Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all,

I have recently sold my Mac Mini 2018 for a Mac Studio. I use a 32" LG monitor with HDMI and display port input.

I have always used an eGPU via thunderbolt3 and then from the GPU with a display port -> display port cable to my monitor.

Is there any difference using a thunderbolt3 to HDMI cable instead of a thunderbolt3 to display port cable a part the monitor input?
The Mac Studio can hold 4k@60hz over HDMI, the Mac Mini 4k@30Hz so I have never used HDMI port.

Can I use it on my Mac Studio or there are limitation or difference between using a display port I can't see?

Thanks a lot.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Studio has an HDMI port on the back.
Why not try HDMI (Studio) --> HDMI (display) ?

If you already have an HDMI cable around, try that.
Does it work?

Older cables may not have enough bandwidth to realize the full capabilities of the port. If you think that's the case, you could try an HDMI cable rated for "8k", perhaps something like this:

Reactions: CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
The Studio has an HDMI port on the back.
Why not try HDMI (Studio) --> HDMI (display) ?

If you already have an HDMI cable around, try that.
Does it work?

Older cables may not have enough bandwidth to realize the full capabilities of the port. If you think that's the case, you could try an HDMI cable rated for "8k", perhaps something like this:
I will try. I have an HDMI to HDMI cable at home that is rated for High Speed HDMI 2.0 cable, 4K UHD @60Hz, 18 Gbps.

iKnowMyABGz

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2022
Honolulu, HI
So coming from an Apple studio M2(up’d from M1/both max) owner I’ll let you know they (APPLE*for some stupid reason) actually limit the ports more to the extent most people are either telling you or just outright know. Because me being one of them wondering wtf can’t my 49” monitor achieve 240hz as stated. Went and bought hundred dollar cords/adapters etc…Until I read that anything via HDMI-HDMI configured can’t achieve higher than 60hz @8k for Max, 144hz for Ultra. This is for just having 1 monitor connected. I’m not sure what 8k would look like or 4k for that matter at such a low refresh rate. When I finally got my Display port-USB-C cable it was like night and day compared to HDMI-HDMI(btw HDMI is not compatible with DisplayPort as each have dif types of signal. Only get around for this is if you have “Dual mode Dport as long as you have a passive adapter cable connected). No matter what I did I couldn’t for the life of me get my refresh rate higher than 60hz even at lower res with HDMI. Stayed at 60 no matter what, and my default res is 5120x1440. As soon as I plugged in my new found cord as I guess this “display port to usb-c” is very new and cables that worked just came out like this year if not end of last.
Okay sorry for the novel lol took me over a year to figure out what I was doing wrong. So long story short if you’re using a 4k 120hz display, you’re only able to use half the refresh rate with an HDMI connection while DisplayPort gets you the maximum. If your monitor doesn’t go above 60hz then honestly connection doesn’t matter as you can’t tell dif!

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Such adventures naturally breed novellas (if not novels) . . . you're not doing anything wrong :)

I have three Dell P2715Q's (thus, I don't have anything that can achieve anything above 60Hz), and held-fast to the legacy of connecting them via DP.

Two are successfully attached to an OWC TB->2DP adapter attached to my Studio, while the other is connected to both my MP5,1 (HDMI (pen-Ultimate Spec)) and the CWWK AL-4L (DP->mDP)

It's been quite a ride rolling with all the options.

Getting a Screen is pretty important . . . glad you got yours <smile>

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
No matter what I did I couldn’t for the life of me get my refresh rate higher than 60hz even at lower res with HDMI.
Interesting. I did a little quick Googling. From what I understand with the Mac Studio line, the M1 series had HDMI 2.0 and the M2 series had HDMI 2.1. If you monitor supports 4K at 120-Hz (what monitor are you using?), and you're trying to drive a refresh rate over 60-Hz with the M2 Mac Studio, what is the problem? What higher refresh rate(s) did you try?

So let me ask this...is the HDMI cable you're attempting this with an HDMI 2.1 cable?

Apologies if I'm missing obvious things; I didn't go digging into HDMI standards until it came up as a question with a kid's recent PC purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.