Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Would definitely spend the extra money and get the D90. Much better bang for buck. The D40 and D60 are cameras that you will grow out of very quickly.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!! YOU'VE BEEN A GREAT HELP........SO WHAT LIKE MOST PEOPLE SUGGEST HERE.... ILL JUST BUY A D40 SINCE IM JUST STARTING AND BUY SOME DECENT FLASH THAT I CAN USED AS WELL IF I DECIDED TO UPGRADE MY DSLR IN THE FUTURE (and surely will happen).....

so can you guys suggest what flash should i purchase...and what lens should i buy for the meantime.....:confused::confused::confused:

If you can swing it, the SB-600 has a head that swivels, so you can bounce the flash off the ceiling and get softer light. Lens-wise, I'd wait a couple of months to see what you need- that way you can figure out what shots you're not getting and add the appropriate lens (faster, longer, shorter...)

numbersyx said:
The D40 and D60 are cameras that you will grow out of very quickly.

Funnily enough, the folks I know who've had D40's for a while haven't "grown out of them very quickly." The few limitations these cameras have are actually a reason to learn to be a photographer instead of a button pusher. I find the biggest limitation is that manual focus is difficult without changing focusing screens- but the D80 has the same "green dot" indicator instead of the "green dot and directional triangles" on the D2 series cameras. The eight additional AF points on a D80 are useful, but not critical- outside of that how do you propose someone "grows out of" a camera body with the normal Nikon "PASM" modes?

If you have specific types of photography in mind, then specific features of a camera body come into play- absent that, lens features are much more important and a much smarter place to spend extra money.

Last week I went to my business partner's house to do family xmas pics, and the biggest issue I had in using his D40 for the shots was that I had to put a $1.35 Hot Shoe to PC Sync adapter on it to use my strobes with it. Oh! Wait! The D80 and D90 don't have a PC Sync socket either!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Good choice - if you can't get the money together for a D90 or at least D80, the D40 is probably the best choice. That was the basic problem I had.

Stick with either the basic kit lens (the 18-55mm), or the package kit of the 18-55 and 55-200, or the pseudo-kit lens of the 18-135mm (I don't the D40 every officially came with the 18-135 the D60 did, but lots of retailers make a custom package like that available for a decent price).

If you are going to do a lot of nature photography, the 55-200 is probably a good place to start. For most indoor and outdoor "portrait" type shots the 18-55 is fine for. The 18-135 is a nice "in between" length if you want a cheap(er) all in one lens.

As for flashes, the SB600 (as recommended) is probably the best value in terms of price for features. It's about $200. It does just about everything you could want a flash to do.

That said, take a look at the SB400. I just got one and it's fantastic with my D40. It's MUCH smaller and lighter than the SB600 and half the price. It has two main drawback. First, it only tilts up and down, not left and right. That's only a serious problem when shooting portrait oriented photos (taller rather than larger, meaning you're holding the camera sideways). You pretty much have to either turn the flash off, use it as a direct flash, or bounce off the wall. This is pretty much the same situation as the built in flash, so you don't LOSE anything, and you can still bounce of the wall (though that looks funny, imo).

The other main drawback of the SB400 compared to the SB600 is the lack of wireless controls. The SB600 (and 800) can control other flashes wirelessly - telling them when to fire, for how long and how bright, etc etc. It's really great and useful IF you are planning on using studio lights, or other external flashes in a "slave" mode.

If you're not going to do studio work with extra stand flashes, though, it's almost useless. If you are a person deciding between a D40 and 80, I'm betting you're not going to do studio work with extra flashes... Also, the major strength of the SB400 over the 600 and 800 is its size and weight. It's much smaller than the other flashes, and as a result it fits on the D40 much better imo. I can't imagine putting an even larger flash on my camera than this one.

