Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
jared_kipe said:
Mine, as you can see, is a littleeee more complex than that. And I can use aperture control. I'll be updating that page soon to include my newer Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro in the reverse mount. I hope I don't have to rewire it, I didn't design it for such a massive lens (I already got the step down rings from 82mm filter threads to 58mm}

Holy Cow! Erm, yes, I would say that your approach is very much more complex than simply connecting two lenses together with a reversing adapter ring. Whooooo!

VERY interesting!

(I think I'll stick to just using my macro lenses in the way in which they were designed....)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
jared_kipe said:
Only slightly fun, everything I've read about f1.2 and f1.0 lenses (barring the Canon 85mm f1.2) has said that they are not very sharp or useable, and that the money should be saved and just buy a 1.4.

Well, since I've already got the f/1.4, this would just be going a bit further.... And, yes, one would need to be somewhat careful and selective when using any f/1.2 or f/1.0 lens because of the depth-of-field issues and the focusing issues.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Clix Pix said:
Well, since I've already got the f/1.4, this would just be going a bit further.... And, yes, one would need to be somewhat careful and selective when using any f/1.2 or f/1.0 lens because of the depth-of-field issues and the focusing issues.
No I mean their optical qualities not being so good. Besides how many stops is 1.2 or 1.0 over 1.4?

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Canon 50mm f/1.8 for me, too.

shallow-leaf.jpg

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
monkeydo_jb said:
Canon 50mm f/1.8 for me, too.

<leaf pic>

Great composition and tones, but more DOF would have made it perfect. This is kinda going against the stream in this thread, but what the hell!

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
whocares said:
Great composition and tones, but more DOF would have made it perfect. This is kinda going against the stream in this thread, but what the hell!

Thanks for the comment! I agree about slightly more DOF to get the whole leaf in focus. The 2.5" LCD on the new 30D might have helped... (for reviewing)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I've been wanting a fast prime for some time now, and because of this thread restirring my need to have one (lol) I just ordered a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D from bhphoto.

I'll have it for the weekend to test it out, and I'll be posting some pics soon :D :D :D :D

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
kjr39 said:
Canon 50 f/1.4
Canon 35 f/2.0
Tamron 28-75 f/2.0

a few that stop at 4.0

Tamron 28-75 f2.0?? improbable. That would be awesome though, it would be the fastest normal zoom ever.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
JDar said:
Your old/new fastest lens is also my fastest lens, sitting unused somewhere. I also have a 35 mm f/2 wide angle which was quite nice in its time, and a 135 f/2.8.

I think these old F series lenses won't fit properly onto the newer bodies with all the AF and AE stuff that's been added, at least without modification if that's possible. Anyone know?

I apologize if this has been anwered earlier in the thread. Nikon AI lenses (the old kind with auto indexing, ie: those that you can read the aperture in your view finder) work with only a limited number of digital bodies, the cheapest being the D200. The lenses will work (mount) on all Nikon bodies but you will not be able to use the exposure meter (get a light reading) with a D50/70/100. In all cases they will always be manual focus. I also have a Nikkor 50 mm 1.4 but someone in another thread had mentioned having a 1.2 :rolleyes: That must be fast! I have heard that there might be a cheaper version of the D200 (rumored) so I am hoping I will be able to get a digital body that will work with my old Nikkor lenses since I have loads. However, to this day, I think film is better for low light situations and my F3 with a Coolpix V scanner will beat any digital pro camera, provided you know how to use it ;)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Here's a shot of one of my fam's cats with my 50mm 1.8 - has a pretty narrow DOF. Love that lens!

It maybe hard to tell in the small jpg though.

kitty.jpg

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
couldn't find a reversing ring locally (or in austin) and i needed it for this weekend...o well

i might not end up ordering it, cause i only needed it briefly (for photographing some coins for a science project)

boyd's camera has a used 49mm reversing ring i think. any way to make this work? :eek:

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
jared_kipe said:
No I mean their optical qualities not being so good. Besides how many stops is 1.2 or 1.0 over 1.4?

Very-wide aperture lenses often exhibit more obvious vignetting (edge darkening) because of the optical effect of light rays having to travel further to the focal plane the further away they are from the optical axis. Also, their minimum aperture is usually less wide (typically only stopping down to f16) since smaller apertures often introduce diffraction (seen as a softening and drop in image contrast). That's maybe what you meant about wide-barrel lenses having lower optical qualities.

That said, at 'normal' apertures (from maybe f2.8 to about f11) the quality of wide-barrel lenses is just about as good as from anything else.

f1.2 is half a stop wider than f1.4. f1.0 is a stop wider than f1.4. FYI f-numbers increase/decrease by a factor of the square-root of 2 (with a little rounding-up to keep things sane).

I used to have a Leica M4-P with a Noctilux 50mm f1.0. It weighed an absolute ton and focussing at f1.0 was like Russian roulette (lens theory tells you that at f1.0 a subject 6ft away gives you depth-of-field of a little over an inch!). Vignetting at full-bore dropped the image edges down by (at a guess) a couple of stops. However, stop down to f5.6/f6.7 and the image was awesome. That lens was a beauty.

(time to take off the rose-tinted specs....;) )

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
WOW! I am very impressed with the Nikkor 1.4D.

I just opened it out of the box less than an hour ago, and have had limited time to use it, but I'm happy so far :D

Here's a snap from outback.

Attachments

• Hinge.jpg
    Hinge.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 143

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
jared_kipe said:
Tamron 28-75 f2.0?? improbable. That would be awesome though, it would be the fastest normal zoom ever.

Oops! Typo. Should be 2.8...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Josh said:
WOW! I am very impressed with the Nikkor 1.4D.

I just opened it out of the box less than an hour ago, and have had limited time to use it, but I'm happy so far :D

Here's a snap from outback.

Schweet. :D

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
My lens with the greatest depth of field would be my 70-200 f2.8 all the way through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.