Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The eyepoint of Nikon DSLRs is very poor after the D100.
Contact lenses and diopter adjustment are no options for many people.

That's not true, at least in my experience. I had no trouble with the D300, let alone the D700, which takes its cue from the D3, which has a huge viewfinder.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
That's not true, at least in my experience. I had no trouble with the D300, let alone the D700, which takes its cue from the D3, which has a huge viewfinder.

A big viewfinder is even worse when the eyepoint is so small.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
As for Olympus or Pentax.... It's not my major choice in picking since my dad is getting it for me. He prefers Canon and Nikon over those so I'm in no obligation to go against the one who is buying the camera for me.

forgot to add this to my first post, but Sony and Olympus' implementation of Live View is more like point-&-shoots than Canon or Nikon's. dunno if Pentax has Live View yet... so if you want the LCD to replace the viewfinder, Nikon might not be for you.

i have no issues using glasses with a 5D, which also has a large viewfinder.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
I can get use to the view finder but like I said I need LV to help with my vision issues. But my dad was looking at the D90 comparing it to our point and shoot Canon Powershot a640 and said resolution is pretty close to each other... in other words he doesn't wanna get it due to it being close to each other in resolution so I suggested the Canon 50D which is high res but doesn't have live view for taking pictures which I guess is ok for me. I was at Best Buy yesterday and tested it and liked it even tho I couldn't use LV to see what I was taking. So I'm still trying to decide and persuade my dad.

-Tony

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You don't compare megapixel count. P&S have too many. The quality of the DSLR images will be WAY WAY better.

People say the 50D is worse than the 40D because it has too many megapixels too.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
You don't compare megapixel count. P&S have too many. The quality of the DSLR images will be WAY WAY better.

People say the 50D is worse than the 40D because it has too many megapixels too.

The 50D has more megapixels, but on the same size sensor. The IQ is part of the reason I shoot 40D instead of 50D.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
But my dad was looking at the D90 comparing it to our point and shoot Canon Powershot a640 and said resolution is pretty close to each other... in other words he doesn't wanna get it due to it being close to each other in resolution

resolution is a function of lens resolution and sensor size (and technology, to a lesser extent). the lowest of DSLRs are superior to the highest of point-&-shoots in this regard. megapixels have little to do with it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
But my dad was looking at the D90 comparing it to our point and shoot Canon Powershot a640 and said resolution is pretty close to each other... in other words he doesn't wanna get it due to it being close to each other in resolution

Take him to a store like Best Buy that has the D90 in stock and bring along the Powershot. Take the same picture with each, then go to Wal*Mart and get an 8x10 print made from each. The ~$8 it will cost will quickly put the number of megapixels myth to rest.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
Take him to a store like Best Buy that has the D90 in stock and bring along the Powershot. Take the same picture with each, then go to Wal*Mart and get an 8x10 print made from each. The ~$8 it will cost will quickly put the number of megapixels myth to rest.

Understandable. So far we just took pics with the 50D and the D90 using our own SD card and brought it home to compare on the computer when blown up bigger. I guess that isn't a good way to compare. I know my dad wants a DSLR as well but my dad just wants to find a way out of buying it for me since he owes me lol. But I will explain what you guys have said. I know he knows all this since the minolta is his. He knows a lot about cameras which is why I know he trying to get out of buying it for me through that same resolution comparison.

-Tony

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Understandable. So far we just took pics with the 50D and the D90 using our own SD card and brought it home to compare on the computer when blown up bigger. I guess that isn't a good way to compare. I know my dad wants a DSLR as well but my dad just wants to find a way out of buying it for me since he owes me lol. But I will explain what you guys have said. I know he knows all this since the minolta is his. He knows a lot about cameras which is why I know he trying to get out of buying it for me through that same resolution comparison.

-Tony

*Seriously* evaluate prints from images shot side-by-side at the same ISO and aperture. 8x10 is a reasonable size and under $2/print. Looking at images on a screen won't show you the differences as well as putting two prints side-by-side will. If you shoot at base ISO, somewhere in the middle and high ISO you'll get the best comparison- shifting apertures to see the lens sweet spots.

Zion21

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
smile.gif

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Nothing is more annoying then a big viewfinder with a small eye point. Check out the canons

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
... in other words he doesn't wanna get it due to it being close to each other in resolution so I suggested the Canon 50D which is high res but doesn't have live view for taking pictures which I guess is ok for me.
Huh? :confused:

I have a 50D and it most assuredly does have live view.

Which, IMO, isn't useful except on a tripod, zoomed in, to check critical focus. Its not something you'd want to use normally like on a P&S, and for the same reason; it's s-l-o-w. It can be difficult to explain to someone new to a dSLR, but that viewfinder is your friend. Its part of the system that gives you the ability to almost instantaneously get a shot. If you're good with shutter lag, you can save boatloads of money staying with a P&S. My 2¢.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Nikons below D300 don't have "hand-held" live view.

The Olympus have it similar to the D300 (but the old E-330 also had another mode with an extra sensor like Sony).

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
Huh? :confused:

I have a 50D and it most assuredly does have live view.

Which, IMO, isn't useful except on a tripod, zoomed in, to check critical focus. Its not something you'd want to use normally like on a P&S, and for the same reason; it's s-l-o-w. It can be difficult to explain to someone new to a dSLR, but that viewfinder is your friend. Its part of the system that gives you the ability to almost instantaneously get a shot. If you're good with shutter lag, you can save boatloads of money staying with a P&S. My 2¢.

I guess I was misinformed >_<

The Nikons below D300 don't have "hand-held" live view.

The Olympus have it similar to the D300 (but the old E-330 also had another mode with an extra sensor like Sony).

What do you mean by "hand-held" live view?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What do you mean by "hand-held" live view?

That is what it's called by Nikon. You press the AF button, the mirror goes down, and it makes a fast phase-detect AF.

Their cheaper cameras only have the slow contrast-detect "Tripod" mode, which maintains the live view but uses the imaging sensor.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
That is what it's called by Nikon. You press the AF button, the mirror goes down, and it makes a fast phase-detect AF.

Their cheaper cameras only have the slow contrast-detect "Tripod" mode, which maintains the live view but uses the imaging sensor.

thanks for the clarification.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
But my dad was looking at the D90 comparing it to our point and shoot Canon Powershot a640 and said resolution is pretty close to each other... in other words he doesn't wanna get it due to it being close to each other in resolution so I suggested the Canon 50D which is high res but doesn't have live view for taking pictures which I guess is ok for me. I was at Best Buy yesterday and tested it and liked it even tho I couldn't use LV to see what I was taking. So I'm still trying to decide and persuade my dad.

-Tony

Sensor size has soo much to do with IQ on cameras. I just love how the marketing department of all these manufacturers use megapixels as a selling point. Too many MP on a small sensor results in heavy use of AA filters on the sensors to try and keep noise under control. The difference in 4 megapixels on a P&S are a wash. How many people actually enlarge pictures larger than 8x10? most people use them to get 5x7s and to post the pictures online. An 8Mp P&S can do enlargements of 8x10 with no problems.

And remember, the sensor size on a P&S is the size of a dime, whereas most DSLRs (except higher end ones, ie full frame cameras or the 1D series (Canon) ) are quite a bit larger.

The G10, for example (14MP), has a sensor size of 7.60x5.70mm. The XSI has a sensor size of 22.3x14.9mm. But they shoved more megapixels on the G10, which i think 12MP was more than enough (G9).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.