BTW, here's a small example of why I love my SB400 (put this up for some family members who don't get the expensive photography hobby)... http://infojunkie.net/flash/flash.html

[EDIT]
I wanted to address the comment on "growing out of the D40/60 series". I've only had mine for a few months now, but I can safely say I'm pretty sure I'll keep it for a couple years at least. The only reason I'd upgrade bodies is to add HD video, and I'll only do that once Nikon updates the D90 to something that can autofocus in video mode.

The only significant shortcoming the D40 has is the lens selection, and the only serious difference is in the fast primes, which is changing really quick here. Basically, if I had a D90, I would have bought the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 months ago - it's $110 and covers about half my shooting needs. The next best option on the D40 is the Sigma 50mm/f1.4 HSM and it's $385. A huge difference. BUT, the D40 is more than $275 less than the D90 (even when you compare D40 with lens to D90 body only) and that's probably still true even for D80's, so the D40 is still a better buy if you aren't looking at buying a ton of glass right away...

OK, that made my post super long - sorry!
[/EDIT]

Finally, just a note. Typing in all caps online is the equivalent of screaming. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it as the folks in the MR photography forum are super nice polite people. But, seriously, use the caps lock sparingly, OK?

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Stick with SB400 flash for smaller weight and take along size. The SB600 can't be used to trigger other flashes in the Nikon CLS system. You need to step up to the SB800, SB900 or the SU-800 commander. (The commander only triggers other CLS compatible flashes). If you want the bounce ability in 2 directions, the SB600 is ok. If you spring for a SB800 on top of a D40, the weight balance is funky.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Mrgreen,

You hit the nail on the head. The sb400 is a great speedlight for the size and weight - I love that thing. The sb600 kind of freaks out people when I want to take a group shot or whatever, but since the Op is doing a wedding I guess that is expected. However, I wouldn't just run out and buy anything without first testing.

That of the same with the primes. When I had my d40 I really wanted a 50mm prime that autofocused - so I had to get that sigma and man did it hurt.

I'll say one thing about "outgrowing the d40". It is not a matter of outgrowing - it is just a matter of the learning curve. The d40 lets you sit content on automode - made me really lazy. The d80 and up at least makes you attempt to compose shots intelligently (no offense). You have to think and also you are more involved in your shots. At least this has been my experience.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Stick with SB400 flash for smaller weight and take along size. The SB600 can't be used to trigger other flashes in the Nikon CLS system. You need to step up to the SB800, SB900 or the SU-800 commander. (The commander only triggers other CLS compatible flashes). If you want the bounce ability in 2 directions, the SB600 is ok. If you spring for a SB800 on top of a D40, the weight balance is funky.

Whoops, I thought the SB600 could run in commander mode. My bad. In that case there's no reason to buy the SB600, imo, unless you HAVE to have bounce flash in portrait orientation (and I suppose you could rig up a deflector for that).

numbercharm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Ill now go for d80

ill be making my purchase tomorrow and decided to go for d80....what i planned to do is:

INSTEAD of buying the whole kit of D80 that comes w/18-135mm ill go for

D80 body + 18-55mm + sb600

am i making the right decision???

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Not bad combination, I like it cause now you dont have to be afraid at using your DSLR at low light/indoor events cause you have a proper flash gun.

...Canon Speedlite 430 EX II - $319 - $243 converted to RM 1106 - RM 843.21. Price sold in Malaysia, RM1.6k++
...Hoya UV MultiCoated filter - $20 to $30 converted to RM 69 - RM 105. Price sold in Malaysia, RM200-RM300+.

Such a rip of!!!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
That of the same with the primes. When I had my d40 I really wanted a 50mm prime that autofocused - so I had to get that sigma and man did it hurt.

I'll say one thing about "outgrowing the d40". It is not a matter of outgrowing - it is just a matter of the learning curve. The d40 lets you sit content on automode - made me really lazy. The d80 and up at least makes you attempt to compose shots intelligently (no offense). You have to think and also you are more involved in your shots. At least this has been my experience.

