Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
HELP IS NEEDED.

I've installed every single iOS 7 beta, and now comes GM with no OTA update. So I connected my iPhone 4S to update, the update was very slow, but the loading bar was moving along. Then, at the last quarter of the bar, iTunes gave me an error, and the iPhone went into recovery mode!!! :(

All my apps and data are backed up to iCloud, but I have no back up of my photos. I have 15GB worth of photos and videos that aren't backed up. I NEED THEM. Is there ANY WAY to back up photos in recovery mode??

I've tried to use Tiny Umbrella to exit out of recovery mode, but that didn't work.

I just need any sort of way to back up my photos in recovery mode so I can restore my iPhone.

LeggNet

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
I had a similar experience. To resolve it I restored the phone back to IOS6 from iTunes, then installed the GM of IOS7. Once I did this, the phone saw my iCloud backup from yesterday morning and restored everything.

Not sure if it was the best route, but it worked for me.

eta: just saw the you said they WEREN'T backed up. Uh oh.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
As long as iOS 7 is not official out and Apple is still signing 6.1.3/4 you will be abe to go back to iOS 6

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Try re-booting your phone op

Didn't work. I tried to go to DFU and back, and that didn't work either.

I had a similar experience. To resolve it I restored the phone back to IOS6 from iTunes, then installed the GM of IOS7. Once I did this, the phone saw my iCloud backup from yesterday morning and restored everything.

I have everything backed up in iCloud except for the camera roll. So if I restore to iOS 6, all my photos and videos will be gone. I just need a way to retrieve my camera roll first, and then restore my iPhone.

It has to be said, you are very very silly indeed. I'm not sure about being able to recover photos from a recovery mode device, but in what universe are you living where you keep your only copy of 15Gb worth of photos on a phone and think that's a good idea.

I hope you can recover from this, if you do or don't, BACK THE THING UP!

Also, keeping 15Gb of photos you have no backup of on a phone running beta software? You're an idiot! Sorry, but it has to be said.

Thank you for your honesty. I'm very silly and stupid for committing a huge mistake. I was in a summer holiday, and I took a lot of photos and videos. I came back home, and I was planning to back everything up. GM came last night, and I just rushed to install it! :(

I accept my mistake, but I just need a damn way to back up my camera roll and learn to never stay without back up ever again!

As long as iOS 7 is not official out and Apple is still signing 6.1.3/4 you will be abe to go back to iOS 6

It's not about going back to iOS 6. I don't want to do a restore until I can safely retrieve my camera roll!

Last edited:

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Didn't work. I tried to go to DFU and back, and that didn't work either.

I have everything backed up in iCloud except for the camera roll. So if I restore to iOS 6, all my photos and videos will be gone. I just need a way to retrieve my camera roll first, and then restore my iPhone.

Thank you for your honesty. I'm very silly and stupid for committing a huge mistake. I was in a summer holiday, and I took a lot of photos and videos. I came back home, and I was planning to back everything up. GM came last night, and I just rushed to install it! :(

I accept my mistake, but I just need a damn way to back up my camera roll and learn to never stay without back up ever again!

It's not about going back to iOS 6. I don't want to do a restore until I can safely retrieve my camera roll!

I believe that maybe iTunes has automatically backed up your device the moment you connected it to your computer, before you tried to update it to the GM?

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
?????? do you have a Mac?
?????? did your phone send any of the pics or movies to iphoto or photo via photostream????
I am just trying to think if they may actually already be somewhere else.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Did you ever create a backup on itunes?

I have an old back up. I have some summer vacation photos that I haven't backed up, and I really want them. All apps and other data are backed up to iCloud daily, so no worries about that.

I believe that maybe iTunes has automatically backed up your device the moment you connected it to your computer, before you tried to update it to the GM?

Sadly not. I have automatic sync off.

?????? do you have a Mac?
?????? did your phone send any of the pics or movies to iphoto or photo via photostream????
I am just trying to think if they may actually already be somewhere else.

Thank you for your help. However, I only have a few photos on photostream. Most of my recent photos are still only in my phone.

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
I have an old back up. I have some summer vacation photos that I haven't backed up, and I really want them. All apps and other data are backed up to iCloud daily, so no worries about that.

For now try to put your device out of recovery mode...if that doesn't work, you will be able to save photos from the iTunes backup, but you will have to lose the most recent ones. I have no other solution....:(

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Does iTunes recognise the phone in DFU mode (and allow restoring) if it has iOS7 on it before being put into DFU?

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
For now try to put your device out of recovery mode...if that doesn't work, you will be able to save photos from the iTunes backup, but you will have to lose the most recent ones. I have no other solution....:(

He could save all of the photos/videos to a Dropbox account. Restore and then put them all back on his phone.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Download Tiny Umbrella and try the Kick out of recovery mode feature. Hope that works for you.

In the future, you might want to consider a service like Everpix to backup your photos... but even that doesn't sound like it would have helped the situation as you said you hadn't even let the photos get uploaded to Photostream.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Download Tiny Umbrella and try the Kick out of recovery mode feature. Hope that works for you.

