Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hey all, I'm looking into getting into photography and been looking at a few DSL-Rs currently. The ones I been looking at is the Sony a380, Nikon D5000, and the Nikon D90. Since I'm just starting out, I'm fine with a 18-105mm lens. As for the Sony, I was told by the camera salesman that the Konica Minolta lenses that I already have will fit onto the a380. So I am in search for your opinions on what to pick. A Nikon with a 18-105mm lens or a Sony body and use the current lenses I already have? Which is better and why? Also for the Nikon, which is better and why.

Thanks in advance.

-Tony

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
The AF Minolta lenses will work on the Sony alphas.
I am not a fan of the 380, the 350 is better in my opinion, better yet get the 700, I have the 350 and 700. 350 is great when I want live view and 700 is great when I want to shot action or do HDR's.

What will follow this post, a slew of people telling you to get either Nikon or Canon.
Go and try all the cameras for yourself, pick the one that feels best to YOU.
If you already have a lot of Minolta lenses than that's a plus for Sony.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
The AF Minolta lenses will work on the Sony alphas.
I am not a fan of the 380, the 350 is better in my opinion, better yet get the 700, I have the 350 and 700. 350 is great when I want live view and 700 is great when I want to shot action or do HDR's.

What will follow this post, a slew of people telling you to get either Nikon or Canon.
Go and try all the cameras for yourself, pick the one that feels best to YOU.
If you already have a lot of Minolta lenses than that's a plus for Sony.

I tested out the said cameras and am pulling towards a nikon but the cost is what's getting me. The Sony to me feels weird to hold for the a330 since they didn't have the a380 in stock but looks like the same type of grip. I like how the D90 and D5000 feels when held. The reason I don't want the a700 is because of no Live View shooting which I sort of need due to my vision. The Sony does have really fast live view shots on the a330 and I'm going to assume the same for the a380. I do currently have a good amount of Minolta lenses which would be a smarter pick for me when considering budget but I like how the nikon has video recording as well even tho I already have a video camera. It's just the convenience to it. I will wait on more opinions to see what people think before relaying it to my dad to see what he thinks. Right now he is thinking Sony due to having the Minolta lenses already and the cost.

-Tony

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
The Nikon D90 is far superior unless you want to shoot crappy video on your DSLR. As I'm a firm believer in dedicated devices - and there are many reasons for this, including but not limited to the breadth of shooting controls and ergonomics, if you had to pick one, pick the D90 and splash out other money with which to shoot video. Unless, of course, you absolutely have to have a DSLR that shoots video.

I suggest the Nikon as a camera because I think Canon and Nikon are at the forefront of the DSLR market, both in tech and products, and if you pick either of those, you can get a lot of really good used lenses very cheaply. Note that older lenses will not autofocus on the D5000, I think, but will on the D90.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
The Nikon D90 is far superior unless you want to shoot crappy video on your DSLR. As I'm a firm believer in dedicated devices - and there are many reasons for this, including but not limited to the breadth of shooting controls and ergonomics, if you had to pick one, pick the D90 and splash out other money with which to shoot video. Unless, of course, you absolutely have to have a DSLR that shoots video.

I suggest the Nikon as a camera because I think Canon and Nikon are at the forefront of the DSLR market, both in tech and products, and if you pick either of those, you can get a lot of really good used lenses very cheaply. Note that older lenses will not autofocus on the D5000, I think, but will on the D90.

Yes I liked the ergonomics of the D90 because it just felt right in my hand. As for video.... nothing really needed for me since I already got a Panasonic HDC-TM300 for HD video. So far I found a bundle from Adorama for the D90 at just a little over $1200 which comes with a 18-105mm VR lens, spare battery, camera bag, and pro cleaning kit which is pretty good to me. It's just convincing my dad to get it for me :D he like the D90 but because of money.... he is considering the Sony a380 which I don't like how it feels in my hand but he says it'll save us money because we already got Minolta Lenses.

