Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
If you are happy to leave your purchase last minute it may be worth a look at this:
http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/

If you ring ahead I believe they can get items in for you and for reservations to be made so that they have it in store when you pass through the airport. Their website is rather limited so I'd definitely give them a call. You'll have plenty of time on the flight over to read the instruction manual ;)

I'd go with someone else's suggestion of Amazon for memory cards. They are always way over priced in any store. A Sandisk Ultra II card is even cheaper, but data isn't written to it as quickly.

Dman77

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
London, UK
I recently bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D60, it was between that and the Sony a350. I got it from Jessops and to be honest, the chap I dealt with didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about, but I trusted him as he worked in the camera shop and I knew nothing about cameras.

Then I came away with a 58mm polariser for my 55-200mm lens that I bought.... A trip back the next day put that right, but it's a shame as there aren't too many other alternatives on the high street. But anyway, I digress....

As for cards, I find ebay is a must for this, they're VERY cheap compared to the high street. As for Aperture, as a newcomer to DSLR photography and editing, I found it to be more friendly than Lightroom so opted for that. I then bought an 18-55mm lens off ebay for £60 (superb condition), a nice sturdy tripod for £15 off eby (a hama one, not the best but a good start)

You'll get hooked like I have, I'm already thinking of what to save up for next. The problem is it's all so sodding expensive, someone earlier in this thread mentioned a body lasting 3-4 years, as a father of two young kids with a mortgage to pay I'll struggle to afford another lens in that time, never mind a new and improved body.

Ebay is definitely your friend.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Jessops are FINE !

Well simply don't buy from jessops its the PC world of cameras.

A somewhat derogatory comment from you there . . . . They are most certainly NOT the PC World of cameras. I cannot speak for all the staff at Jessops, but all that I have met and worked with (I worked there for a few years at Uni) have had an excellent knowledge of the products and they do not have any motive for selling you one particular item over another (other than sound advice) as they DO NOT work on commission, UNLIKE PC-World etc.

Jessops and Jacobs along with companies like London Camera Exchange pride themselves on their independence, stupid advice like you gave helps deprive customers of independence on the high-street - you should keep your partisan comments to yourself !
/RANT :mad:

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
A somewhat derogatory comment from you there . . . . They are most certainly NOT the PC World of cameras. I cannot speak for all the staff at Jessops, but all that I have met and worked with (I worked there for a few years at Uni) have had an excellent knowledge of the products and they do not have any motive for selling you one particular item over another (other than sound advice) as they DO NOT work on commission, UNLIKE PC-World etc.

Jessops and Jacobs along with companies like London Camera Exchange pride themselves on their independence, stupid advice like you gave helps deprive customers of independence on the high-street - you should keep your partisan comments to yourself !
/RANT :mad:

Your right it was quite a derogatory remark. I have met a few which have been amazing in their knowledge and experience! and a few who new nothing. My comment was mainly directed at the prices and stock rather then the staff themselves.

If you don't like my opinion , tough, its the internet and life everyone has an opinion. You don't have to read it or believe it but you have every right to defend and voice what you think. And I think my opinion was valid and helpful I supplied links to other products and prices for a more informed buying choice? Would you not want someone to show you a cheaper price or other alternatives?

So once again I state, I have mentioned nothing of their staff or knowledge mearly their prices! There are several shops I buy from and pay more for than I would on the internet because of their advice and service! But as you are so informed and of a higher level of knowledge then me you would know what I thought and everyone else should think already?

Seriously don't worry life is to short. If you want to be helpful, defend the people you know but offer at least some suggestions or input into the thread and help the OP out?

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Your right it was quite a derogatory remark. I have met a few which have been amazing in their knowledge and experience! and a few who new nothing. My comment was mainly directed at the prices and stock rather then the staff themselves.

You know, fair enough........ In my personal experience / opinion (and I am a professional Photographer) - Jessops et al have been excellent....... As for prices, they do tend to price match most people.

I just thought that your original post was a little unfair as mentioning PC-World and Jessops in the same breath is tantamount to treason in by book lol.

Yes, and you are also right, life is too short . . . . OP - Take note, get good advice (unbiased) from Jessops etc, and try and get them to match prices. If not then at least you have tried . . . having a local shop to take things back too when things go wrong is SOMETIMES worth that little bit extra money. Good luck - hope I did not offend anyone !

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
If youre on a serious budget scratch aperture. Use the demo of both aperture and lightroom when you get back to do PP.

As for cameras I would say Canon or D80. I started with a D40 but quickly became frustrated with the lack of in body autofocus. Great camera though.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
You know, fair enough........ In my personal experience / opinion (and I am a professional Photographer) - Jessops et al have been excellent....... As for prices, they do tend to price match most people.

I just thought that your original post was a little unfair as mentioning PC-World and Jessops in the same breath is tantamount to treason in by book lol.

Yes, and you are also right, life is too short . . . . OP - Take note, get good advice (unbiased) from Jessops etc, and try and get them to match prices. If not then at least you have tried . . . having a local shop to take things back too when things go wrong is SOMETIMES worth that little bit extra money. Good luck - hope I did not offend anyone !

Not questioning your profession at all, and I completely agree as I put in my post sometimes it is worth paying the extra. An lol I agree PC World is on another level, but its all about getting the right information and I have had mixed with jessops, but the ones that did know new ALOT! One thing I do not agree with is taking up someones time to get advice, personal opinions etc and then buying what they suggested online and not from them. I think that lacks common decency so OP don't just buy online after getting your information from a shop, show them a bit of respect too.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Agree there !

Not questioning your profession at all, and I completely agree as I put in my post sometimes it is worth paying the extra. An lol I agree PC World is on another level, but its all about getting the right information and I have had mixed with jessops, but the ones that did know new ALOT! One thing I do not agree with is taking up someones time to get advice, personal opinions etc and then buying what they suggested online and not from them. I think that lacks common decency so OP don't just buy online after getting your information from a shop, show them a bit of respect too.

Thanks - I agree 100% that you should not take a lot of time up with advice from Jessops etc and then buy online, was not suggesting that you should. What I was getting at (to assist the OP) was that frequently Jessops will price match. They did for me when buying my last body and second flash, saving almost £200 off their original price . . . . . . If they can not (or will not) price match, then it is fair game. ALSO - when I had a problem with my original body that was a couple of months old and my spare body was in use elsewhere, they loaned me a body for the day which was a real lifesaver. You won't get that sort of service from ANY online retailer..... that is one area where a Bricks and Mortar shop is unbeatable next to a clicks and mortar shop !

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Definately! Next time I make a big purchase I will see if they price match first so thanks for the heads up! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.