Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
hello guys, i am planning to buy the MacBook Pro base model 2016, now I have two places I'm considering getting it from. One is from Best Buy that is Open box- excellent geek certified, and one from eBay seller that has the item new and sealed but obviously no receipt. To be honest I'm considering the one from eBay since it's unopened and I never really bought anything from Best Buy that's open box so im a bit hesitant (but please let me know your experience if you bought an open box certified from them and how warranty works and so on). I guess my question is does receipt matters in terms of the 1 year manufacturer warranty from apple? Let's say if ever there's some problem that occur in the future and my laptop is still covered with the 1 year warranty and I bring it to Apple Store, would they look for the laptop's receipt? Also, if I can still purchase the apple protection plan, would they look for the laptop's receipt also or all they need is the laptop's serial number and there would be no problem?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The one year warranty starts when the machine is 1st powered on / logged into.. You should not need the receipt as the warranty is tired to the Mac's SN #..

Yes you can buy the Apple Care Plus coverage at anytime within the one year... This again is based on the SN # and the registration date and not the receipt..

I've bought open box from Best Buy before and you will be fine going that route. I'd be cautious of eBay but that's just me..

Have you considered BH Photo? No sales tax and free shipping. They have the 2016's on sale right now as well. You can get the base for $1374.....

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
I work at Best Buy. We only Geek Squad certify an item if it is in pristine condition. If it's missing something as trivial as the Apple stickers it cannot be certified. You should have no issues as far as warranty claims go with Apple.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
The one year warranty starts when the machine is 1st powered on / logged into.. You should not need the receipt as the warranty is tired to the Mac's SN #..

Yes you can buy the Apple Care Plus coverage at anytime within the one year... This again is based on the SN # and the registration date and not the receipt..

I've bought open box from Best Buy before and you will be fine going that route. I'd be cautious of eBay but that's just me..

Have you considered BH Photo? No sales tax and free shipping. They have the 2016's on sale right now as well. You can get the base for $1374.....

So if ever I get the one from Best Buy I guess the warranty started already since it's an open box? Is there a possibility to show apple my receipt from Best Buy and maybe they can renew the manufacturer warranty date since I just got the device? I've been reading bad reviews about the open box certified that's why I'm kinda hesitant about it than the sealed one from eBay. I checked the serial number of the laptop from eBay and it's until dec 2017.

No, I never did, I've never heard of BH photo but I will check it out right now.
[doublepost=1482377644][/doublepost]
I work at Best Buy. We only Geek Squad certify an item if it is in pristine condition. If it's missing something as trivial as the Apple stickers it cannot be certified. You should have no issues as far as warranty claims go with Apple.

Would it make a difference if I see the open box certified laptop first in person and maybe check everything than buying it online? We don't have Best Buy to where I live so I would have to just order it online, and I've been reading comments about open box that's why I was so hesitant.

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
So if ever I get the one from Best Buy I guess the warranty started already since it's an open box? Is there a possibility to show apple my receipt from Best Buy and maybe they can renew the manufacturer warranty date since I just got the device? I've been reading bad reviews about the open box certified that's why I'm kinda hesitant about it than the sealed one from eBay. I checked the serial number of the laptop from eBay and it's until dec 2017.

No, I never did, I've never heard of BH photo but I will check it out right now.
[doublepost=1482377644][/doublepost]

Would it make a difference if I see the open box certified laptop first in person and maybe check everything than buying it online? We don't have Best Buy to where I live so I would have to just order it online, and I've been reading comments about open box that's why I was so hesitant.

Not really. Some open box items listed on our site are not in retail stores. But if you can get the new one from B&H, I'd get that. Open Box is nice if you're getting a good deal but that's it. BBY's holiday return policy is in effect until Jan 15th in case you purchase it and decide you do not want it or something goes wrong with it. We also price match B&H.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Plus if you get it from BH they are offering a free download of Parallels... That's usually like $80 just for it if you were to purchase it..

