Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s66

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
I've been looking for a media player that can actually output HDR properly.

- needs to support more file formats than Apple's Quicktime such as mkv and the like
- needs to work on a MP7,1 + VegaII + XDR display

What I have tested so far:

- VLC: no joy, is a darkened image you get
- IINA: no joy, is a darkened image you get - they seem to point to the root cause in "mpv" ?
- Elmedia Player: no joy, is a darkened image you get

- Quicktime: works beautifully in HDR, but only for a limited set of file formats
- Firefox, Chrome and Safari: works on websites like youtube in HDR, but well it's not a media player as such

I tried it full screen, windowed etc: makes no difference. In fact windowed you can show it right next to Quicktime showing the same input properly.

My test material of choice:
Youtube:
It's got very highly visible HDR effects, so it's easy to spot if it's there or not.
The file can be downloaded before Google/Youtube got it as well:
https://mega.nz/file/qdVg0IIK#B0L811GNQkvnEpZsE5558cpTKCaEGzohHwRjF6-3_gs

XDR settings - but those should be irrelevant as Quicktime does show HDR content properly.
View attachment 1689710
I'm trying on macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur).

So the question:
Is there any media player that's
- reasonably priced
- outputs HDR properly
- can read all the relevant file formats (including mp4, mkv, etc.)

Bonus:
- able to find and download subtitles
- decent user interface
- "just works"
- universal binary (so no rosetta 2 on an M1 based mac)

While I'm testing it right now on a MP7,1 with an XDR display, my real target is a Mac Mini M1 that's due for delivery RSN that will be hooked up to a huge OLED TV - which adds more variables as it should require a HDMI2.0b port and I suspect the the HDMI port on that mac isn't able to do HDR in 4K to start with (TB3 to HDMI cable/adapter might be the way to go there).

Last edited:

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Remux those MKV to MP4 and play them in QuickTime. I don't know any other player that can play HDR on a HDR display.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
A Plex server will allow you to watch HDR either on your Mac or on your TV using their or other clients. Reads almost everything. It is a complicated chain and don't have your configuration to test.

my real target is a Mac Mini M1

Checking the Plex forums seems to work.

Charles0351

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
London, England
as far as I known, the movist player/ movist pro player is works fine on my MacBook Pro , which connect to a 4k ASUS display using a hdmi cable, or you can wait the infuse Mac version come out, developers in infuse are working on it.

alcapone

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2007
Optimus Player works for HDR10 and supports every file format I've thrown at it.

Reactions: Verloc and chinnnki

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
Optimus Player works for HDR10 and supports every file format I've thrown at it.

How does the CPU/GPU usage compare to Quicktime Player playing a file which is supported by both players? So far I've tried IINA (and its underlying mpv directly) and VLC, and they consume much more resources than QTP and are not colour accurate. Also curious about Movist, BTW.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
I'm using MPV (open source) binary natively on MacOS 11.1 on a Mac Mini M1 with 27UK850 4K HDR monitor (not XDR). I see the requirements and the bonus points you mentioned - checks all of them except "just works".

I use this setup:
hwdec=videotoolbox
tone-mapping=reinhard
tone-mapping-param=0.7

While HDR playback is not proper in macos, for the time being this is what I've been using. It's not perfect but I am willing to bet, this will get you enjoyable experience with 90% of the media out there. I've learnt to live with it.

Here is an example, check it out.

MPV Default

default.png

MPV Tone Mapped

mpv-hdr-mapped.png

Reactions: Sk2 and Verloc

yannisgk

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I tried the movist player on my non-hdr monitor playing an hdr movie, and the results were almost perfect!!!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Infuse (Beta) for Mac works perfectly even when not used as a media server player. Just open up the file manually.

