Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah. I have to get one of those calibrated doodahs...

Meanwhile, I am still on my return window for this monitor and wondering if I should I exchange it since the built-in USB hub buzzes a high pitched whiny noise, which is definitely a defect. I am not sure, if, the ghosting (demo'd on my video above) is something that can be corrected with a monitor exchange since it seems like an inherent design flaw.

Do you guys have any comment on that? Should I exchange this monitor for the one monitor left at the store? Time is running out!!!

Please, you guys, comment about the ghosting issue...

Thanks!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Please, you guys, comment about the ghosting issue...

Here are my thoughts:
  1. I looked at the video. Between all the moire effects, shakiness, and I assume framerate mismatch between the display and the camera recording, I can't really notice the ghosting in the video (except when you were dragging the non-maximized window around quickly). So based on what I couldn't see, I don't think there's a problem. But if it's really bad in person, then that's something else altogether and it could bother me a lot--I just can't tell from that video.
  2. It's a personal issue. If it bothers you, then you need to deal with it. Why care if it does or does not bother me? You are the important person here because you are the one who has to look at it and live with it.
  3. You mentioned that this is a problem with the model line itself, so won't the exchanged one have the same problem as well? If so, I don't understand the point of exchanging the monitor at all. I'd return it and look for a different model altogether.
I think the bottom line is that it seems to bother you, so you should deal with it or have regrets forever. However, I don't understand how an exchange will help if it really is the whole model line that is affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: orph

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Here are my thoughts:
  1. I looked at the video. Between all the moire effects, shakiness, and I assume framerate mismatch between the display and the camera recording, I can't really notice the ghosting in the video (except when you were dragging the non-maximized window around quickly). So based on what I couldn't see, I don't think there's a problem. But if it's really bad in person, then that's something else altogether and it could bother me a lot--I just can't tell from that video.
  2. It's a personal issue. If it bothers you, then you need to deal with it. Why care if it does or does not bother me? You are the important person here because you are the one who has to look at it and live with it.
  3. You mentioned that this is a problem with the model line itself, so won't the exchanged one have the same problem as well? If so, I don't understand the point of exchanging the monitor at all. I'd return it and look for a different model altogether.
I think the bottom line is that it seems to bother you, so you should deal with it or have regrets forever. However, I don't understand how an exchange will help if it really is the whole model line that is affected.

First off, thanks for responding.

1.Well, actually, the display is 60Hz and the camera recorded at 1080P 60P and then uploaded to Youtube at 1080P and 60P, as well. This means that the action on the screen is being filmed at a 1:1 ratio, so there should be no lost frames; and/or, it should be pretty smooth.

I tried to just capture it as I see it with my naked-eye. Believe it or not, save the moire effect, I thought, the video represented what I was seeing with my own eyes. I thought it was the next best thing to, actually, being in front of the monitor. The camera I used was a Sony NEX-6, APS-C sensor, decent prime lens and the ability to record at 60P at a fairly high bitrate...

If, you pause the video at random times, you will see the reddish trails or "reverse ghosting" effect, which was ultimately what I wanted to capture...

2. Yeah. I've been looking for answers, solutions, comments, anything about "U2713H" and "reverse ghosting." And, I found out that a lot of people have issues with it, which in turned probably exacerbated my concerns about it because I was unsure, if, this is a "defect," an inherent design flaw, or an inherent technological limitation.

3. I agree. This is my first WQHD and wide-gamut monitor. So, I was taken aback by the ghosting. But, I've fooled around with the color profiles and I have found that tweaking the color space can reduce it. It's to the point now that I can tolerate the ghosting since what was once red colored trails are now clear trails. So, they're not as obvious and apparent.

I can drive back and return this for the one left that they have. But, since the screen itself is good. Like, very minimal IPS glow, uniformity of the screen looks fine, and no dead pixels. I don't wannna exchange it for what is probably a design flaw... like you said. And, what I am finding out from my internet research...

The only motivating factor left of returning this thing is that the built-in USB hub does make a high pitched whiny buzzing sound when it is connected, which I know must be some kind of defect. The actual USB ports and card reader works. It's just that when the hub is connected, there is that sound, which is audible sitting in front of the monitor. And, not just when I put my ear next to the monitor.

So, with all that, I think I am now satisfied with keeping the monitor. The drive to the store is a bit of a drive... and there is no guarantee that the exchange will be any better.

And, I need to exchange it for the same model because I bought this thing for $399 (plus tax) and the they don't have a comparable monitor at that price. It is usually $799. So, they took $400 off. And, the other models are around that $800 and up price point, which is too much for me at this time.

It's a brand new monitor, by the way. And, none of the other stores, near me or online stores like Newegg or Amazon are selling the U2713H anymore since it's discontinued.

Anyway, this response has been too long. But, helpful in making me make up my mind. So, thanks.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Just because the display, phone camera, and YouTube playback rate are all 60hz does not mean those hz cycles are in sync. I think it's safe to say they are not. That's kind of the point of the new gsync/Fsync technologies but even that only syncs the display hz to the actual frame rate out of the gpu. I watched the video also and it's just about impossible to offer any sort of videophile advice based on what may or may not be visible in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.