Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
This might sound a little known issue, but search yesterday, through the internet, didn't find any issue related or similar to mine! I just replaced the battery of iPhone 5S yesterday and restored the device as new in 10.3.3, but even with the capacity of 104,30% and 0 cycles for the moment, still drains a little faster than should! No multiple apps for the moment, just trying to understand is this normal for a couple of days, or is something related to U2 chip (from what I've seen on different forums) or other things! I'm being scared thinking that even with the new battery will still have the same draining problem! Any advise/support/guide is accepted!

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
What do you consider a "little faster" ?

Well you tell me...

IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0003.PNG

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Do not know what you used to get so it is hard to judge.

If you do not think it is normal, take it to an Apple store and have them run diagnostics.

Well, leaved it during all night to charge, woke up at this morning at 7, normal use, and as you see from the attached files, at 11.29 AM is at 64% with 42 minutes of use and only 4 hours and 57 minutes of standby! So, I don't think this is normal!! At least for a new battery with 0 cycles and full capacity of 104,30%! I'm loosing it, very upset, knowing that even the new battery didn't resolve the issue!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, leaved it during all night to charge, woke up at this morning at 7, normal use, and as you see from the attached files, at 11.29 AM is at 64% with 42 minutes of use and only 4 hours and 57 minutes of standby! So, I don't think this is normal!! At least for a new battery with 0 cycles and full capacity of 104,30%! I'm loosing it, very upset, knowing that even the new battery didn't resolve the issue!

Try to remain calm. Loosing it and getting upset will not help.

Take back to the Apple store explain that you had the battery replaced and it still is not working as expected. No one here can diagnose your phone, only Apple can.

Reactions: Volgin

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Try to remain calm. Loosing it and getting upset will not help.

Take back to the Apple store explain that you had the battery replaced and it still is not working as expected. No one here can diagnose your phone, only Apple can.

NO, no Apple Store or authorized reseller, just a service phone shop that is certified to assistance and service of different phones like Apple, Samsung etc. Maybe I should go to them to explain it but it's difficult that can replace my battery again!! Damn it, I will never do this again!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
NO, no Apple Store or authorized reseller, just a service phone shop that is certified to assistance and service of different phones like Apple, Samsung etc. Maybe I should go to them to explain it but it's difficult that can replace my battery again!! Damn it, I will never do this again!

Did this "authorized reseller" install a new Apple battery? I do not think so. No matter, if it was doing the same thing with the old battery then likely the problem was not the battery. This repair shop will not have the equipment to diagnose the problem.

Changing the battery again would have the same results.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Did this "authorized reseller" install a new Apple battery? I do not think so. No matter, if it was doing the same thing with the old battery then likely the problem was not the battery. This repair shop will not have the equipment to diagnose the problem.

Changing the battery again would have the same results.

The battery is new, shows : capacity of 104,30% and 0 cycles for the moment and it was new from the box! Maybe not original but it was new! Going now at this "authorized reseller", will post later!!

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
New does not mean it is a real Apple battery. Best of luck, let us know what happens.

Just came in! They replaced the battery again with another one, new again but not original and they tell me to test it for a couple of days because it's needing time to get cycles and get everything in line, otherwise it might be an motherboard issue! Let's hope for the best! I should test it, no other alternatives for the moment!

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Try factory reset don't install no apps and see if it still drains.

What do you mean by factory reset? Then what else? I just restored as new via iTunes to 10.3.3 and installed only a couple of apps, only the most used one! What else do you suggested?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
What do you mean by factory reset? Then what else? I just restored as new via iTunes to 10.3.3 and installed only a couple of apps, only the most used one! What else do you suggested?

restore the iPhone to it's factory settings. don't install any apps and see if the battery is draining after the reset. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

i'd have to think it could possibly be the 3rd party battery?

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
restore the iPhone to it's factory settings. don't install any apps and see if the battery is draining after the reset. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

i'd have to think it could possibly be the 3rd party battery?

