Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hartleymartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Can anyone please recommend a way of setting up a home mac-cluster? I am aware that X-Grid was used for a while with X-Serve and the like, but this was discontinued several OSX versions ago.

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (8-cores @ 3.0GHz) and a Mac Pro 1,1 (going to be upgraded to 2,1) and I would like to experiment with networking these and a few other macs (MacMini G4, PowerMac G5, a couple of laptops) into a cluster to see what I would get.

I have no particular purpose for it, I would just like to see how it is set-up and what the possibilities are. Perhaps I'll write a program to find prime numbers and see how many it can find in an hour on a cluster computer?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Can anyone please recommend a way of setting up a home mac-cluster? I am aware that X-Grid was used for a while with X-Serve and the like, but this was discontinued several OSX versions ago.

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (8-cores @ 3.0GHz) and a Mac Pro 1,1 (going to be upgraded to 2,1) and I would like to experiment with networking these and a few other macs (MacMini G4, PowerMac G5, a couple of laptops) into a cluster to see what I would get.

I have no particular purpose for it, I would just like to see how it is set-up and what the possibilities are. Perhaps I'll write a program to find prime numbers and see how many it can find in an hour on a cluster computer?
now I'm interested too. I'd look into RNN stuff.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
distributed.net has clients that would work on your diverse cluster. set up one with a shared folder, run the other clients out of it to share the work files.

Also, there used to be software called pooch iirc, that would use a cluster and quicktime to speed up encodes and such.

spiffers

Suspended
Apr 12, 2009
You could run VMWare ESXi cluster, and then virtualise VMs on top of the cluster. Its great for failsafe and redundancy.

Daniel Santos

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Portugal
I have four classic mac pros, networked toghether. They are not a cluster per-se, but they hold a set of linux virtual machines running CentOs 7. The whole setup is a web application that has load balancing on the web, cache, and database layers across three mac pro's.

The remaining mac pro accepts connections from the internet. It then loadbalances to three VMs with the webapplication. Each web application server in turn connects to load balanced memcache and cassandra VMs

The VMs run on Virtual Box and Vagrant. For software configuration of the VMs I use Puppet, with the master running on a VM in the less powerful macpro (the 3.1).

All the mac pro's are connected to a Gigabit ethernet switch, where the internet router is also connected.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
You could run VMWare ESXi cluster, and then virtualise VMs on top of the cluster. Its great for failsafe and redundancy.

I have a small cluster of mac mini G4's that used to be for distributed compiling. Would they work for any of the newer VM software?

What about a software RAID setup? Each mini has a 80GB disk, so it could be nice to use the combined space as a backup RAID.

oqesyq.jpg

Reactions: octoviaa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.