Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shez

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Did you take the iphone to the genius bar or called apple directly? I am experiencing the same issue and want to swap it out for a replacement.

They're sending me an advanced replacement from the Apple online store. Brand new model. Should be here in a week or so.

shez

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
We already have a full blown hissing thread. I created this one strictly to speak about peoples luck with replacements so let's stick to the topic :)

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have hissing when I put it up my ear when doing video editing etc. Otherwise I don't hear anything including when recording video. I get static when recording in a silent room but my iPad does the same thing.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Lucky you, Im not that sensitive guy complaining about anything. I had no problems with 5/6/6s. If the phone was only hissing I would accept that. But everytime that hissing noise is recorded on video and its really easy to hear. Ill upload some video later as I have no time to convert it. Standard format cannot be uploaded here :/
[doublepost=1476343084][/doublepost]
The case is not that simple if you buy an iphone from other electronics retailer than directly from apple. Ive already contacted with them. They said Ill get new one, but this will be a version w/o the box. Ofc I will have the box of my current device but it will have different serial numbers than my new replaced device. I dont like that idea.
Full replacement can be made only if I bought it with shipment option. And unfortunatelly I hit this shop the first day iphone 7 was offered there.
The 7 is so new, surely it's within 90 days, or normal consumer protection. Regardless where you buy it?
Yeah, make sure you get a 'new' phone and not a refurbished model.
If only we were rich enough to just spend money on apple.com directly, rather than having to go through these terrible telecom providers.

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
The 7 is so new, surely it's within 90 days, or normal consumer protection. Regardless where you buy it?
Yeah, make sure you get a 'new' phone and not a refurbished model.
If only we were rich enough to just spend money on apple.com directly, rather than having to go through these terrible telecom providers.

Its from Mediamarkt, not sure but I guess its only EU retailer. Yep, refurbished thats what Im affraid of... Its like no way to check it, when it comes without box. If they say its new you just simply trust them. But after a year when you resell it to someone, lets say the client will definitely check the serial number with this 'new' model and for him/her its obvious thats the refurbished model. Thats what Im concerned about. Im a bit dissapointed they cannot give me just boxed never opened model.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Its from Mediamarkt, not sure but I guess its only EU retailer. Yep, refurbished thats what Im affraid of... Its like no way to check it, when it comes without box. If they say its new you just simply trust them. But after a year when you resell it to someone, lets say the client will definitely check the serial number with this 'new' model and for him/her its obvious thats the refurbished model. Thats what Im concerned about. Im a bit dissapointed they cannot give me just boxed never opened model.

Go to apple and replace it for a referbished model if you are not happy. I've sold lots of phones and not once has someone checked the serial. And if they do just explain the situation. Everyone know now a days how apples warranty works. And also a referbished phone is not something they took from the dumpster and into a box. It goes through the same tests as a new phone. The shell and battery is usually new.

Reactions: danny8200

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Go to apple and replace it for a referbished model if you are not happy. I've sold lots of phones and not once has someone checked the serial. And if they do just explain the situation. Everyone know now a days how apples warranty works. And also a referbished phone is not something they took from the dumpster and into a box. It goes through the same tests as a new phone. The shell and battery is usually new.
Yep, Im guessing my story will end up like this. Anyway thanks :)

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
Funny thing is.. I hear it while video recording FROM the video.. BUT can't hear it when I RECORD and PLACE it near my
Ear on the back...

It's so strange was my first replacement... the second one had coil noise etc..

Oh and my
Jet black plus has the irregularity like the paint machine skipped a few fills on the edges in certain light :0

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Funny thing is.. I hear it while video recording FROM the video.. BUT can't hear it when I RECORD and PLACE it near my
Ear on the back...

Pretty sure it's not hissing then on this phone. There is talk of the Mics being really sensitive.