-Tony

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Which minolta lenses do you have? Remember the crop factor - you are unlikely to have anything which will be a wide-angle on APS-C.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Try looking for a a350, I've seen deals on them around my area.
$699 for the body, 18-70, 50-200, vertical grip all new in box at ritz. The 350 will feel much better in your hand than the 380, the 380's are a joke when it comes to design.
Sony's image stabilization is built into the body so all the lenses you have will take advantage of that.
D90 $900 camera
a350 $500 camera, apples to oranges here.

clams

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
Try looking for a a350, I've seen deals on them around my area.
$699 for the body, 18-70, 50-200, vertical grip all new in box at ritz. The 350 will feel much better in your hand than the 380, the 380's are a joke when it comes to design.
Sony's image stabilization is built into the body so all the lenses you have will take advantage of that.
D90 $900 camera
a350 $500 camera, apples to oranges here.

One thing that you should definitely consider here is the fact that Sony just is not up to Nikon and Canon's snuff when it comes to noise at low light photography. Both Nikon and Canon are undoubtedly industry standards for controlling noise in consumer dSLRs. Take this into consideration if you would ever decide on taking pictures indoors. Although the image stabilization of the Sony helps, both Canon and Nikon are making this feature very affordable in their consumer zooms.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
If ergonomics are important to you, buy the camera that is most comfortable. I can't stress the importance of this enough, which is why I often tell people to try holding and using the cameras they're interested in. Splash out for the D90 if you can, since you seem to like it best. My D80, the previous generation of it, has been an excellent performer.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Yes I liked the ergonomics of the D90 because it just felt right in my hand. As for video.... nothing really needed for me since I already got a Panasonic HDC-TM300 for HD video. So far I found a bundle from Adorama for the D90 at just a little over $1200 which comes with a 18-105mm VR lens, spare battery, camera bag, and pro cleaning kit which is pretty good to me. It's just convincing my dad to get it for me :D he like the D90 but because of money.... he is considering the Sony a380 which I don't like how it feels in my hand but he says it'll save us money because we already got Minolta Lenses.

-Tony

if i were you, i would see if you can get a better deal. Most likely, the camera bag is garbage, the spare battery is off-brand, and the cleaning kit...what ever..

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with third party batteries. A lot of them are actually better than the OEMs. But with this said kit, They charge you for the extras. I am sure if you look around, you can get a better deal with just the body and that lens.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
to start with, "SLR" is a single acronym. there is no hyphen. it stands for "single-lens reflex," meaning it has a mirror that flips up and down. "D" is added when specifically referring to digital.

I tested out the said cameras and am pulling towards a nikon but the cost is what's getting me. The Sony to me feels weird to hold for the a330 since they didn't have the a380 in stock but looks like the same type of grip.

great. rule out all the Sonys.

I like how the D90 and D5000 feels when held. The reason I don't want the a700 is because of no Live View shooting which I sort of need due to my vision. The Sony does have really fast live view shots on the a330 and I'm going to assume the same for the a380.

why would you need Live View because of your vision? do you have some sort of medical condition, or do you just where glasses? if the latter, there should be no major issues wearing glasses and using a viewfinder. if it bothers you, you can try contact lenses or changing the diopter in the camera to match your vision.

Live View is a poor substitute for a viewfinder, and you pay the price in sensor heat and slow AF speed.

I do currently have a good amount of Minolta lenses which would be a smarter pick for me when considering budget

you haven't told us what lenses those are. they may become awkward focal lengths on APS-C, and if they're manual focus, you'll have to practice a lot to get good results from crappy DSLR viewfinders.

is there any reason why you've ruled out Olympus or Pentax? both of those are cheaper than Nikon.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
why would you need Live View because of your vision? do you have some sort of medical condition, or do you just where glasses? if the latter, there should be no major issues wearing glasses and using a viewfinder. if it bothers you, you can try contact lenses or changing the diopter in the camera to match your vision.

The eyepoint of Nikon DSLRs is very poor after the D100.
Contact lenses and diopter adjustment are no options for many people.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009

Live View is a poor substitute for a viewfinder, and you pay the price in sensor heat and slow AF speed.

the a350 uses a second sensor for it's live view so this statement does not apply to the sony

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
For good ergonomics, including wearing glasses, you can get a used D100 for $200.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
to start with, "SLR" is a single acronym. there is no hyphen. it stands for "single-lens reflex," meaning it has a mirror that flips up and down. "D" is added when specifically referring to digital.

you haven't told us what lenses those are. they may become awkward focal lengths on APS-C, and if they're manual focus, you'll have to practice a lot to get good results from crappy DSLR viewfinders.

is there any reason why you've ruled out Olympus or Pentax? both of those are cheaper than Nikon.

