Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you prefer the stainless steel or aluminium (sport) watch?

• I preferred the stainless steel

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • I preferred the aluminium (sport)

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I switched from SS to Sports but then quickly went back to SS.

I really liked the screen of the Sports — as I understand it the IonX glass is actually clearer than the Sapphire and it seemed to give richer, darker colours.

But the aluminium body made it feel cheap and I didn't feel I could successfully pair it with any of the straps except the Sports one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But the aluminium body made it feel cheap and I didn't feel I could successfully pair it with any of the straps except the Sports one.

This was my biggest issue with the Sports model as well. It was too light and it just had more of a “Toy” appeal on my wrist. The stainless changed that quickly and it has a much stronger aesthetic, which virtually any band can be paired with it. Given the price tag was higher, I believe it was worth it to me.

Reactions: rugmankc

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
on a nike watch currently and love mine and realise the nicer look is nice but when i upgrade so often can't really spend so much every year on a SS model. Does the same as the sport watches at the end of the day

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I've used Series 0 AL (Sport) and Series 2 SS for roughly the same duration of 17 months, so I'll chip in with my experience.

- I liked the lightness of AL and still do, but I was able to get used to the weighty feel of SS after a few days.
- I also liked the brighter screen on AL, but again, I got used to the SS screen soon enough.
- SS still looks brand new after 17 months. AL showed wear and scratches within a month.

Point 3 is the biggest reason why I will be getting the SS version when I need to buy an updated model. Sadly, Series 3 SS is tied to LTE version and that model hasn't launched in my home country, so I'll be stuck with Series 2 for the foreseeable future. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
The problem with stainless model..resale value is very low... If you have sport model... U can still get back 50% after a year... if u want to upgrade every yr

antnee

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I tried and failed, bought a S3 Sport as an upgrade and gave it to my wife. Broke down and bought a SS S3 after having a SS S0. I plan to give it its two years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The problem with stainless model..resale value is very low... If you have sport model... U can still get back 50% after a year... if u want to upgrade every yr

True. The stainless model will not hold value because of the materials, the Aluminim model is usually the likely choice because it’s much lighter on the wrist and both watches are operating the same OS.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I gave the silver aluminium watch originally and now have the S3 in stainless steel. In all honesty, I like both and I’m not sure which I’ll get next time round.

My aluminium watch still looks like new and any scratches on the back don’t bother me because they’re on the back. The screen is noticeably better on the aluminium even though the original watch wasn’t as bright as the new one. The back of the stainless steel also seems to get grubby quicker (I guess the extra weight means more sweat behind the watch).

In terms of straps, I don’t like the look of the black woven nylon or sport loop with the silver aluminium (the contrast of the black lugs against the almost white silver of the aluminium looks wrong to me). All my other straps work on either but I have to say to me (and I know this is something most will disagree with) the Milanese loop looks much better with the aluminium than with the stainless steel.

Reactions: BigPictureGuy

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I gave the silver aluminium watch originally and now have the S3 in stainless steel. In all honesty, I like both and I’m not sure which I’ll get next time round.

My aluminium watch still looks like new and any scratches on the back don’t bother me because they’re on the back. The screen is noticeably better on the aluminium even though the original watch wasn’t as bright as the new one. The back of the stainless steel also seems to get grubby quicker (I guess the extra weight means more sweat behind the watch).

In terms of straps, I don’t like the look of the black woven nylon or sport loop with the silver aluminium (the contrast of the black lugs against the almost white silver of the aluminium looks wrong to me). All my other straps work on either but I have to say to me (and I know this is something most will disagree with) the Milanese loop looks much better with the aluminium than with the stainless steel.

I'm mostly in the same boat as you on this. I had a S2SS and went with the Aluminum S3LTE. However, I went with Space Gray this time around, and I've found that I don't like any of my bands with it at all. It's unfortunate that I let it go beyond the exchange period. I'll probably end up selling it and grabbing the silver aluminum or another stainless steel.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I went from an SS with Link Bracelet S0 to an S3 Space Grey sport. I miss the SS especially with the link Bracelet but it was pretty much worthless when I sold it and I got the sport for a very price. I think ignoring residuals the SS is the better watch. After nearly 3 years it was still in very good condition. I have my doubts about the sport lasting as well cosmetically

How was the watch running after 3 years? I’m thinking about picking up a SS Series 0 for cheap.

antnee

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
How was the watch running after 3 years? I’m thinking about picking up a SS Series 0 for cheap.

