that lends itself to one handed operation, especially reading.

Have any 12.9" owners made the switch to a 10.5"? If so, what are your thoughts on the switch? Have you noticed any shortfalls?

I have a buyer lined up for my 12.9" Gold 128gb for $825. I'll be throwing in a ASK and Moshi Origami case, plus it comes with AppleCare for about another year. The resale on these has plummeted, but at least I won't be eating too much if I decide to go this route. Probably won't replace the ASK right away.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

italodance

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Tehran
Nope, Used iPP 12.9 first geberation over a year, Now moved to 12.9 second generation. Nothing can stop me from its big and useful screen, i hate small screen size and it is not a score for me.
Big screen is amazing for watchings videos and reading mags, even apps and games.
In regards to replacement i have to say Windows is useless to me, i hate it so much cause usually buggy and laggy, Battery sucks and always heats up in my hands/lap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABC5S

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I have been using a 12.9" ipp (1st gen) for around a year now. I love it. It hasn't totally replaced my MacBook, but I can do lots of things on it. While I love the screen. Part of me has always felt it is too big. Sometimes, I'd like a smaller iPad, one that lends itself to one handed operation, especially reading.

Have any 12.9" owners made the switch to a 10.5"? If so, what are your thoughts on the switch? Have you noticed any shortfalls?

I have a buyer lined up for my 12.9" Gold 128gb for $825. I'll be throwing in a ASK and Moshi Origami case, plus it comes with AppleCare for about another year. The resale on these has plummeted, but at least I won't be eating too much if I decide to go this route. Probably won't replace the ASK right away.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
The 10.5 is a sham I see no improvement over 9.7 screen size purely. The 12.9 is still a must have if your planning on doing serious productivity things or if your coming from a laptop with a 13inch or 15 inch screen

Reactions: ABC5S

nostodnayr

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Mie Prefecture, Japan
The 10.5 really does feel almost identical to a 9.7. There’s a margin of extra breathing room, but it’s not at all like the vastness and spaciousness you feel on a 12.9.

I prefer the 10.5 simply because it’s easier to hold. I don’t multitask heavily enough to justify a new 12.9.
[doublepost=1498965636][/doublepost]Also check out this article by David Chartier about changing from a 12.9 to 10.5.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 10.5 really does feel almost identical to a 9.7. There’s a margin of extra breathing room, but it’s not at all like the vastness and spaciousness you feel on a 12.9.

I prefer the 10.5 simply because it’s easier to hold. I don’t multitask heavily enough to justify a new 12.9.
[doublepost=1498965636][/doublepost]Also check out this article by David Chartier about changing from a 12.9 to 10.5.

The Bolded part of your post is a reason a lot iPad users seem to be interested in the 10.5 iPad Pro. Mainly because it's easier to hold and it seems to be the perfect size that many were looking for just with the slightly larger display over the 9.7. Being the iPad is hand held a lot of times instead of being supported by a stand, comfort is key in the hand.

Reactions: Legendts

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
I sold my 1st gen 12.9 back when the Ipad (5. gen) was announced because I hoped the new Pro might be released back then. It didn't - so I waited and when the new Pro's was announced last month, I purchased the 10.5 version. I really like it a lot - more then the old 9.7 pro - but I think many using the iPad at home, will miss the large screen. I know I did - so I got the 12.9 last week and really happy with it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The jump from 9.7 screen to 10.5 screen is something one gets used to quite quickly.

I had the first 12.9 and returned it for an additional 9.7 and never looked back. The 12.9 was more size than I wanted to put up with.

I would never consider the 10.5 to be a downgrade. If you like, want or need the 12.9 go for it but if not it is great that Apple gives us all a choice. 10.5 and 9.7 units are outnumbering the 12.9 units so it is hard to think of it as a downgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

wood71david

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017
I had the 12.9 but I just felt the whole iOS just wasn't set up for the screen size, so much wasted space. I now have the 10.5 and don't feel I'm missing out anything from the larger screen. However, as they are both identical apart from screen size if apple uses the space available on the 12.9 I would consider going back.

Reactions: Max Your Macs

mosesming

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2017
Hong Kong
The jump from 9.7 to 10.5 is something one gets used to quite quickly.

I had the first 12.9 and returned it for an additional 9.7 and never looked back. The 12.9 was more size than I wanted to put up with.

I would never consider the 10.5 to be a downgrade. If you like, want or need the 12.9 go for it but if not it is great that Apple gives us all a choice. 10.5 and 9.7 units are outnumbering the 12.9 units so it is hard to think of it as a downgrade.
My main reasons to move from 9.7 to 10.5
1. 2GB ram -> 4GB ram, most 9.7 owner are complaining it
2. 9.7” -> 10.5”, some might think 0.8” increase is not a big deal, but it is much better in real world
3. Thick bezels -> Small bezels, looks lovely
4. 128 GB -> 256 GB, finally I got an iPad that have the storage of a mainstream laptop!!

