Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey, guys. I recently found a great deal on an iMac G5. However, it comes without a hard drive, and the seller doesn't have the original OS disc. I've got plenty of HDDs lying around to get storage on it, but no system discs compatible with the machine, so I was wondering if any of you know a secure way of getting an old PPC compatible version of OS X? I'm wary of a lot of downloads on the internet, since I want an original version not infected with loads of malware, hehe.
Thanks!

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
I don't think you will find a leopard installation iso with loads of malware x)
Your best choice would be to google around and find an ISO file to burn to a dual layer DVD or on an USB key.
If you have a Mac developer account you can also download a copy of the iso from the dev website (I did it that way)

Good luck!

Reactions: casperes1996

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Hm. All I can find is a logging utility for USB
I'd get the 10.4 and 10.5 from MacintoshGarden, it's easy and hassle free.

I don't think you will find a leopard installation iso with loads of malware x)
Your best choice would be to google around and find an ISO file to burn to a dual layer DVD or on an USB key.
If you have a Mac developer account you can also download a copy of the iso from the dev website (I did it that way)

Good luck!

I'm surprised Apple would release they're OS X on the dev site for free, not that I have seen this though. I'll check later. But this is the Apple that still sells iOS 3.1.3...

and what malware? I've never seen a malware infected OS X installer, PPC would be even more surprising to see it on.

EDIT: just checked, nothing there

Reactions: eyoungren

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Apple sells iOS 3.1.3 still if you have an iPod Touch 1G, I haven't tried it in a bit but I believe 3.1.3 is still sold through iTunes.

Considering it's an archived article and iOS 4 came out for free, I doubt the latest version of iTunes would let you purchase iOS 3. That said, mind still blown, haha. Anyway, to get an official install DVD for Tiger, I'd gladly pay Apple money honestly. I'd prefer it to a download, but hey, a download works for me too

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Considering it's an archived article and iOS 4 came out for free, I doubt the latest version of iTunes would let you purchase iOS 3. That said, mind still blown, haha. Anyway, to get an official install DVD for Tiger, I'd gladly pay Apple money honestly. I'd prefer it to a download, but hey, a download works for me too
I'll test the link later, I don't think they took it down though but hey it has been a while who knows. and iOS 4 released for free yes but they still had it up, after the release, for iPod Touch users.

And did you try MacintoshGarden?

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
Hm. All I can find is a logging utility for USB
Capture d’écran 2017-02-02 à 17.21.56.png

You must be a registered paid dev and you will see it :)
[doublepost=1486052698][/doublepost]Works for me :p

Reactions: Jubadub

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Second that!
Third!
[doublepost=1486061451][/doublepost]
I'll use it, but I haven't yet, no. I haven't actually bought the G5 yet, but I'll go look at it over the weekend. Wanted to make sure I could get an OS for it before buying it.

Macintoshgarden.org is a HUGE resource for PowerPC software. Check it out, you will love it.

Specifically for you, they have all versions of Mac OS's that support PPC.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

That is all of them. Just get the one you need.

Reactions: minik and eyoungren

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You must be a registered paid dev and you will see it :)
Ah, there's the problem. I've only got the "Safari Developer" tier thing. Which I'm not even sure it's called anymore. Since the most I do is dick about with iOS and macOS software development, and not anything major, it's pointless to pay for. But thanks!

Wolfie1_0

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hey, guys. I recently found a great deal on an iMac G5. However, it comes without a hard drive, and the seller doesn't have the original OS disc. I've got plenty of HDDs lying around to get storage on it, but no system discs compatible with the machine, so I was wondering if any of you know a secure way of getting an old PPC compatible version of OS X? I'm wary of a lot of downloads on the internet, since I want an original version not infected with loads of malware, hehe.
Thanks!

If you're still looking for a leopard disk I have an original I could rip to iso for you

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I'm afraid this is one of those times where we can't help you.

The reason is because the MacRumors mods don't take too kindly to copyright issues. I can feel one of them breathing down my neck right now over this post. ;)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Indeed-it should be remembered that all versions of OS X are copyrighted still and you must possess a valid license for them. Heck, all versions of the Mac OS are still copyright, although Apple has released everything prior to 7.6 as a free download as well as all versions of OS X starting with 10.9.

Otherwise, you either need to get the media or pay up for a developer account.

In any case, when looking for a disks, you don't need to worry about finding a PPC or Intel disk. All retail Tiger disks(black label) are PPC. The exception to this is 10.4.8 Server, which is universal. The only ones which are not PPC are the "gray" restore disks for Intel Macs. ALL Leopard disks-both retail and gray-are universal.

Reactions: MysticCow

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
In any case, when looking for a disks, you don't need to worry about finding a PPC or Intel disk. All retail Tiger disks(black label) are PPC. The exception to this is 10.4.8 Server, which is universal. The only ones which are not PPC are the "gray" restore disks for Intel Macs. ALL Leopard disks-both retail and gray-are universal.

Universal is ok to install, btw. It just means there's pesky Intel code in there with the precious PPC code that we need on our PPC Macs. The system will load the correct binary. Just watch out for any installs/OS-es that are "Intel only."

(I know bunn would know this info, but someone else might not)

Last edited:

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Are we not allowed to recommend macintoshgarden anymore?
[doublepost=1487255726][/doublepost]See my above post OP.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Are we not allowed to recommend macintoshgarden anymore?
[doublepost=1487255726][/doublepost]See my above post OP.

Not sure, but it's always best to play it safe when it comes to copyright infringement.

We need a mod post here to clarify MR's policy on this, since everything we want/need in the PPC forum is technically abandonware.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure, but it's always best to play it safe when it comes to copyright infringement.

We need a mod post here to clarify MR's policy on this, since everything we want/need in the PPC forum is technically abandonware.
MR's policy is clear concerning piracy and copyright materials. No links to that material, posting of serials and/or software that cracks other copyrighted software.

Just because something is abandonware does not make the copyright void. The Adobe CS2 incident a while back is evidence of that.

Having stated that, MR and the mods only control these forums. They cannot control what anyone does outside of the forums. So, whatever Macintosh Garden does is it's own business.

For my own protection you will notice that I may mention some things but that any links I provide or have ever provided publicly have always been to either freeware, software released to the public domain, or shareware with no codes, keys, serials or cracks.

Just my way of trying to stay in the rules. How others do it is between them and the mods.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
For my own protection you will notice that I may mention some things but that any links I provide or have ever provided publicly have always been to either freeware, software released to the public domain, or shareware with no codes, keys, serials or cracks.

Yes indeed, it's always best to play it safe on here.

For my part, when it comes to OSs, I only post links to Apple pages. As I said, everything 7.5 and earlier has been made available free for distribution(note-it's not in the public domain and Apple retains the copyright, but they've made it freely available for download without no stipulation requiring you to have previously owned it). The same thing holds true for incremental updates and patches-i.e OS 8.6, OS 9.1-9.2.2, driver updates, and things like OS X combo and security updates. These are NOT full installers, however-they are just updates to install over the existing software.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.