Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
i have a 42mm series 3 right now and I’m planning on upgrading to apple watch series 4. I am ordering on bhphoto to avoid taxes. Also there is no apple store close by to where I live. I took a picture of my Apple Watch series 3 42mm, I need your opinion guys. Would the 44mm would be so big to me? Should I just get the 40mm? Thank you!

38F6909D-E906-48EE-A4E8-D4A60CAFE4E8.jpeg

6EE41E33-7159-45E6-B398-F3F339303463.jpeg

Last edited:

brentc133

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
i have a 42mm series 3 right now and I’m planning on upgrading to apple watch series 4. I am ordering on bhphoto to avoid taxes. Also there is no apple store close by to where I live. I took a picture my Apple Watch series 3 42mm, I need your opinion guys. Would the 44mm would be so big to me? Should I just get the 40mm? Thank you!

View attachment 801001

View attachment 801003

I think you could pull-off the 44mm as it’s footprint isn’t much more than the 42mm. Ultimately it’s what you want though.

Reactions: staggerlee41

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Do you think the 40mm would look tad small for me? I don’t want it to look like a kids watch and at the same time I don’t want the 44mm to look insanely big on me. I tried using the apple store’s casing comparison and the 44mm looks insanely big on my arm lol

Oleksi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
Even your current AW looks pretty big (to my taste), so 44mm would look huge on your wrist. The 40mm IMO would look much more elegant and stylish.

Reactions: Ntombi and jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i agree with Oleksi.

the watch in yr posted pics is almost too big already.

but it does also depend on what you are after:
a huge watch on a smaller wrist can look great if you are the kind of person who can wear almost anything and still look good.

the watch you are wearing in the pictures shouts: geek !
which is fine if thats what you want to be shouting.
otherwise, choose the smaller one, which, with its new resolution gives you more on the display anyway.
still high tech but more elegant for yr wrist size.

Reactions: Oleksi

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
i agree with Oleksi.

the watch in yr posted pics is almost too big already.

but it does also depend on what you are after:
a huge watch on a smaller wrist can look great if you are the kind of person who can wear almost anything and still look good.

the watch you are wearing in the pictures shouts: geek !
which is fine if thats what you want to be shouting.
otherwise, choose the smaller one, which, with its new resolution gives you more on the display anyway.
still high tech but more elegant for yr wrist size.

Wearing my 42mm series 3 here on the photo from afar. I am thinking of getting the 40mm stainless steel gold this time, I’m aiming for more classy and can wear anywhere watch. I just want something that looks just right, not too big nor too small. I just don’t have an access to the Apple Watch series 4 right now. Sucks! I’m planning on preordering it tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: maternusgold

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
The 44mm is just 1,5mm higher than the 42,5mm you have now.
In person the difference is not very visible because of the more rounded edges and the slimmer profile. So if you are happy with the 42mm, you will like the 44mm too.

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
How do you feel about the size of your 42 on that monstrous wrist of yours :p and do you like the size of the screen? I have both a Series 2 42mm and now a Series 4 44mm and both feel the same on the wrist. The real difference is in screen size. There is noticeably more real estate on the Series 2 than the Series 4. I would also give consideration to your decision making.

CBlake82

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey! First off, I can't recommend enough this series 4 beast. I was a Series 0 SS owner, and loved the idea of the apple watch, but the struggle of the first gen was real. Coming into the S4 SSG, is like the biggest and most surprising Apple upgrade I've done in a long time.

That said......I'm a 6'4" male and have always had the 42mm casing, which was perfect. Despite my height, I've always had sleight hands and wrists. Anyway, the new 44mm casing doesn't feel any larger in practice, but the new screen real estate is a HUGE visual impact over the 42mm casing, almost leading me to even consider the 40mm casing, as that has nearly the same screen size of the old 42mm......phew so confusing.....anyway, my point for your consideration is to also think about the size of the screen display area. Either way you go though, you're going to love this new watch.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I think that is the right decision.

Edit: Actually I am in the proces of returning my 44 because it looks too big on my 15,5cm wrist

My wrist is at least 15.8cm / a little bit over 6 inches when I measured it! But it’s not 100% exact lol. I tried using the apple store’s case sizing using my iPhone and the 44mm looked so big covering my whole wrist!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Wearing my 42mm series 3 here on the photo from afar. I am thinking of getting the 40mm stainless steel gold this time, I’m aiming for more classy and can wear anywhere watch. I just want something that looks just right, not too big nor too small. I just don’t have an access to the Apple Watch series 4 right now. Sucks! I’m planning of preordering it tonight.