Reactions: antsh

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
“I'm using MPV (open source) binary natively on MacOS 11.1 on a Mac Mini M1 with 27UK850 4K HDR monitor (not XDR). I see the requirements and the bonus points you mentioned - checks all of them except "just works".”
Thanks for MPV, I was looking for a replacement to IINA for playing MKV file in HDR and MPV is perfect with my BenQ PD2700U display on my Mac Mini M1. I found on this site what to configure the viewing: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#synopsis
Thanks again... ;-)

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I just purchased Optimus player and it's quite cool, plays HDR well.... however - WindowServer CPU usage jumps to 110-120% when using it, which causes my M1 Pro fans to start spinning after a while. Seriously, that is an achievement, even heavy workflows rarely spin fans, but this player does it after 30 mins of playback.

Worst part - even when you quit the app, WindowServer stays at that percentage. I have to restart my Mac to get it down.

It doesn't happen with any other player. And yes, Optimus is optimized for Apple Silicon.

Edit: just tested Movist and it does the same thing. WindowServer jumps to 150%.... is it HDR? Not sure. It looks spectacular, but the same thing happens - that WindowServer usage just wont drop, even after closing the app.

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I just purchased Optimus player and it's quite cool, plays HDR well.... however - WindowServer CPU usage jumps to 110-120% when using it, which causes my M1 Pro fans to start spinning after a while. Seriously, that is an achievement, even heavy workflows rarely spin fans, but this player does it after 30 mins of playback.

Worst part - even when you quit the app, WindowServer stays at that percentage. I have to restart my Mac to get it down.

It doesn't happen with any other player. And yes, Optimus is optimized for Apple Silicon.

Edit: just tested Movist and it does the same thing. WindowServer jumps to 150%.... is it HDR? Not sure. It looks spectacular, but the same thing happens - that WindowServer usage just wont drop, even after closing the app.
Try this. Go to System Preferences. And make sure to always show the menu bar even in full screen. Let me know if it still does it. There was a weird bug but idk if it's still bugged or not

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Try this. Go to System Preferences. And make sure to always show the menu bar even in full screen. Let me know if it still does it. There was a weird bug but idk if it's still bugged or not

I'll check it out, but I've tried Movist and it seems to drop WindowServer usage when turned off, also when I switch from Hardware (Forced) to Hardware in Video settings, it seems to keep WindowServer low while the app gets more CPU time - which is fine, you quit the app after watching a movie and everything is normal again.

Reactions: white7561

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Infuse is now out of beta. One of the most popular video players (based on the number of forum posts). Just open the .mkv file in the Infuse app and your'e on your way.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Infuse is now out of beta. One of the most popular video players (based on the number of forum posts). Just open the .mkv file in the Infuse app and your'e on your way.

Doesn't Infuse require a subscription?

Edit: Yup, just checked, in order to play HDR content, you need the Pro version which requires a subscription. It's not too expensive, but Movist does the job quite well and is a single $4.99 or $7.99 (depending on version) purchase. Quite happy with it.

Last edited:

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019

I believe this is an issue with ProMotion. As a test please disable it and set the refresh rate manually to 2x the video framerate (or just 60). Does it make the issue go away? Also, is your OS fully updated? This issue was apparently fixed, and I couldn't reproduce it on my M1 Max 16" after a quick test. I usually have PM turned off as it seems to give me better battery life. IMO this feature needs more polishing.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I believe this is an issue with ProMotion. As a test please disable it and set the refresh rate manually to 2x the video framerate (or just 60). Does it make the issue go away? Also, is your OS fully updated? This issue was apparently fixed, and I couldn't reproduce it on my M1 Max 16" after a quick test. I usually have PM turned off as it seems to give me better battery life. IMO this feature needs more polishing.
Absolutely no CPU usage problems on my 16" MBP either with the default ProMotion settings. (12.2; Optimus Player v1.4, which is BTW still Intel)

fabdub

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
I don't know how compressed my screenshot will be on here but I have a screenshot of a shot from Dune in HDR in 4 players, from top left to right:
Movist, Infuse, Optimus, IINA.

I find Optimus less "flashy" there but shows more details because of it? Looks like the most balanced player, on my mbp 14" anyway.

Attachments

• videos compared.png
    videos compared.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 766
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.