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I would be leery of a Best Buy open box for a computer. What if the person purchased it thought it had a defect and took it back. I would think getting an obvious defect from open box is higher then getting new. After all it was returned for some reason.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
If the Best Buy open box price is similar to BH price then I'd personally get it from BH... Brand new in box, no tax and free shipping... I think they are $1,374 right now...

Yup, still on sale. Here is the link --> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1293728-REG/apple_mll42ll_a_13_3_macbook_pro_with.html

I guess it's worth 50 bucks more for a new and sealed one than the open box from Best Buy. How good/ legit is the BHphoTo? I mean with return and exchange and also warranty is the same and everything? Like buying from an Apple Store? If I bring the laptop to an Apple Store and they ask for the receipt will the BH photo receipt be acceptable? And lastly, I don't have to buy the Apple protection plan from them (BH PHOTO) right? I can buy it anywhere? I'm so sorry for all the questions!

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
You should buy from B&h photo. They're offering $100 off the MacBook Pro 2016 plus parallels for mac for free. Also, if you live outside NYC, they dont charge taxes (at least not upfront. you may have to file for them later on your own though, I'm still not sure how that works lol) but the $100 off is pretty sweet tho and not having to pay taxes upfront isn't bad at all if you're in a tight budget. I personally don't like purchasing used products unless it's refurbished from Apple.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Not really. Some open box items listed on our site are not in retail stores. But if you can get the new one from B&H, I'd get that. Open Box is nice if you're getting a good deal but that's it. BBY's holiday return policy is in effect until Jan 15th in case you purchase it and decide you do not want it or something goes wrong with it. We also price match B&H.

Best Buy have 14 days policy only right? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong- The open box laptop's warranty start date would be earlier than my purchase date since it was purchased before by someone else, is that correct?

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
I guess it's worth 50 bucks more for a new and sealed one than the open box from Best Buy. How good/ legit is the BHphoTo? I mean with return and exchange and also warranty is the same and everything? Like buying from an Apple Store? If I bring the laptop to an Apple Store and they ask for the receipt will the BH photo receipt be acceptable? And lastly, I don't have to buy the Apple protection plan from them (BH PHOTO) right? I can buy it anywhere? I'm so sorry for all the questions!

Aah i just noticed someone else also mentioned B&h. They're a pretty big store in New York and a pretty big deal among photographers. I bought a very expensive camera for a friend a couple years ago and no problem at all, and just bought a MacBook Pro 2016, I only paid $1374, free parallels for mac and free overnight shipping and no taxes. The only downside is they don't do returns on unwrapped computers, unless they're defective. So just make sure you're buying what you really want! And yes you can buy AppleCare from Apple or b&h, I personally like waiting a year before buying it, since Apple allows you to purchase it later on!

Btw b&h has a holiday return policy right now, so as long as you don't unwrap it, you have until feb 1st to return it. I went to the Apple Store before I bought it to decide on the color I really wanted, I bought it yesterday and got it today.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I would be leery of a Best Buy open box for a computer. What if the person purchased it thought it had a defect and took it back. I would think getting an obvious defect from open box is higher then getting new. After all it was returned for some reason.

That's why I was hesitant getting the one from Best Buy, and I was considering the one from eBay, but since pretty much mostly said not on eBay, I guess I will try BH photo, I won't be purchasing till next week so if they're not gonna be on sale anymore I guess the second route would just be on Best Buy :/

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
Best Buy have 14 days policy only right? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong- The open box laptop's warranty start date would be earlier than my purchase date since it was purchased before by someone else, is that correct?
Not for the holidays. From October onward, our holiday return policy is in effect. You can return any item until January 15th. It depends on the item, but usually it's the day the item was originally opened, so the Apple warranty is already in effect. It's one of the variables that is built into the cheaper, open box price.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

-BH is 100000% legit
-Exactly the same as buying from Apple Store warranty wise
-You do not need the receipt to get service, it's by SN #
-You can buy the Apple Care + just the same and you can buy that direct from Apple if you want

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Aah i just noticed someone else also mentioned B&h. They're a pretty big store in New York and a pretty big deal among photographers. I bought a very expensive camera for a friend a couple years ago and no problem at all, and just bought a MacBook Pro 2016, I only paid $1374, free parallels for mac and free overnight shipping and no taxes. The only downside is they don't do returns on unwrapped computers, unless they're defective. So just make sure you're buying what you really want! And yes you can buy AppleCare from Apple or b&h, I personally like waiting a year before buying it, since Apple allows you to purchase it later on!