View attachment 801039

yes. go with 40.
elegant, more classy. enough display.
you will wear the watch and not the watch wearing you.
people will notice you first, then yr watch, not the other way around.
more asians prefer the 40.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
How do you feel about the size of your 42 on that monstrous wrist of yours :p and do you like the size of the screen? I have both a Series 2 42mm and now a Series 4 44mm and both feel the same on the wrist. The real difference is in screen size. There is noticeably more real estate on the Series 2 than the Series 4. I would also give consideration to your decision making.

lol lately I look at my series 3 and think that it is actually pretty big. lol I've watched Ijustine and Kristal key (if thats the right name) on youtube and they both ended up with the 40mm as the 44mm seems to be so big for women! I don't wear it to sleep, but I'm planning eventually to do so. I have a current heart problem and been wearing an event monitor (for 30 days) and I'm actually really not planning on upgrading but they said the series 4 has ECG which would be really helpful! I just am afraid that it will look insanely big on my wrist!!
[doublepost=1541292079][/doublepost]
Hey! First off, I can't recommend enough this series 4 beast. I was a Series 0 SS owner, and loved the idea of the apple watch, but the struggle of the first gen was real. Coming into the S4 SSG, is like the biggest and most surprising Apple upgrade I've done in a long time.

That said......I'm a 6'4" male and have always had the 42mm casing, which was perfect. Despite my height, I've always had sleight hands and wrists. Anyway, the new 44mm casing doesn't feel any larger in practice, but the new screen real estate is a HUGE visual impact over the 42mm casing, almost leading me to even consider the 40mm casing, as that has nearly the same screen size of the old 42mm......phew so confusing.....anyway, my point for your consideration is to also think about the size of the screen display area. Either way you go though, you're going to love this new watch.

awesome! I'm so excited to pre order! I'll be ordering it from BHPHOTO to avoid tax lol and I'm not really in a rush to have the new watch. the only downfall ordering it from them is once I open it I cannot return it anymore! thats why I wanna be so sure about what size I will be ordering! Im considering getting the 40mm more since I've seen mostly all women have been getting it lol
[doublepost=1541292177][/doublepost]
yes. go with 40.
elegant, more classy. enough display.
you will wear the watch and not the watch wearing you.
people will notice you first, then yr watch, not the other way around.
more asians prefer the 40.

lol this is so vague. I myself is an asian. =))

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Do you think the 40mm would look tad small for me? I don’t want it to look like a kids watch and at the same time I don’t want the 44mm to look insanely big on me. I tried using the apple store’s casing comparison and the 44mm looks insanely big on my arm lol

It's simply a matter of taste. I'm a 6'2", 180lbs man and prefer the 38mm Apple Watch. Just buy what you like.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Well my opinion isn't the one that counts but I think the 42mm looks great. If I were in your position, I'd think about screen size-- as in how much screen you want to view. Do you ever wish you could see more screen in your 42? If you're content with how much content you can view on your 42, then maybe the 40 will be a better choice.

Something else to think about is that your current bands for 42 will fit a 44. If you go to a 40, you'll need to get new ones.

Not trying to sway your opinion one way or another but hopefully giving you things to think about :) Let us know what you end up going with and I'd love to read feedback on how you like the Series 4. I've really, really enjoyed Series 4 and even coming from Series 2 I'd consider it a significant and worthwhile upgrade.

Here are a few shots of my 42 and 44 side by side just so you can get an idea of how much difference there is in the size of screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 921

Oleksi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
I just want something that looks just right, not too big nor too small.
Then you have no choise! 40 mm is the only right way to go.

44mm seems to be so big for women
I think 44mm is too big for almost anyone if you don't want to look like a geek wearing a device from Star Trek on the wrist (excepting those who has XXL wrist size).

Me personally wearing 40mm Apple Watch 4 (my wrist size is about 17cm).

Reactions: voodooevil

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
I have a smaller wrist for a guy.

42 vs 44 is not a huge difference due to the more rounded casing.

Screen size is a huge difference.

With watches a lot depends on the band you are using. With case integrated bands like the sport band, the band curves smoothly away from the watch face, reducing the effect of a large watch. In effect it wears like a large bangle. If you put the same watch on a standard strap, then the strap hangs straight down off the end of the watch case if you have a smaller wrist, making at large watch look gigantic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.