In the future, you might want to consider a service like Everpix to backup your photos... but even that doesn't sound like it would have helped the situation as you said you hadn't even let the photos get uploaded to Photostream.

I've tried Tiny Umbrella, iREB, and Redsn0w that have a 'exit recovery' feature, but they all haven't work. Apparently, the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 don't have a way to exit out of recovery yet.

Well next time I'll be buying more iCloud storage and getting my photos backed up like a normal person.

But for now, I just need a way to retrieve my photos.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I've tried Tiny Umbrella, iREB, and Redsn0w that have a 'exit recovery' feature, but they all haven't work. Apparently, the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 don't have a way to exit out of recovery yet.

Well next time I'll be buying more iCloud storage and getting my photos backed up like a normal person.

But for now, I just need a way to retrieve my photos.

Don't buy more iCloud storage to store photos.

iCloud backups only mirror what is on the device, and it won't back up any you have to delete.

Either buy CameraSync ($3) and upload all of your photos and videos to Flickr for free, or sign up for a service like Everpix and have it all handled automatically.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Same thing happened to my wifes Iphone 5 (ATT).
On her windows laptop, hit shift/update, pointed to the IOS 7. Then about 10 minutes later, got an itunes 1602 error, Now when I reboot the phone, its in recovery mode, when hooking it up to the itunes on her laptop, im forced to restore to 6.1.4 =(

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

I do have an icloud backup on mine. Using windows though, but will follow your steps and see what happens....

ForthRightAfter

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
were you able to get this resolved, im am in the exact same boat., iphone 4s 6.1.3 tried to install ios 7 GM and right at the end it game me an error and I now I feel I am going to lose my 6 weeks of backpacking through Europe photos. please does anyone know what I can do, ive tried tenorshare and it didn't help. the application would just crash.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Same thing happened to my wifes Iphone 5 (ATT).
On her windows laptop, hit shift/update, pointed to the IOS 7. Then about 10 minutes later, got an itunes 1602 error, Now when I reboot the phone, its in recovery mode, when hooking it up to the itunes on her laptop, im forced to restore to 6.1.4 =(

I do have an icloud backup on mine. Using windows though, but will follow your steps and see what happens....

were you able to get this resolved, im am in the exact same boat., iphone 4s 6.1.3 tried to install ios 7 GM and right at the end it game me an error and I now I feel I am going to lose my 6 weeks of backpacking through Europe photos. please does anyone know what I can do, ive tried tenorshare and it didn't help. the application would just crash.

I'm very sorry to inform you that, as of now, there's no way around this. My brother is a computer scientist, so he fooled around with my iPhone 4S for a few days, trying to access the phone's memory while in restore mode or in DFU mode. He tried everything, even trying to access the memory in LibUSB on Lunix, since iOS is UNIX based underneath and has the same libraries. The phone would just refuse to let anyone access the memory, and acts like a corrupted drive.

The reason to this happening is that all A5+ devices have a locked bootloader, and no one has yet figured out how to unlock it yet. If my iPhone was a 3GS or a 4, then I would have been able to retrieve my photos, because the jailbreak community has been able to unlock the bootloader on those devices, thus being able to create a SHSH connection and then accessing the memory.

There has been talks in the jailbreak community to unlock the bootloader on A5 and A6 devices, but that hasn't happened yet. If you're very patient, and you want your photos so badly, you can leave your phone in restore mode until they figure out how to unlock the bootloader on the newer iPhones, then you'll be able to retrieve your photos back.

Programs like Wondershare Dr.Fone and Tenorshare only work if the phone is working. I tried to fool around with them, and they don't work unless your phone is fully functioning.

I thought about doing a full restore of the phone, and then using photo-restoring programs that will let you restore photos after being deleted, but my brother discovered that wouldn't work, because A5+ devices have encrypted memory, so once the memory is wiped, it's impossible to retrieve anything back.

After all this, I just decided to restore my phone (I had over 5000+ photos all gone), because I need my iPhone for work. I restored some of my photos from my Facebook and Instagram profiles, and just decided it's time to take some new photos and new memories. :)

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
This thread is a perfect example of why you should back up your iPhone or iPad or iPod or Mac before updating. Actually, back it up regularly to avoid headaches like this.

I've learned the hard way ONCE due to not backing up files on my MacBook.

Never again.

I hope everyone who lost their data from their iDevices gets it all figured out.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
This thread is a perfect example of why you should back up your iPhone or iPad or iPod or Mac before updating. Actually, back it up regularly to avoid headaches like this.

I've learned the hard way ONCE due to not backing up files on my MacBook.

Never again.

I hope everyone who lost their data from their iDevices gets it all figured out.

And I got a warning and my post deleted for telling it like it is.

How many times do we have to see "help, I need to get my photos off my phone" before people realise that backups are important?

Elle Flambe

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
And I got a warning and my post deleted for telling it like it is.

How many times do we have to see "help, I need to get my photos off my phone" before people realise that backups are important?

The answer is obvious. You'll see such posts all the time because people never suspect just how asinine an Apple product can be until it's too late. It's a scandal that all the info is still perfectly intact on all those phones and it's only Apple's ruthlessness that prevents a solid app from retrieving them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.