Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
My beloved 2010 Mac Pro may be nearing the end it's usefulness without being able to update apps that I use and depend on. In the last day, two apps indicated that their latest versions won't update with one of them indicating that my OS was out of date (High Sierra). What, if anything, can be done to remedy this problem?

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Thanks for that suggestion. I am concerned that this maneuver exceeds my technical skill level. I already spend way too much time troubleshooting the easy stuff.

What are your thoughts regarding planned obsolescence by Apple, and what is the general consensus among the tech-smart community? Is my Mac Pro 2010 so antiquated that the Apple couldn't write an OS update? I understand the M1 and M2 chips may inhibit updating in that arena, however, if Apple wanted to keep these legacy machines working, it seems that could be done, or am I wrong about that?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What are your thoughts regarding planned obsolescence by Apple, and what is the general consensus among the tech-smart community? Is my Mac Pro 2010 so antiquated that the Apple couldn't write an OS update? I understand the M1 and M2 chips may inhibit updating in that arena, however, if Apple wanted to keep these legacy machines working, it seems that could be done, or am I wrong about that?
I think the fact that the OCLP project even exists answers your questions.

Reactions: Queen6

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for that suggestion. I am concerned that this maneuver exceeds my technical skill level. I already spend way too much time troubleshooting the easy stuff.

I also have a Mac Pro like yours. But come on, it's 13 years old :) I realize functionally it's just fine, but security updates are a whack-a-mole and these old Intels just can't be patched.

In your case, I don't recommend pursuing OCLP. You might actually need some hardware updates to get it running, and it can be very finicky to get OCLP to work correctly, and there's a learning curve. Fine to play with if this was not your primary machine.

Get a M1/M2 Mac mini and marvel at the progress of Apple Silicon.

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
I also have a Mac Pro like yours. But come on, it's 13 years old :) I realize functionally it's just fine, but security updates are a whack-a-mole and these old Intels just can't be patched.

In your case, I don't recommend pursuing OCLP. You might actually need some hardware updates to get it running, and it can be very finicky to get OCLP to work correctly, and there's a learning curve. Fine to play with if this was not your primary machine.

Get a M1/M2 Mac mini and marvel at the progress of Apple Silicon.
Just saw your post.

I haven't considered the Mac mini M1/M2.

I also have an older MacBook Pro (2013) maxing out on OS Catalina. I am considering upgrading my MbP to an M1 or M2 MacBook Pro. Currently I use my MbPro and Mac Pro set up on my desk and have an additional monitor for each, so a total of 4 display screens. My understanding is only one additional monitor can be connected to MacBook Pro. Is there a way of connecting perhaps 2 or 3 monitor displays to an M1 or M2 Macbook Pro or Mac Mini?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Is there a way of connecting perhaps 2 or 3 monitor displays to an M1 or M2 Macbook Pro or Mac Mini?
Depends on the model.

All Apple Silicon Macbook Pros and minis support two displays. If you get a MacBook Pro or mini with the M2 "Pro" chip, it can support 3 displays.

Use this site to get a complete confirmation of my summary above, because there can be minor differences depending on resolution and chipset. https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

Reactions: warbler

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
My understanding is only one additional monitor can be connected to MacBook Pro. Is there a way of connecting perhaps 2 or 3 monitor displays to an M1 or M2 Macbook Pro or Mac Mini?
The M1/M2 13" MBP only supports a single external display connected via USB-C... but you can get around that with a combo of software (DisplayLink) and hardware (USB docks). The M1/M2 Mac mini can support two displays - one using TB/USB port and the other using the HDMI port. Any M1/M2 Pro or Max Mac can support multiple external displays.

Reactions: warbler

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
The M1/M2 13" MBP only supports a single external display connected via USB-C... but you can get around that with a combo of software (DisplayLink) and hardware (USB docks). The M1/M2 Mac mini can support two displays - one using TB/USB port and the other using the HDMI port. Any M1/M2 Pro or Max Mac can support multiple external displays.
Good catch, I practically forgot about the 13" M1/M2 MBP only supporting a single external display. I guess it's gonna die come Monday anyways :)

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Wow, that's good to know!

I checked out Apple offerings. They aren't offering the M1 MacBook Pro anymore. 13" M2 starts at $1299 and 14" M2 Pro starts at $1999. A 13" M1 will work fine for my needs, so I will probably need to buy one second hand.

Using DisplayLink and USB dock, what is the configuration to connect my displays? I have one new monitor with a mini HDMI and USB-C, but my other monitors are older. They have the regular Display Port connections.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate your help!

