Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I have a 2018 i7 mini, and I have had to be careful about where I put external SSDs, because apparently some can, if they're too close to the mini, can interfere with BlueTooth.

• Haha
Reactions: circatee

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I have a 2018 i7 mini, and I have had to be careful about where I put external SSDs, because apparently some can, if they're too close to the mini, can interfere with BlueTooth.
Do you mean the main unit has to be far away from the SSD? Or is the cable itself an issue?

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Do you mean the main unit has to be far away from the SSD? Or is the cable itself an issue?
I've got a cable going to a SATA III SSD in an external enclosure. For whatever reason, setting it adjacent to my mini caused BlueTooth problems, but stretching it out so it's about 18 inches away cured it. I don't know if the SSD, the enclosure, or the cable is the culprit, and I stopped investigating once I had a working solution.

Now, why the haha, circatee?

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I've got a cable going to a SATA III SSD in an external enclosure. For whatever reason, setting it adjacent to my mini caused BlueTooth problems, but stretching it out so it's about 18 inches away cured it. I don't know if the SSD, the enclosure, or the cable is the culprit, and I stopped investigating once I had a working solution.

Now, why the haha, circatee?
Because I have been there! I was doing all sorts to get Bluetooth and such to work correctly. Oddly, I saw someone mention something similar about 'things' being within range of the MM.

Also, I will add, during the setup phase of the MM, I had a cheap wired keyboard and mouse, along with a 24" monitor.
That MM worked flawlessly during the setup process.

Now, once I switched to my main setup, i.e. a Samsung 49" via HDMI, Logitech MX Key and MX Master 3, plus installing Microsoft 365 suite, and a few other needed apps, then things seemed to start to not be as fluid...

Reactions: tubular

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
This won't stop me from going to the next Mac mini update, though, even if it's the same problem.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
What I find 'funny' is this, Apple has more than likely sold quite a few, maybe in the hundreds of thousands, of Mac Mini M1's, and surely for most customers, it just works.

For those said customers, I would love to know their setups, and experience with the Mac Mini M1 unit.

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
What I find 'funny' is this, Apple has more than likely sold quite a few, maybe in the hundreds of thousands, of Mac Mini M1's, and surely for most customers, it just works.

For those said customers, I would love to know their setups, and experience with the Mac Mini M1 unit.
I am hoping mine just works when it arrives late next week.

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
Ended up returning mine for the exact same reasons as the OP. Bluetooth connectivity was frustrating. I also have the MX Keys mouse and keyboard and every time the Mac Mini went to sleep, my peripherals disconnected and I had to plug in an old magic keyboard just to enter my password.

Tired of having to jimmy-rig this thing in order for it to work as expected.

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
I have a 2018 Intel Mac Mini that’s rock-solid right now.

Used to have Bluetooth issues, but since I moved it from under my monitor, in front of my keyboard & mouse, to a mount under the desk, I’ve had no problems at all.

I think the distance solved the problem. Plus my desk is without the tangle of cables.
IMHO its the placement of devices near the Mac. Always hated wireless devices..interference with signal. Just my experiences.

colinsky

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009

I've had my 16/512 m1 Mini for a month now, and so far it just works. 5K LG Ultrafine central monitor with two Dell 2560x1440 monitors. LG is connected via Thunderbolt; one Dell via HDMI, the other via USB with a Startech adaptor.

About twice a week I get the pixel displacement on the LG 5K, but putting the Mini to sleep for two seconds has always fixed it so far.

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
I've had my 16/512 m1 Mini for a month now, and so far it just works. 5K LG Ultrafine central monitor with two Dell 2560x1440 monitors. LG is connected via Thunderbolt; one Dell via HDMI, the other via USB with a Startech adaptor.

About twice a week I get the pixel displacement on the LG 5K, but putting the Mini to sleep for two seconds has always fixed it so far.
Sleep as in "Hot Corner"? About to buy a monitor with least of problems other users in MacRumours Forum have incurred. LG brand seems seems to have probs. Leaning towards 27" Samsung? Want all possible ports. Input from fellow forum members would be apppreciated. Not bad mouthing on LG.
TIA

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Ended up returning mine for the exact same reasons as the OP. Bluetooth connectivity was frustrating. I also have the MX Keys mouse and keyboard and every time the Mac Mini went to sleep, my peripherals disconnected and I had to plug in an old magic keyboard just to enter my password.

Tired of having to jimmy-rig this thing in order for it to work as expected.
I totally hear you. I will confess, I was sort of determined to get the Mac Mini to work properly.
Based on multiple conversations and forum research, I even tried a MacBook Pro M1. For my particular use, not for me. Even more so, since I would need to purchase a CalDigit dock to 'make it all work correctly' as a daily work from home/desk setup.

No, just no. Those CalDigit docks are expensive. See my latest thread, here:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.