I was/am THIS close to buying that lens. How do you like it? I'm really torn between that and the Sigma 18-200mm OS. They're about the same price, and while the 18-200 is more versatile, the 50mm is probably a "better" lens over all. The only thing that's making me lean toward the 18-200mm is I'm fairly sure I will eventually upgrade to the D90 (or whatever they replace the D90 with if they add the ability to autofocus while shooting video) and I can get the inexpensive Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (and keep the 18-200mm of course) at that point. I really want both, but combined that's about twice the price of the D40 body and just way outside my budget for the time being.

Anyways, I think that I shoot my D40 in Aperture priority mode about 95% of the time and I can't think of much reason to use the Auto or P mode. The AP mode, when used with the exposure control and auto ISO, makes shooting so ridiculously easy and gets such good results that I can't think of a reason to use anything else. I can't imagine anyone using any other shooting mode more than 5 or 10% of the time, other than photography students using M for learning (which I do for that reason occasionally) or people who like to fiddle with the settings in manual modes because they enjoy it.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I was/am THIS close to buying that lens. How do you like it? I'm really torn between that and the Sigma 18-200mm OS. They're about the same price, and while the 18-200 is more versatile, the 50mm is probably a "better" lens over all. The only thing that's making me lean toward the 18-200mm is I'm fairly sure I will eventually upgrade to the D90 (or whatever they replace the D90 with if they add the ability to autofocus while shooting video) and I can get the inexpensive Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (and keep the 18-200mm of course) at that point. I really want both, but combined that's about twice the price of the D40 body and just way outside my budget for the time being.

If you have the d40 mrgreen, and you are asking about the sigma 30mm - I will say its a great lens - but ouchie! I found it a little slow to focus compared to the nikon 50mm, because that thing is a little speed demon. What do you have right now in terms of lenses? I wish I can get an 18-200mm but really I am unable to justify the cost - that and I want to pursue other hobbies!

OP great combination. Make sure you get the VR version of the 18-55mm. They are very close in price right now but you will be thankful for the extra image stabilization. The D80 is a great camera! I really love mine and it's one of those sleeper cameras now that the D90 is out. Still a great model.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
compuwar said:
People produced wonderful photographs on all-manual 35mm film cameras with ASA 100 film back in the day- any modern DSLR has an advantage over that.

just for the record, modern DSLRs don't have a splitscreen viewfinder (or whatever that focusing circle is called), so manual focus isn't so accurate now.

I'd go with D80 with 18-55 and a flash, and pick your lenses from there. Maybe a prime, though I think 50mm is too long for indoor shooting.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
If you have the d40 mrgreen, and you are asking about the sigma 30mm - I will say its a great lens - but ouchie! I found it a little slow to focus compared to the nikon 50mm, because that thing is a little speed demon. What do you have right now in terms of lenses? I wish I can get an 18-200mm but really I am unable to justify the cost - that and I want to pursue other hobbies!

OP great combination. Make sure you get the VR version of the 18-55mm. They are very close in price right now but you will be thankful for the extra image stabilization. The D80 is a great camera! I really love mine and it's one of those sleeper cameras now that the D90 is out. Still a great model.

Sigma makes a 50mm f1.4 HSM now. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560578-USA/Sigma_310_306_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_EX.html

Expensive indeed, though.

At the moment I have only the 18-55mm Nikkor kit lens (non-VR). The Sigma 18-200mm with OS is only ~$360 at the moment, so definitely in my price range (when factoring in selling the 18-55mm). The 50mm f1.4 would be awesome, but I can't justify the price for it considering I would need to keep my current lens, and still have to spend another couple hundred on a longer zoom.

I'm 99% sure I'll get the Sigma 18-200mm HSM OS in the next 2 or 3 weeks, selling my kit lens to help fund it a little, and eventually upgrade my camera body to a used D90 once they come down in price considerably and add a Nikon 50mm f1.8 to my bag at the same time (they're only about $100). The 18-200mm and 50mm f1.8 should account for almost all of my shooting for the foreseeable future.