It’s good for very basic function, unless you get a brand new battery is not long. I just swapped from a SS S0 to a SS S3

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It’s good for very basic function, unless you get a brand new battery is not long. I just swapped from a SS S0 to a SS S3

Yeah I’m a basic function guy with the watches and don’t use them for apps at all.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The Only thing I would caution you of purchasing a first generation Apple Watch at this point, is if it’s used, then the battery likely is near its replacement could cost you more money if it won’t hold a charge for very long. Of Course that’s how much the Apple Watch was used/charged and when it was actually purchased. Then of course, there was the battery swelling related issue with first generation Apple Watches.

If it was me, I would perhaps look at a Series one used, as it’s a much safer bet.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
Went from a SS S0 to a space grey Nike+ S3. I put a screen protector on it right out of the box....and I've already put a small nik in my s3 right next to the screen on day 4. It's like the first ding on your car...it'll take a bit of time but you'll get it over it...

antnee

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Went from a SS S0 to a space grey Nike+ S3. I put a screen protector on it right out of the box....and I've already put a small nik in my s3 right next to the screen on day 4. It's like the first ding on your car...it'll take a bit of time but you'll get it over it...

Same thing happened to me and gave it to my wife haha

Reactions: nospleen

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I went from an S0 SS to an S3 SG aluminum non-LTE. I didn’t wear a watch for years. I didn’t like the feel of the strap. Now I have the black Milanese and love it. The mesh strap lets my skin breathe and is very comfortable. Because of the magnet closure it is infinitely adjustable. I like this better than the SS Watch because it is much lighter. I barely know it is there. Battery life is fantastic. I wear it at night as a sleep monitor (Sleep++) in Theater mode. In the morning it still has 100 or 99% charge. No scratches after about 6 months, maybe because I’m old and don’t move as quickly.

I didn’t see the value in SS. I don’t care that much about the fashion aspect. I like the lightness of aluminum. Being relatively inexpensive, if it gets crushed in a year or two I’m not out that much money.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

For me, it was an absolute must-have the Sapphire display to protect against scratches. When I did first own the Apple Watch in April 2015, I immediately sold the Sport watch because I was not content with how easily it scratched. The Sapphire on the stainless model helped resolve that.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
After months of changing from SG to SS to SB (all series3) my first apple watch...

I cant justify the price of SS...
I will settle with SG aluminum version for now...
All my bands looks nice with SG version...
Im liking the weight of the aluminum version....

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Anyone know from experience that scratches are covered by apple care? Seems to me scratches would be classified normal wear.
Just crack the screen. Then they will replace it. Unless you are wanting them to replace it without the $69 fee.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just crack the screen. Then they will replace it. Unless you are wanting them to replace it without the $69 fee.

Although what you’re saying is not fraud necessarily, I don’t agree that one should damage the product intentionally just to have it replaced.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I’ve decided to go back to the SS. I really like one of the new nylon bands (white one with blue/green stripes), and the new Blanc Hermès Rally. Neither one (in my opinion), really look great with space gray. I’ll take this S3 LTE space and give it to a friend of mine.

Though I’d like to get the model with the Milanese Loop, I think I’ll skip it as I’m afraid the band will scratch my space gray MacBook Pro. Soft white sport band here I come.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I’ve decided to go back to the SS. I really like one of the new nylon bands (white one with blue/green stripes), and the new Blanc Hermès Rally. Neither one (in my opinion), really look great with space gray. I’ll take this S3 LTE space and give it to a friend of mine.

Though I’d like to get the model with the Milanese Loop, I think I’ll skip it as I’m afraid the band will scratch my space gray MacBook Pro. Soft white sport band here I come.
I had the Milanese with steel and while I tried to be gentle and careful it made micro scratches on my MacBook. Switched to using sport bands and no problem, even though, pin on the band is steel. Probably no problem because the pin is smooth and polished, whether it's stainless steel or black painted steel pin

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I had the Milanese with steel and while I tried to be gentle and careful it made micro scratches on my MacBook. Switched to using sport bands and no problem, even though, pin on the band is steel. Probably no problem because the pin is smooth and polished, whether it's stainless steel or black painted steel pin

Those were my thoughts! I just picked up the SS with the soft white band. I also tried on the Hermès Rally. It’s too big, which is a huge bummer. In order for it to fit me, the pin would have had to gone through one of the big holes. :(

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Prefer steel for all the reasons mentioned, but also for the silky smooth feel when using the crown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.