Didn't think was a spelling bee and I misplaced the hyphen by accident and didn't bother to change location since I'm sure people know what I'm talking about. I do not have a medical condition and yes I do wear glasses but my vision is so bad that the diopter doesn't help me because it still looks blurred because I have severe astigmatism. As for contact lenses, I don't like the fact of having something in my eyes because I rub my eyes a lot even with glasses so that's a bad idea. As for lenses.... I'm in the process of upping some pics of them since this camera is mainly my dad's and he just gave it to me for learning but plans on getting me a D-SLR since it's simpler than going through a roll of film and finding out it was really out of focus or something. As for Olympus or Pentax.... It's not my major choice in picking since my dad is getting it for me. He prefers Canon and Nikon over those so I'm in no obligation to go against the one who is buying the camera for me.

The eyepoint of Nikon DSLRs is very poor after the D100.
Contact lenses and diopter adjustment are no options for many people.

I Agree.

the a350 uses a second sensor for it's live view so this statement does not apply to the sony

Yes, I have read about that and that's the reason it is so fast in processing it to the LV.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
yes the lenses will work on all the sony alphas
not sure on the tele converter

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
yes the lenses will work on all the sony alphas
not sure on the tele converter

Ok thanks. Can you please tell me the difference between the a350 and a380? I know the ergonomics on the a350 is better for I have tried it yesterday as well and thought it felt so much better in my hand than the a330 which has the same grip as the a380. What does the a350 have over the a380 and vice versa?

-Tony

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
sony went backwards with the 380 i would go for a 350, would not get the 380

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...&cameras=sony_dslra350,sony_dslra380&show=all

maybe even get the a300 it's the same as the 350 just less megapixels.
or wait to see what sony releases in the next few months, plenty of rumors about a 500 series

Just looked at the link you gave me and they seem identical minus some stuff here and here which is minor but I noticed the storage card is a CF on the a350. I sort of don't want to go back to using CF since I have stacks of SD and a few MS already... but ugh hate how it feels lol. I will discuss it with my dad and see what he thinks since I know he doesn't want to buy additional cards.
Thanks for your help a350. As for the rumored 500 series you said.... it might be out of my price range. But I will take the Sony into consideration due to the lenses I already have and will be saving money due to it.

-Tony

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
sony has an adapter so you can use your ms duo cards

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...&langId=-1&productId=11034265&tab=featuresTab

it's pricey to get through sony ($55) but may find elsewhere for much cheaper amazon($45 used).

i've seen sd to cf adapters from $11 on amazon so there are adapters out there for cheap, not sure the compatibility or quality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WWYF15DNE4FEJATV3AG

Only have 3 MS pro duo cards so no need for an adapter since I mainly use it on my PSP. As for the SD/SDHC to CF adapter... looks great. was just reading comments on it and is rated pretty good minus no support for eye-fi as one said and another saying it might not fit some devices since it is a bit thicker to incorporate the converter? but yea I will take this into consideration since it is best for me. No on tested 32gb SD card in it yet but says a 16GB card will work which is the max I have currently. One of the guys said he hasn't seen any performance decrease to it so that's a plus for me.

-Tony

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hey a350 what do you think of the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 & DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lenses that comes with the Sony a350x? or should I just get body only and utilize my own lenses? the a350x coming with those 2 lenses from amazon.com costs $813

-Tony

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
18-70 is ok, plastic mount.
don't have the 50-200
here is a list of the lenses i have now.

Zoom lenses
* Sony ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* DT16-80mm 3.5-4.5 za Great

* Sony 18-70mm 3.5-5.6 (kit lens) good

* Sony 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 good to great

* Quantaray 70-210mm 4-5.6 good

* Quantaray 28-90mm 3.5-5.6 great

* Minolta 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 good

Prime lenses
* Sony 500mm f8 Reflex great

* Sony 50mm 1.4 great

* Minolta 28mm 2.8 good

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.