Btw b&h has a holiday return policy right now, so as long as you don't unwrap it, you have until feb 1st to return it. I went to the Apple Store before I bought it to decide on the color I really wanted, I bought it yesterday and got it today.

When it's defective, aren't we supposed to bring it to Apple Store since they're he manufacturer ? When I got an iPhone from a retail store, instead of bringing it back to them I brought it to Apple Store. I'm so sorry for all the questions, first time buying a MacBook Pro and I wanna be sure as they are soooo pricey!!

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
When it's defective, aren't we supposed to bring it to Apple Store since they're he manufacturer ? When I got an iPhone from a retail store, instead of bringing it back to them I brought it to Apple Store. I'm so sorry for all the questions, first time buying a MacBook Pro and I wanna be sure as they are soooo pricey!!

It depends, if it's still under return policy then b&h will replace it for you. Once it's outside the return policy then you go through Apple. It's the same with most retail stores. I used to work for Best Buy, and if you bought an iPhone that was defective within your return policy (14 days) we could exchange it, after the 14 days then it falls under the manufactures warranty.

Btw dont worry about asking questions, its best to be informed before making a big purchase.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I bought New from B&H Video (this 2016 MBP), I bought New from Best Buy, I bought New from PowerMax, I would never buy a open box computer from a reseller, if I traveled down that road it would be a refurbished from the Apple Store but that is just my take, I have purchased a few times from Apple refurbished.

I have returned a unit I thought was suspect to Best Buy, guess what it was an open box 24 hours later. I would go New from a reputable reseller if they have discount and no state taxes.

Last edited:

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
BestBuy price matches with b&h - just take your phone in with the ad and they'll match it. I've done it numerous times.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I see. Thank you guys very very much for answering all my questions!!!! Now I know what route to take, and hopefully BHphoto will be on sale for a while. I love apple products but heck they are pricey! I'll be keeping the computer for a while so I have to be so so sure. Thanks so much again and I'm sorry for too many questions!!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
BestBuy price matches with b&h - just take your phone in with the ad and they'll match it. I've done it numerous times.

Yeah but you'd still have to pay sales tax at Best Buy.... That could still make it $100+ more than BH

Reactions: Gualwer

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016

hi there, I followed your advice guys and finally got my MacBook Pro! very happy with it. you mentioned you purchased from them too, I just wanna ask how do I claim the free parallels for Mac? whenever I check my order history, it says that the parallels for Mac is still processing. I thought they would email it to us after 24 hours?

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
hi there, I followed your advice guys and finally got my MacBook Pro! very happy with it. you mentioned you purchased from them too, I just wanna ask how do I claim the free parallels for Mac? whenever I check my order history, it says that the parallels for Mac is still processing. I thought they would email it to us after 24 hours?

It can take longer than that. It took them 2 days for me to get it. Btw, if their MacBook price drops within 30 days they will give you a refund! I found that out today cuz I noticed it went down to 1349.99, so they refunded $25.99! Every penny counts ;)

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
It can take longer than that. It took them 2 days for me to get it. Btw, if their MacBook price drops within 30 days they will give you a refund! I found that out today cuz I noticed it went down to 1349.99, so they refunded $25.99! Every penny counts ;)

thanks so much for all the tips!! btw, is your MacBook feeling hot on the bottom? I noticed it was hot yesterday, but today it seems to be a little less. should I use it right now while unplug to test the battery? how long should it take for the battery to last without being plugged in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.