Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazertag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Im trying to setup a new (used) iMac with no USB mouse. I can tab through everything just fine until I hit the Diagnostics and Usage screen, and I cannot tab to "Continue"

Anyone know what gives here or have any suggestions? I have a magic mouse but cannot figure out how to pair it during the setup phase.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Im trying to setup a new (used) iMac with no USB mouse. I can tab through everything just fine until I hit the Diagnostics and Usage screen, and I cannot tab to "Continue"

Anyone know what gives here or have any suggestions? I have a magic mouse but cannot figure out how to pair it during the setup phase.

Shut your new Mac off. Make sure your Mouse power switch is also off.
The first time you start up your Mac, Setup Assistant guides you in pairing your Apple Magic Mouse with your Mac.
To pair your mouse with a new Mac:
1 Slide the On/off switch on the bottom of your
mouse to turn it on.
2 Turn on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions in Setup Assistant.
I think that if you have another Mac, and the magic mouse is already paired to that other Mac, make sure that other computer is turned off (or the bluetooth card is turned off.) so that other computer doesn't interfere with the process of pairing to your "new" Mac.

hazertag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Shut your new Mac off. Make sure your Mouse power switch is also off.

I think that if you have another Mac, and the magic mouse is already paired to that other Mac, make sure that other computer is turned off (or the bluetooth card is turned off.) so that other computer doesn't interfere with the process of pairing to your "new" Mac.

Thanks for the quick response. It doesn't seem to recognize the Magic Mouse. Does the fact that I have a USB keyboard confuse it?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My magic mouse usually comes right up (and connects) simply by turning the power switch on (you'll see the power LED begin to blink)
Click the left mouse button a couple of times, and wait a few seconds.
You should be able to move the cursor within a few seconds.
If not - shut the mouse power off, (I usually pop the batteries out for a moment, then back in), switch back on, click the mouse a couple of times.
I have done this on several different Macs, and it will usually connect.

You can tell it's connected when you move the mouse, and the cursor follows.

hint - if you have more than one Mac or other computer, it's a Good Thing™ to find a USB mouse to keep around for that time when the mouse batteries go flat at 2am. Doesn't have to be new, and certainly doesn't have to be Apple branded.
I look through yard sales for that kind of tech - just my 2 cents.

If the Magic Mouse came with the used Mac, replace the batteries first (if you haven't already tried that!)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yep, turn the switch on, and the LED should be blinking.
Also, it won't blink if the batteries are almost dead.
Steady means it is paired with your Mac (connected)
But, ultimately, the mouse is only working if you can move the cursor.

The "pairing mode" lasts only 30 seconds or so, that's why I turn the mouse off, so I'm sure the pairing mode comes on.
Turn on the power, put mouse down. Click a couple of times, and that should do it. Try to move the cursor on the screen.
If it doesn't seem to work, try the same process again, until it works (or you give up) If you CAN'T get the pairing to work, open your bottom drawer, and pull out your spare USB mouse - that one that you stuck away because you bought the wireless mouse. Guess what? now you need the USB mouse.

Finally - are you sure the magic mouse is good? This is the step where you change the batteries :D Does the light come on at all?
Leave the battery cover OFF - the batteries will stay in place for this test. Some folks report a better connection with the bottom cover off. Try it to see if THAT helps.

hazertag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Alright. I found an (old) USB mouse. Plugged it in. THe lights come on so it seems to be functional. However, the cursor STILL does not move. Seems like the computer is not recognizing any input from the mouse.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
bluetooth uses the USB bus, too.
Something may be wrong with the USB bus.
Try a PRAM reset.

Which iMac do you have?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
bluetooth uses the USB bus, too.
Something may be wrong with the USB bus.

The OP mentioned being able to "tab through everything just fine", and I'm pretty sure the keyboard is connected through the USB bus as well ;)

----------

Alright. I found an (old) USB mouse. Plugged it in. THe lights come on so it seems to be functional. However, the cursor STILL does not move. Seems like the computer is not recognizing any input from the mouse.

Try a PRAM reset, as mentioned above, and if that fails check if the mouse works in the Recovery OS to rule out any OS-based problems.

kallyflynn

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Cannot setup new (used) iMac with out mouse.

I just got my new (used) iMac and made it as far as turning it on. I just started the set up process. It is asking what country, I am able to scroll up and down with my keyboard (connected through usb) but when I hit enter to continue it just makes an error noise and does nothing. HELP! I tried the Control Fn 1, as I saw was suggested but it just makes the same error noise.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta

Ok, I hate to ask the question, since you must have a good reason, but why not just go out and buy a new usb mouse for $20? If you just want to make sure the mac works but really don't want to use it, then return the mouse the next day?

fivewombles

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
Cannot setup new (used) iMac with out mouse.

I just got my new (used) iMac and made it as far as turning it on. I just started the set up process. It is asking what country, I am able to scroll up and down with my keyboard (connected through usb) but when I hit enter to continue it just makes an error noise and does nothing. HELP! I tried the Control Fn 1, as I saw was suggested but it just makes the same error noise.
Hi did you find out how to select continue - I'm stuck on the same step! TIA

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you using a USB (wired) mouse?
Did you try plugging the mouse in a different port? (change to a different port while the screen is on - reseat the mouse a time or two.)
Do you ever see a mouse cursor that you can move with the mouse?

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
An inexpensive USB mouse and keyboard are very useful to keep around. Especially when the "Magic" ones have their charge or batteries go flat. Upgrading or restoring the OS are also in play.

As a side note, I use a Logitech mouse and keyboard that drove me crazy with a jumpy cursor. I solved it by using a short USB extension cord (M-F) to move the Logitech dongle away from my iMac, e.g. don't plug it directly into a computer USB port.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.