Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
On iOS 16 and earlier, there are two annoying problems:

1) background apps get blocked. If I upload a big file to Telegram and don't keep the app open, it stops loading. Would staring at a spinning icon while keeping the app in the foreground be productive, according to Apple?
2) When I press quickly on the touchscreen, in some areas of the system inputs are not "accepted" until the animations come to an end. Is this also reputed to be productive? Compared to Android, the overall responsiveness is reduced.

Otherwise, I have no problems with iOS. I would appreciate, at most, a universal method of going back. The issue is always different, and when you are forced to press X at the top it is uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable.

Thank you!

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
Nope, nothing you mention has been changed in 17. No multitasking/background processing and no universal back method.

The changes you want would only come as part of a huge reimagining/restructuring of iOS which isn’t likely anytime soon…

Reactions: Ultra AleM

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Nope, nothing you mention has been changed in 17. No multitasking/background processing and no universal back method.

The changes you want would only come as part of a huge reimagining/restructuring of iOS which isn’t likely anytime soon…
That’s a shame. It’s not productive at all. Android is way more productive because of these two things.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Thank you!
1) Continue uploads in the background exists as a multitasking feature for well over a decade on iOS. If Telegram didn't implement it correctly, file a complaint with them.

2) Responsiveness before animations was literally a development principle since the beginning of iPhoneOS.

You're welcome!

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
1) Continue uploads in the background exists as a multitasking feature for well over a decade on iOS. If Telegram didn't implement it correctly, file a complaint with them.

2) Responsiveness before animations was literally a development principle since the beginning of iPhoneOS.

You're welcome!
Nope. Telegram and every other app doesn’t upload anything on the background. And touch is not responsive during some animations in some areas of the system or apps.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
You can’t even render a video in iMovie itself without hiding the app and use something else

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Nope. Telegram and every other app doesn’t upload anything on the background. And touch is not responsive during some animations in some areas of the system or apps.
That's just not true!

As a Windows User with an iPhone, I am using Onedrive quite heavily, particularly for uploading photos taken with my iPhone so I do have them in my photos app on my Windows 11 machine.

And every single photo I take is always there when I turn on my PC. Sometimes I do not even open the Onedrive app on my iPhone for days, yet all the recent photos are in the photos app on Windows 11.

Must be doing something wrong here 😵‍💫

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

1) background apps get blocked. If I upload a big file to Telegram and don't keep the app open, it stops loading. Would staring at a spinning icon while keeping the app in the foreground be productive, according to Apple?
2) When I press quickly on the touchscreen, in some areas of the system inputs are not "accepted" until the animations come to an end. Is this also reputed to be productive? Compared to Android, the overall responsiveness is reduced.
1. Must be a Telegram thing. I’ve never encountered that with Dropbox, for example.
2. Can you be more specific? What animation is running that prevents touch? I’ve never noticed this behavior but the description is vague.

Reactions: jhuynh

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
1. Must be a Telegram thing. I’ve never encountered that with Dropbox, for example.
2. Can you be more specific? What animation is running that prevents touch? I’ve never noticed this behavior but the description is vague.
Try opening a menu in Settings. You can’t swipe immediately back from the left. You need to wait a bit. And many more scenarios.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I never had problems with responsiveness and I'm running iOS since the A4 (32-bit, 800 MHz, single-core).

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Try opening a menu in Settings. You can’t swipe immediately back from the left. You need to wait a bit. And many more scenarios.
I can, but the swipe must start form the very left edge of the display. If you start a few pixels into the display, the swipe will not register as a back swipe, but as a swipe within the app. You're obviously don't know what you're doing, that's why it doesn't "work" for you.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I can, but the swipe must start form the very left edge of the display. If you start a few pixels into the display, the swipe will not register as a back swipe, but as a swipe within the app. You're obviously don't know what you're doing, that's why it doesn't "work" for you.
On android I can go immediately back. I don’t have to wait 1 s for my gesture to be accepted. It’s a bit annoying. It happens in many areas. Not only in Settings. In other areas the responsiveness is okay, as in the Home Screen.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
On android I can go immediately back. I don’t have to wait 1 s for my gesture to be accepted. It’s a bit annoying. It happens in many areas. Not only in Settings. In other areas the responsiveness is okay, as in the Home Screen.
Nobody cares about your Android tales. Just learn how to use iOS.

• Angry
Reactions: uecker87

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I don't understand why not to take criticism. I like iOS. But if it is objectively less "responsive" than Android on super-fast touches, I don't understand why deny the evidence or attack me.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Nobody cares about your Android tales. Just learn how to use iOS.

I don't understand why not to take criticism. I like iOS. But if it is objectively less "responsive" than Android on super-fast touches, I don't understand why deny the evidence or attack me.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Just swipe from the left.
That’s the problem. It doesn’t work immediately during the animation when you just entered the tab. You have to swipe multiple times before it actually goes back. It’s a matter of 1 s or less but it’s pretty annoying. And it happens in many other scenarios.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Trying to understand... so like, go into Settings > Wifi and then touch "Settings" in the top left to go back? (I think that's the same as "Swiping" that you mentioned, I prefer to use the back link).

I.... guess I see what you mean. I have to be pretty quick to touch the Back link before it's ready to accept input. As you said, less than a second. It sometimes happens where I need to back out of a menu, e.g. if I touch the wrong one accidentally. I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed this delay, and I'm quite positive it's never caused me any consternation. But maybe people with quicker reflexes than mine, do have problems with it.

Has this been reported to Apple? https://apple.com/feedback/

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Yeah, I’ve certainly never noticed this until playing around with it now (it takes real effort). I tried toggling “Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions,” and this made the issue seem more pronounced (maybe due to longer animation)… do you happen to have that turned on?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
…that’s a UI transition animation. It’s entirely intentional.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I think I have different definitions of 'serious problem' and lack of productivity than the OP.

The fraction of a second that I can't immediately swipe back to where I came from due to an animation playing doesn't impact my productivity in the slightest. Nor is it a serious problem to me.

Switching to Android, where I would lose all built in integration with my watch, my computers, iPad, Apple TVs, and a whole host of services ... that would be huge productivity hit. Huge. That fraction of a second animation? Don't even notice it in that context.

Reactions: tphalp

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I think I have different definitions of 'serious problem' and lack of productivity than the OP.

The fraction of a second that I can't immediately swipe back to where I came from due to an animation playing doesn't impact my productivity in the slightest. Nor is it a serious problem to me.

Switching to Android, where I would lose all built in integration with my watch, my computers, iPad, Apple TVs, and a whole host of services ... that would be huge productivity hit. Huge. That fraction of a second animation? Don't even notice it in that context.

If, like me, you are used to doing operations super fast, it is a significant waste of time. The various seconds lost add up to one another. As for the rest, true that with Android you lose integration with some Apple devices, but the opposite is also true: there are features on Android that you don't have on iOS.

Reactions: owidhh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.