Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some new OLED iPad Pro models appear to have an issue with HDR content in select shades of blue, according to a review from iMore. The site found that some blue colors cause HDR highlights to blow out and appear nearly white, a defect that can be spotted in the form of compression artifacts in sample images.

imore-ipad-pro-compression-issue.jpg
Image via iMore
In a relatively specific set of circumstances, HDR highlights are blown out on certain blue shades including navy and indigo to a point that they almost appear white on screen. The best way to spot it would be to look at a character wearing a navy blue shirt -- the creases appear to shimmer, like a spider's web placed over the surface; at other times it appears like an inky blob morphing over it.
iMore said that the problem is visible "under very specific circumstances" and it can't be seen on other OLED devices such as the iPhone 15 Pro. It's also a bug that is hard to spot most of the time, and there's no clear reason why it's happening.

Apple told iMore that it is aware of the issue and is working on a software update to fix it.

Article Link: HDR Bug Impacts OLED iPad Pro, Apple Working on Software Fix

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It’s always a good idea to wait out the initial production run. Three to four months. It’s always possible that a hardware issue could persist for longer, but often these issues are worked out in the factory early on. I know Apple said it’s a software issue, but I think that’s just their knee jerk response. They’re probably not sure if it’s software related or something else at this early stage. I’ve never heard Apple say it could be a hardware issue, but we have to investigate it further. It’s always a software issue…at first.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I preordered from Best Buy this afternoon. I hope that wasn’t a mistake. At least I have 60 days to try it and see if there are any problems.

I don’t understand how something like this only happening to some units could be a software issue, though I understand how there might be a way to patch it with a software fix.

I should known not to look on this group after preordering new tech. 😂

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
when these kinds of things happen people say “I’ll just wait a couple/few months…”

Apple has like the best customer service. every new product comes with a one year warranty.

unless you don’t want to deal with the hassle of a potential return or exchange, there’s little reason to wait months and months in this day and age. especially when some fixes are software related and are super small anyway.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Not to worry, everyone, for the official word has come from Apple Support: this is not an issue because it if was, Apple Support would know about it before it ever affected a single customer, because Apple Support talks to millions of customers every hour. So, to troubleshoot this known issue, you'll need to erase and reinstall the OS. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you'll need to submit an RTA to Engineering. Engineering will get back to you in 48 hours, to inform you that this is a known issue, keep your device up to date, and no further troubleshooting will be provided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.