"The store replaced the battery again with another one, new again but not original and they tell me to test it for a couple of days because it's needing time to get cycles and get everything in line". What do you think? I'm aware that maybe is something wrong with motherboard!!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Depends on where you go but there are plenty of forums where people go to get 3rd party battery replacements only to get a used battery or a battery that has much less than advertised capacity.

I'd vote that it is the 3rd party battery replacement.

That said, having had experience with the battery % needing calibration --- I'd probably run the phone down to 0% till it shuts off, then charge it to 100% before doing a "test" --- tho don't do this often if you can help it.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Depends on where you go but there are plenty of forums where people go to get 3rd party battery replacements only to get a used battery or a battery that has much less than advertised capacity.

I'd vote that it is the 3rd party battery replacement.

That said, having had experience with the battery % needing calibration --- I'd probably run the phone down to 0% till it shuts off, then charge it to 100% before doing a "test" --- tho don't do this often if you can help it.

Thanks man, appreciate it! Will try today to do the calibration thing hoping that everything will be normal as usual!!

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Two things:

1) third party battery is likely to be the issue. Their battery life is not as good.

2) even with original apple. Artery, battery percentage need calibration

You keep saying normal this and normal that and not what you are comparing it to. Being emotional isn't helping it.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Two things:

1) third party battery is likely to be the issue. Their battery life is not as good.

2) even with original apple. Artery, battery percentage need calibration

You keep saying normal this and normal that and not what you are comparing it to. Being emotional isn't helping it.

Didn't quite understood what you where saying, anyway what do you suggest?! Already replaced the battery with a non-original third party but new, because other friends of mine had done the same thing and for them the battery is fine till now!!

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Didn't quite understood what you where saying, anyway what do you suggest?! Already replaced the battery with a non-original third party but new, because other friends of mine had done the same thing and for them the battery is fine till now!!

You are not providing enough information or background. You said "still drains a little faster than should". What is than it should? What are you comparing it to? What I am saying is that there are two possibilities.

1) The problem lays on third party batteries.
2) Battery percentage need calibration

My suggestion is to provide more information on what you are comparing your battery life with and stop being emotional.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
You are not providing enough information or background. You said "still drains a little faster than should". What is than it should? What are you comparing it to? What I am saying is that there are two possibilities.

1) The problem lays on third party batteries.
2) Battery percentage need calibration

My suggestion is to provide more information on what you are comparing your battery life with and stop being emotional.

First of all, i had the original with 94,62 % of capacity and 583 cycles, this verified with Apple but was draining like crazy. Later I will upload a photo in what conditions where the original battery and how damaged was!
Did everything I could, restore as new in DFU Mode via iTunes, followed everything on optimizing the battery, issue still persisted! So, i replaced the battery in a non authorized store where all my friends go, one of them has an iPhone 5S like mine, they replaced with the same third party battery, doesn't have any issue, is doing fine during day!

The new battery is currently with 3 cycles and full capacity of 104,30%! So, what now?! is an hardware problem like motherboard or other thing?!

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
First of all, i had the original with 94,62 % of capacity and 583 cycles, this verified with Apple but was draining like crazy. Later I will upload a photo in what conditions where the original battery and how damaged was!

I thought you said there isn’t an Apple store or Apple authorize repairer? How did Apple verify your battery? What did Apple verify? What is draining like crazy? Like losing 100% battery life in 10 mins? What damage are you referring to? As mentioned numerous times, you are not providing enough information

So, i replaced the battery in a non authorized store where all my friends go, one of them has an iPhone 5S like mine, they replaced with the same third party battery, doesn't have any issue, is doing fine during day!

Are you guys using the same apps? How many ‘on’ screen are you comparing to your friend? Screen brightness have big impact on battery life too.

The new battery is currently with 3 cycles and full capacity of 104,30%! So, what now?! is an hardware problem like motherboard or other thing?!

You keep providing the same information without further explanation! How is that helping it?!?! Three cycles means nothing! It could be third party battery issue or motherboard or something that is ‘eating’ the battery or you are nick picking issue! How is adding exclamation mark help the issue?!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.