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Good catch, I practically forgot about the 13" M1/M2 MBP only supporting a single external display. I guess it's gonna die come Monday anyways :)
Finding out that I can add two, maybe three displays to a 13" M1 MbPro using DisplayLink and a USB dock is really awesome. However, there is a cloud overhead. What did you mean by, "I guess it's gonna die come Monday anyways :) ." ?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Finding out that I can add two, maybe three displays to a 13" M1 MbPro using DisplayLink and a USB dock is really awesome. However, there is a cloud overhead. What did you mean by, "I guess it's gonna die come Monday anyways :) ." ?
The M1/M2 13” MBP models are generally considered to be the worst of the Apple Silicon lineup, mainly due to their relative price-to-performance ratio and dated design. And I never have good luck with USB-C virtual displays. Go for native 3-display support if possible.

As for Monday: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/27/m3-13-inch-macbook-pro-unlikely-to-be-at-event/

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
My beloved 2010 Mac Pro may be nearing the end it's usefulness without being able to update apps that I use and depend on. In the last day, two apps indicated that their latest versions won't update with one of them indicating that my OS was out of date (High Sierra). What, if anything, can be done to remedy this problem?
Drama. Drama. Stop that. First, do the apps you use absolutely 100% need to bee updated otherwise the functions you use most disappear by magic? Does you Pro 2010 is slowing your workflow cause it's now losing speed and precision in executing the tasks you ask. If so, how long do these tasks take longer? Opening a 10 G file now takes 1,3 minute instead of 1,1 ? C'mon you know the answer. Guess: you use Adobe Lightroom. What is it exactly that the last version of Lightroom on your Pro now refuses to do? You talk of HS and your machine like they were sick (remedy this problem). I'm not against any update and upgrade. But do you need to upgrade a fine machine that is in no way a slouch? Have you maxed out the memory? Upgrade to external SSD. The real questions are: do you need a more powerful machine? What will a 2023 app do more than the app you have on your Pro?

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
It's really easy these days to upgrade your Mac OS through Opencore Legacy Patcher (OCLP). There is a wizard that takes you through the process. Perhaps just watch a how-to video on Youtube first and it will be a breezer.

I have done it on 6 Macs in my family (2 non-Metal and 4 Metal). In fact I'm writing this on an iMac 27 mid 2011 non-metal GPU model running on Sonoma 14.1.1 thanks to OCLP 1.2.1.

OK some things are not working, not Apple Maps and Find My since they are dependent on Metal. iMovie have troubles as well.

Right now on my iMac running Sonoma, Apple TV app can only run trailers. If I start an actual stream it crashes. Apple Photos can show thumbnails, but when you select a thumbnail to view the actual photo, the app shows an empty app window with the actual photo missing. These two problems are somewhat likely that the OCLP team will iron out in a later release.

Anyhow the rest works well. I can run the latest iWork apps. Safari and Mail are updated as well as all the nice features in the UI. I can get updated versions of my favorite apps. App Store works nicely.

If you upgrade a Mac from 2012 and onward their GPU's are Metal supported meaning you get full functionality with OCLP. E.g. Apple Maps, Find My, iMovie, etc. will work.

Since OCLP is stable, works well and is upgradeable, what is there to wait for? It's not complicated. You can upgrade your current High Sierra OS without a clean install (I did that). Just make a backup and try it.

Last edited:

warbler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Drama. Drama. Stop that. First, do the apps you use absolutely 100% need to bee updated otherwise the functions you use most disappear by magic? Does you Pro 2010 is slowing your workflow cause it's now losing speed and precision in executing the tasks you ask. If so, how long do these tasks take longer? Opening a 10 G file now takes 1,3 minute instead of 1,1 ? C'mon you know the answer. Guess: you use Adobe Lightroom. What is it exactly that the last version of Lightroom on your Pro now refuses to do? You talk of HS and your machine like they were sick (remedy this problem). I'm not against any update and upgrade. But do you need to upgrade a fine machine that is in no way a slouch? Have you maxed out the memory? Upgrade to external SSD. The real questions are: do you need a more powerful machine? What will a 2023 app do more than the app you have on your Pro?
My Mac Pro mostly works very well. It's been a long time since I have been able to update the OS. Lately a couple of apps that I use regularly won't update because the OS is way out of date. They both have web based apps which work well, but I am still able to use the apps that will not update. I'm not in any rush to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.