Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Hi all,

I have not found any dedicated thread about this so I would like to share my concern. I swaped my iPhone 8 Plus with an iPhone 12PM. I believe my Home Screen used to rotate and landscape mode but it does not anymore. It is still the case on my iPhone 8 Plus.

Yes I have checked the control center and the rotation is activated, yes I do not have any widget installed but only 4 folders with my apps.

Both iPhone 8 Plus and 12 PM have 14.2.1 installed. Video attached.

Thanks
X

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Apple removed Home Screen rotation on the Max iPhones for some reason. The 8+ was the last iPhone with a rotating Home Screen.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Apple removed Home Screen rotation on the Max iPhones for some reason. The 8+ was the last iPhone with a rotating Home Screen.
Thanks for this is. I did not know that and this is really regrettable/upsetting. This was one of the reason I bought the max version, not the only reason by far but it was part of it.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Thanks for this is. I did not know that and this is really regrettable/upsetting. This was one of the reason I bought the max version, not the only reason by far but it was part of it.
Yeah I honestly don’t know why every iPhone doesn’t have the landscape Home Screen. It’s always so jarring to be using an app in landscape and then suddenly have to switch to portrait if you go home. Widgets would have been tough to implement with a rotating Home Screen though so maybe that’s why the feature was removed.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Yeah I honestly don’t know why every iPhone doesn’t have the landscape Home Screen. It’s always so jarring to be using an app in landscape and then suddenly have to switch to portrait if you go home. Widgets would have been tough to implement with a rotating Home Screen though so maybe that’s why the feature was removed.
Agreed. At least they should give us a choice. If no widget = you can rotate. Like on my 8+

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Man I absolutely HATE Home Screen rotation on my 8+. Glad to hear it’s been abandoned! Would be ok if it was implemented like on the iPad, where the icons don’t all change positions, otherwise it’s useless.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Man I absolutely HATE Home Screen rotation on my 8+. Glad to hear it’s been abandoned! Would be ok if it was implemented like on the iPad, where the icons don’t all change positions, otherwise it’s useless.
If you hated it, it is fine, but you had the choice using it or not. It is not the case anymore for those who liked this option.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
If you hated it is fine but you had the choice using it or not. It is not the case anymore for those who liked this option.
No choice at all. If you wanted screen rotation on, you had to have home screen rotation. It’s the same as you’re all talking about, but the opposite.

cocoapods

Canceled
Sep 30, 2021
Probably because the iPhones with a notch have an asymmetric screen, swiping across pages in landscape mode would just look horrendous with some apps in the same row disappearing into the notch, and others still being visible on the top and the bottom. That’s just me guessing though.

Last edited:

walnawk

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
So the Apple team provided Godzillions extra options/feature for everything you can think of and beyond, and they took away the home screen rotation option. That makes sense.

Reactions: turnedwand

turnedwand

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
So the Apple team provided Godzillions extra options/feature for everything you can think of and beyond, and they took away the home screen rotation option. That makes sense.
Uhh yea..

Is this your first time with an Apple product? Ever heard of “iTunes”? The once greatest-of-all-time file management software? Well it’s called “Music” now and the only reason it doesn’t completely suck is that Apple reappropriated their own IP from Spotify after Spotify borrowed it since Apple had decided to stop using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.