I'd like both, but I'm a pretty tight budget and I'd like to try to save some money for a "universal" underwater casing for the camera in the next year or so... of course, a fast prime would be nice for underwater... :p

jwalk

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
nikon d40, d60 or d80

I have been reading many comments on which Nikon camera to buy and I think more lean towards the d80. Problem is my pocketbook won't reach for it and Sam's has the d60 for 549.00 with the 18/55 lens which can be paid off interest free for 1 year. So.. do I pass and hope I can save up for a d80 or buy the d60 now and enjoy it. I am a kodak easyshare camera user and am trying to learn about lens etc.
Also, can you use the motor lens of the d60 in a d80 which has the motor built in?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I have been reading many comments on which Nikon camera to buy and I think more lean towards the d80. Problem is my pocketbook won't reach for it and Sam's has the d60 for 549.00 with the 18/55 lens which can be paid off interest free for 1 year. So.. do I pass and hope I can save up for a d80 or buy the d60 now and enjoy it. I am a kodak easyshare camera user and am trying to learn about lens etc.
Also, can you use the motor lens of the d60 in a d80 which has the motor built in?

Don't waste your money on the D60, imo. Get the D40 and an upgraded or second lens. Ans Nikon AF mount lens will work on the D80, including the AF-S lenses. The in lens motor will actually override the body motor when you use an AF-S lens on a D80 as the in lens focus is typically faster than the in body one.

jwalk

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
nikon d40, d60 or d80

does the d60 have any drawbacks to it over the d40 or its just a matter of spending the extra money on the d60 when I could get the d40 cheaper and be fine?
it's just that I found this deal and it is something I can do now so I am a bit torn.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I believe it's a matter of bang for your buck. The D40 takes really beautiful pictures that you can still get with the d60. The main differences lie in the MP and some other novelty features that are nice...but not really needed. The D60 has the same body as the D40 - and really the features for the price are not something to right home about.

The d60 and kit lens is the same price as the d80 body alone right now (at bh photo). I would take the opportunity to pick up a nice lens with the d80 body....or you can just get the kit lens separate through eBay for nice and cheap. People are always quickly upgrading there kit lenses.

jwalk

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
nikon d40, d60 or d80

So I am not going to hurt anything if I go with the d60? I am reading about the 10 mg being noisy? What do they mean by that? Should that be a decision maker?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
So I am not going to hurt anything if I go with the d60? I am reading about the 10 mg being noisy? What do they mean by that? Should that be a decision maker?

Most cameras with a higher sensor will be more noisy. This just means photos at higher ISOs will appear more grainy that is all. It really isn't the fault of the camera itself. It sounds like you are between the D40 and D60 with cost not being a factor between the two. I would go with the D40, as it is a general favorite, has great resale value because of its status, and takes wonderful pictures for any beginner photographer. The D60 is fine...but the D40 in itself is great too - and cheaper.

numbercharm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008

Thanx guys for all your help....i ended up w/d80 + 18-55mm + sb600 flash....i think i made the right decision...im enjoying my shots....hehehehehe and i guess its payback time to help others as well hehehehehhe

AS for Carlos Fernandez of DigitalPhotographer

From my experience with the D40 and the D60, I would still prefer the D40. Why?

Because:
1. I didn't use the 10MP resolution in the D60.
2. D-lighting is an additional feature in the D60. I didn't use it, because it produced a certain lag after taking pictures because of its processing.
3. ISO difference. D40 start with 200, D60 starts with 100. I don't mind using the 200 outdoors.
4. Kit lens available. VR with the D60, Non-VR with the D40. But I'm sure you can manage with the non VR.
5. It seems that the D60 produces more noise than D40.
6. very practical if you buy a D40.

Well, based on my experience, that's what I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.