Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dshelgren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Help!!
Freaking new dev trying to update my mac to a newer OS. But Snow Leopard, instead of installing made a directory of "Mac OS X Install Data". This weird iMac was on El Capitan, but it broke(Os damaged, please re-install) installing dev tools and the only disc that'd boot was 10.5.
I'm not scared of terminal. How to convert the .pkg directory into anything? Or am I tossing this thing onto the street?

Dshelgren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
So for further details, wondering why? I'm working on an iOS app, which needs apple authorization & testing. I use a network of PC's to do so, but they need an Apple authorised "link". Aka any intel or M1 mac with xcode & mono on the network. The mac itself does nothing but semi-compile & check in with "mommy". So the requirements are rediculously low. Just having trouble getting to app store(OS) to install latest OS for this system.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
No one is going to be able to help you unless you can articulate better what the problem is? Right now your response is difficult to digest and figure out what is the problem, and what you want.

Just off the top
You do realize El Captain is a newer OS then Snow leopard (10.6)
So going backwards could be part of the problem here.
Why are you going to an older OS in the first place? If you state trying to update to a newer OS
What are the dev tools you are trying to install what are the requirement.
What Mac hardware is this?

Dshelgren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
No one is going to be able to help you unless you can articulate better what the problem is? Right now your response is difficult to digest and figure out what is the problem, and what you want.

Just off the top
You do realize El Captain is a newer OS then Snow leopard (10.6)
So going backwards could be part of the problem here.
Why are you going to an older OS in the first place? If you state trying to update to a newer OS
What are the dev tools you are trying to install what are the requirement.
What Mac hardware is this?
So the system a 2008 iMac, if dead crashed, must boot from a 10.5. Yes that's the wrong OS. I did dead kill the onboard, to do a total reset. So, it's now happily running 10.5.
The issue is that snow leopard, the "jump" upgrade is not doing the update after restart.
It has however created the correct Install os X directory. But that's literally many .pkg's.

Dshelgren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
So to be 100% clear El capitan ->Shattered<- full bricked, dead, done. Firmware gone, etc. Starting over from the first bootable OS!

Dshelgren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Oops, crap, forgot about the NEW laws. I was an Apple employee. Don't know why that's legally required when discussing apple products, but there, it's now a legal conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.