Last edited:

laytonoid

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
Unfortunately my wife's phone had hissing/crackling coming from the back of the phone. We have an Apple Store about half hour away so we went into there to get a replacement. Her phone is the iPhone 7+ 32GB Rose Gold. We went in and the Apple Store tech support check in guy pretended like he had never heard of this. Maybe he hadn't, I don't know. So we went and sat down with a helper guy and he also had "never heard of this before". He also seemed quite fake. I want you to know, I have owned 3 different iPad's and 6, 6+, 6S+, and now 7+ and only the 7+ has this noise.

Anyways, the Apple tech guy went to the back room and had to call Apple tech support because he didn't know what to do. Apparently its an "emerging issue" he said but Apple has no instructions on what to do with it yet. So he just replaced her phone. Well, the new one, albeit slightly quieter, has the same issue!

Also while in the Apple Store waiting for the guy when he was in the backroom I went and listened to a couple iPhones on the display. It wasn't very busy so it was quiet enough and I heard it on a few of the 7's and more of the 7+'s but not all of them. Some were pretty loud too since I was in a store mind you and I couldn't hear my wife's so that pretty loud. I thought hers was loud but man.. In addition, I asked a person next to me, who I saw had a 7+, who was getting his macbook fixed or something, if he had any noises but he said he had a slight sound but not very loud so he didn't think anything of it.

I get my matte black 7+ 128gb on Monday. I guess we will see what that about.

fre3way

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
I'm chatting with them right now working on getting a replacement mailed to me.

Was it a new replacement?

I was told to take my iPhone to the closest apple store. How were you able to request a replacement over chat? Did you ask for a replacement directly or wait for them to offer it?

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Was it a new replacement?

I was told to take my iPhone to the closest apple store. How were you able to request a replacement over chat? Did you ask for a replacement directly or wait for them to offer it?

I ended up going to the Apple Store and got a replacement that still has the issue. I'm tempted to return it and go get a Google Pixel XL.

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I ended up going to the Apple Store and got a replacement that still has the issue. I'm tempted to return it and go get a Google Pixel XL.

LOL This is exactly what I could end up doing. I haven't decided to try to replace this first 7+.

Came to this thread to see if experiences of replacements are the same. So far it's 50/50 in here?

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Right now, I am debating just staying with iPhone 6s Plus or Pixel XL... the iPhone 7 plus just doesn't check enough boxes to warrant the upgrade for me yet. The forums talking about this hissing and creaking are enough for me to stay away from this iteration.

Jtradar

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Randolph Mass
I had Apple care for my iPhone 6 had phone replaced a few times over 2 years. Each phone was replaced with brand new phone. Tech said Apple doesn't bother with the phones that they swapped out they sell them to 3rd party. Hope this helps.

ajscorpio69

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
SF Bay Area
Need to chime in. I took a chance and decided to swap out my Jet Black 7 for Jet Black 7 Plus last night at the Apple Store. I knew I was risking the LTE issue and hissing. My unit is from week 41 (10/10-10/16). I can confirm that I have no LTE issues (iOS 10.0.2 & VZ Carrier 25.1) and no hissing. Phone is silent and works as it should. Either I got really lucky, or the problem was fixed behind closed doors. Looking very promising for others.

ajscorpio69

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
SF Bay Area
Or you can't hear frequencies in the range of the hissing.
My previous 7 Plus hissed and crackled. I've put my ear to the back camera lens several times, including during a speed test. Silent. It is possible that there are frequencies I cannot hear, but if I can't hear them, there's no issue. Lol.

Reactions: JulesJam

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My brothers not a tech person or an enthusiast. Yet the loud hissing of his phone was very annoying. Especially since he has acute hearing. Now on his third replacement, it seems that the majority of phones do it, so he's got his listed on eBay and a few others so as to sell it and switch back to Android.

TheNewToMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hey

Received my iPhone 7+ and everything works fine but it's hissing. I don't mind the hissing but when I'm recording video the hissing takes over the audio 80% - which renders the video recording function of the device useless.

Apple are now sending me a replacement out and I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with replacement devices?

Thanks

No luck for me. I am on my 3rd replacement and my phone is still hissing. What's even worse is that the replacement that just arrived to me last night was hissing louder. :( I am already frustrated. Any idea if this is only for the Matte Black iPhone? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.