I think I will get the big Pro in the next generation, with 512GB or even 1TB (if it exist).

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
I am also having the same dilemma. I had the 12 inch iPad Pro and it's no longer in my possession.

Long story short I wanted to get a new iPad Pro too and I am debating between the two. Currently I have a 15inch MacBook Pro, 27 inch iMac at my home in the states (currently in China and will be back to the states around December) and an iPad Mini 4, so 12 inch iPad would be the perfect mid ground, but with the keyboard attached to it, it's really heavy. Also for the tasks that are serious enough, I would just whip out my MacBook instead.

I am leaning towards the 10.5 inch iPad because for one it's a little bit cheaper but also lighter. I mean this thing is going to be my toilet/patio/commute reading machine 70% of the time, a 12 inch iPad isn't practical for that purpose, especially for commuting.

I know I will miss the 12 inch display though, so I wonder if I will get use to it or will I end up returning it.

I spent like 10 minutes in Apple Store the other day and the 10.5 inch seemed just fine though.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Honestly I've been wondering the same thing and was probably gonna start a thread about this before I saw this one. I'm currently using a 1st gen 12.9 and a mini 4 as my two main devices. However, due to the size I've found that I hardly ever use the 12.9 away from my desk. The mini is still a great device, but I'm starting to miss all the nice new things that the newer iPads are getting, and don't love that all the power of the 12.9 isn't really being used to its full potential in my setup. Plus, having two iPads just seems kind of superfluous for me personally.

So, I've been thinking about replacing them both with the 10.5. I think it'll give me enough screen space for the stuff I currently use the 12.9 for - namely, mostly word processing, reading pdfs, editing photos with PS express and Pixelmator, stuff like that - while still being portable enough for the stuff I use the mini for, which is mostly reading books and magazines, web browsing on the couch, watching movies, etc. I also would really like my main portable device to have pencil support, as I feel like I don't get enough usage out of the Pencil now as much as I'd like and can see myself using it to hand write notes more on a smaller screen. Plus it'll be kind of nice to simplify down to one device to do it all, I think, at least for me.

So we'll see. I'm definitely interested in hearing from others who have made a similar decision.

Reactions: kikote

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I had a 12.9 inch first generation iPad Pro, and sold it to get the 10.5 inch. The 12.9 inch was actually less portable than my 12 inch MacBook, so I found myself using it less. I love the portability of the 10.5, and find myself using it much more than I did the 12.9.

I honestly can't decide between the 10.5 and 12.9. I Have different uses for both sizes, but that 10.5 is definitely a beloved size at this point by many. I have Different plans for both sizes in the next few months, and with the 12.9 iPad, I plan on adding the smart keyboard.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
For me I prefer the size and quick portability of the 10.5, I had a 1st gen 12.9 that was just a hassle for 80% of my use. It comes down to use case. I want an iPad mini that acts like a puffer fish. Or the folding tablet on Westworld.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yes, I switched. LOVE the new size and the display, it’s so gorgeous in 120 hz.
First I thought I would keep them both. But I couldn’t stand looking at the old display anymore once I had the new one. And the portability really is a huge win. I’m mad at Apple that they didn’t shrink down the size of the bezels apron the big one, then maybe I would’ve stocked to 12.9.

Anyways, I don’t regret switching!

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I went from a gen 1 12.9 cellular to an 10.5 cellular. It's the perfect balance for me, I like the portability.

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Tried the 12.9 but it was annoying to handle to me. It's 50% heavier, way bigger and due to the size and the pressure created by the leverage when holding it one-handed it felt more than 50% heavier to me when one-handing.

Also the 10.5 with the keyboard case is surprisingly useful when propped up in my lap, but with the 12.9 I was always having to adjust it and it seemed to tip over much easier because it's more top-heavy.

The bigger screen is nice and all, but in the end I prefer the extra portability. To me the 10.5 feels about perfect size-wise for a tablet whereas the 12.9 feels like carrying around a cookie sheet.

nostodnayr

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Mie Prefecture, Japan
First I thought I would keep them both. But I couldn’t stand looking at the old display anymore
I thought the same way. I could live with the lower refresh rate, but not TrueTone. The 12.9 is so big that the blue of the screen is a shock. I tried correcting for it with night shift (on a very low setting) but it’s hard to balance.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I sold my 12.9" 1st gen and bought the 10.5" and could not be happier. The 12.9" is a GREAT, but portability was a bit of an issue. I do consider it an almost-laptop-replacement, with the full-app split screen being truly awesome. But lugging it around the house, or pulling it on a flight or train was a bit of a hassle. The 10.5" has solved all those first-world problems for me, without sacrificing too much screen real estate. Sure, the split screen apps aren't full, but they're good enough. No regrets (at least not until the NEXT iPad comes out)

Reactions: chfilm

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I upgraded from 9.7 Pro to the 10.5. After about a week I just didn't find it much of an upgrade in screen size. I decided to try the 12.9 and I love the extra real estate. At first I thought it was too big but got used to it in a day, now I could never go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.