Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
OK. We get it. You hate everything about the iPad. You don't need to make any more new threads about it. Thanks.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Well, it does look clumsy and hard to control. They'd be better off allowing us to use the PS3 or some other gamepad via bluetooth to control games.

InvalidBassist

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Chicago
I'm not going to lie... I think it looks fun.

Yes, you might have to put it on a table to get full use out of it and the graphics aren't as good as say... a game running on a MacBook, but I doubt that they built this from the ground up for the iPad, they just ported it over from the App Store.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Change thread title to 'Here's what a non-optomized game on the iPad looks like (NOVA)'......

With control adjustments it would play fine. If second thumb where exisiting fire button controlled screen turn, and tap on screen controlled firing, the games controls would be sorted.

Simples....

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
Wow, that looks like a lotta fun!!! LOL! Watch out Xbox and PS3! :eek:

I'm so glad I didn't buy that Apple stock !!!

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
why not use the accelerometer to control where the person looks? wow... controls really look bad.

sfmountainbiker

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
I actually bought this game for my iPod touch since it had great reviews, but was frustrated by the control issues you see here (and was thus skeptical of the gaming potential for the iPad).

There simply is not enough "buttons" to control moving, aiming, and looking at the same time. Yes, the accelerometer or another button might help, but ultimately I think that the problem is that pc/platform gaming simply does not translate perfectly to touch screen gaming.

Another problem I have with the driving games is that they want you to use the accelerometer to steer. Hell, I have to LOOK at the screen to see where I'm going, so tilting it and turning it this way and that does NOT improve my ability to drive.

Still, other games that involve physics, or turn based games like Civ Revolutions work great. I think it's about finding the right game/interface for the platform.

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
why not use the accelerometer to control where the person looks? wow... controls really look bad.
Tilt to look is the worst possible control scheme for the iPhone, let alone a bigger version of it.

Zerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
I have ZERO interest in playing a fps on a 9 inch touch screen.

For me, I'd like to see a nice touch MMO (Guild Wars'ish) or something like that. Boardgames would be great on this (think Senet, Backgammon, Chess). I hate the idea of a FPS with virtual sticks but this device will be great for other types of games, IMO :)

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Hmm. Take video footage of an iPod touch playing an FPS game. Zoom to 400% while watching.

Is that what we just saw? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.