Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I don't think anyone should turn HDR on unless they are watching full screen video unless Big Sur has fixed HDR for normal apps?
Your input is greatly appreciated joevt. HDR looked amazing on the $5,000 Apple display in the Apple store, so believe it would look great when the signal is correct? Regardless though, really need the option, especially when doing video editing from the new iPhone.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

miaotata

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020

If it works for the LG UltraFine 5K and HP Z27q then it should work for the Dell UP2715K. You need to connect both DisplayPort cables. You can try one per Thunderbolt port. If that doesn't work, then you need to connect both to the same Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt dock or a Thunderbolt to dual DisplayPort adapter. Let us know if it works. Take a photo of the onscreen menu showing 5120x2880 resolution.
Finally figured out how to make it work. When first connected thunderbolt 3 to dual displayport from new mac to my Dell UP2715k, it only outputs 848*480 for some reason. I can use apps like EasyRes to manually set my Dell to 5120*2880, but no High DPI option available.

However if i put the laptop on sleep and wake it up, it will correctly recognize my dell and shows the 5120*2880 at 2x Retina scale correctly.

It's the weirdest thing ever and I have to do it again every time I turn on my laptop but at least there is a way to make it work now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.14.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.14.22 PM.png
    111 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 202

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Finally figured out how to make it work. When first connected thunderbolt 3 to dual displayport from new mac to my Dell UP2715k, it only outputs 848*480 for some reason. I can use apps like EasyRes to manually set my Dell to 5120*2880, but no High DPI option available.

However if i put the laptop on sleep and wake it up, it will correctly recognize my dell and shows the 5120*2880 at 2x Retina scale correctly.

It's the weirdest thing ever and I have to do it again every time I turn on my laptop but at least there is a way to make it work now.
Grats!

Sleep and Wake doesn't sound so bad (as long as you don't have external drives that go away after a sleep). On my Hackintosh, I can power off and on the display to switch from 4K to 5K after a boot.

Did you try using one DisplayPort connection per port?

Greg S

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
And what about HDR video files playback? And I am thinking about mkv hevc files.
Is it working on M1? Any software recommendations? Any luck? Or is it to soon right now?

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
And what about HDR video files playback? And I am thinking about mkv hevc files.
Is it working on M1? Any software recommendations? Any luck? Or is it to soon right now?
I need an answer to this as well.

Does Macbook Air / Mac Mini support 4k@60hz HDR?
When exchanging my LG Oled C7 with a CX, what about 4k@120hz. (4:4:4 Chroma?)

Any app out there that plays mkv hevc files with HDR 4k@24hz (mostly 24hz with movies)?

Any difference with supported resolution/HDR support between the Air and Mini?

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
And I'll ask again:

Do you know what bluetooth codecs that are supported on the new Mini and Macs? With headphone use. (AAC? AptX?)
Any W1/H1 chip?

Filmx

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
Any updates to this? I just received my Macbook Pro M1 and would like to connect it to my LG CX 48" at 120hz or as high as possible. What's the most futureproof solution even if it's currently limited to 4k 60hz?

git-anish

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2020
HDR makes the UI look very odd as well. With HDR on (right), the dark UI colors have a purple/brown hue to them. It does not look good. It's hard to capture, but tried:
View attachment 1677048 View attachment 1677049

I do believe I loose 4:4:4, but I think I retain 60hz.

I did order a USB-C > Display Port 1.4 cable to see if that makes a difference on my monitor that does not give an HRD option.
I'm seeing the same boosted grays on my 3219Q

hope macOS is updated to fix this and the HDCP issues

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Those having a funny tint of the user interface in Big Sur:

 > System Preferences ... > General
uncheck the "Allow wallpaper tinting in windows"

It's the most moronic thing I've seen in years that seems to pickup a "tint" from the background and use that to screw up the color of the user interface in Big Sur.

That default psychedelic background makes it even worse I'm afraid.

Might not be enough to fix things, but it's one less variable already.

View attachment 1689862

Last edited:

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
To play back HDR content: test it first with quicktime and a mp4 file ...

I've been anticipating my M1 mac mini to arrive and been looking at software that plays HDR content on my XDR screens: (which are very capable of producing HDR brightness) - I found nothing but browsers and Quicktime that could play HDR - none of the usual media players that can handle things like mkv output HDR content without making it dark and gloomy.

see here:

I too am interested in a working HDR media player on the mac.

Last edited:

zhecai

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
To play back HDR content: test it first with quicktime and a mp4 file ...

I've been anticipating my M1 mac mini to arrive and been looking at software that plays HDR content on my XDR screens: (which are very capable of producing HDR brightness) - I found nothing but browsers and Quicktime that could play HDR - none of the usual media players that can handle things like mkv output HDR content without making it dark and gloomy.

see here:

I too am interested in a working HDR media player on the mac.
Same issue, IINA and Movistpro are not working HDR as they use to be on Intel mac.

Johnny McCash

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Still broken.
Please elaborate. I found this thread as I'm considering getting the M1 Mac mini and doubling it as an HTPC. Just need 4k60 HDR, but 4:4:4 would be nice as well in the UI. I read somewhere else that there was an update to Big Sur that fixed something-something WRT HDR, also mentioning washed-out colors and "off" hues, so I was thinking this might've fixed some of the mentions in this thread.

What does "still broken" mean exactly? Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.