Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I have posted about this in another section, but I thought of a second approach. Here is the other thread. Internet Recovery Loop From Hell.

I am stuck with what seems like no recovery partition, no options, no way to get any boot drive choice. Is there a way to use a second iMac to force an installation? I have tried to "revive" it with apple controller 2, but no luck with that either.

My iMac is a 2017 Pro that had Monterey (fully updated), I was planning on selling it and in the process of wiping the SSD, I must have taken a wrong turn. I used file vault to encrypt the drive (2 TB), then made an obscenely long and vague password. I then erased the drive to perform a clean installation. No I am able to see only internet recovery mode, one time it actually seemed like it was going to work, but then restarted right back to the same place. I have tried both wireless and wired keyboards and internet connections, I get ABSOLUTELY NO response from any keystrokes on reboot, in fact I don't even think it is attempting to reboot, it shows the apple quickly, no tones, then goes right to the spinning globe of internet recovery.

If anyone has any other forums they think might be a better place to discuss this, let me know and I will try that out too.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Like I said, I don't have any control, I can't do anything except enter a wifi network password. It is crazy. Both the keyboards (tried wired and wireless) obviously work, but Command R, Option, Command Option P R, nothing happens except internet recovery screen. Holding the power button "restarts" but I get no tones like a "reboot" would give.

Last edited:

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
So what do you do when an iMac won't boot at all? There has to be a way to force yourself into it from another machine. Where is the "internet recovery" info stored? Is this on the SSD or in the firmware or somewhere else?

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
It is a conundrum, I wish I was trolling you, but instead I have a $1500 brick.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If you erased your entire drive then you have lost the ability to boot from Recovery (command + r) and an external drive because your iMac Pro has a T2 security chip.

The proper method would have been to use "Erase All Content and Settings" in Step 2 of Apple's instructions "What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac".

I think the only restore option now is Internet Recovery which appears to not be working for you. I'm sorry, but I can't help with the internet recovery connection problem since I'm assuming your other computer connects to the internet with no problems. I would recommend contacting Apple Support. You may also need an appointment with Apple Store Support.

Here is some additional information about the T2:

Last edited:

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I am going to haul the iMac to my office and see if the internet speeds are an issue, I know at my house it can vary pretty wildly (spectrum line shared with hundreds of houses), but I am not sure why this would make it crash every time. I have a much faster connection at the office, I just want the weather to be a bit better before hauling the iMac around. Seems like there must be a way to reset the T2 chip, I am going to have to do some research on it at this point. As far as taking it to apple, I am willing to be that the cost will be high, if they even will fix it. I may end up using the thing as parts, just annoying knowing that I screwed things up, at least I can't blame anyone else, right? ;)

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
It is quite interesting that every article discussing anything close to this always has the same answer, just install the OS and enable USB booting. I know that I disabled find my mac settings, so it shouldn't have to do with that, but who knows. I am pretty pissed at myself, believe it or not this is a "new" iMac to me, I have had Mid 2011s for a long time and I know those fairly well. The newer iMacs are a strange animal, I should have kept this one instead of selling it, but I wanted to upgrade and make back some of my money, now I am out the new computer cost and this one is bricked. :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Are you in the USA?
Or somewhere where there's a brick n mortar Apple Store?
NOT a "3rd-party provider", but a REAL Apple Store with a genius bar?

If so, that's where you need to take it.
They're probably going to have to hook it up to another Mac and restore using Apple Configurator 2.

I realize you already tried this, and it didn't appear to work.
One thing I noticed when reading Apple's docs on AC2 -- you have to be mindful of exactly WHICH USBc PORTS you're connecting to (may be on both the host and target Macs).

It looks like quirky software to get running, odd that Apple forces this upon us.

Again... I don't think you'll get good results from 3rd-party providers on this.
You might, but then again, they may not have a clue.
Apple is the place to take this.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I had the proper plug for sure, the target mac is the only one that it matters and "Mr Macintosh" has a video that shows what to expect, he also tried several different cords and it seems like any cord will do as long as it has one USB C end for the Target computer.

trayloader

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Hi @Strouty,

I do have the excact same problem as you.
iMac Pro bought with Ventura. Turned to recovery, wiped the drive, and am effed. Including DFU mode. Internet recovery not possible. Will shoot you a PM

shmergy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
I also have this problem with a 2018 Mac mini. I feel your pain, It’s a total nightmare. I’ve tried absolutely everything you did as well. The only thing that has got close to a result is iPhone plugged in as a hotspot. Progress bar moves for a while then returns error -2003f. Am going to take it to my workplace and try on a more stable internet connection this week too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.