Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition Quick and Dirty
(Includes Frozen Wilds)

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-4K-1-1920x1080.jpg

Updates:
  • 6Jul21- Updated reorganized guide.

Sections:
  • Links
  • Skills
  • Consumbables
  • Controls
  • Terms/Game Mechanics
  • Getting Started Tips
  • Weapons
  • Quest Notes
  • Hunting
  • Hunting Ground Quests
  • Armor/Outfits
  • Skill Builds
  • My Build
  • Potions
  • Craftables

Links:

Skills

Consumables
Controls
Stated online: While the game is probably best experienced with a controller, it’s very much playable with a mouse and keyboard as well. The PC controls are fairly intuitive, and here’s a list of all the default key bindings:

WASD: Movement
Mouse: Camera
Caps: Toggle walk/run
• Left Shift: Sprint
• C: Slide/toggle crouch
• Spacebar: Jump
• Left Ctrl: Dodge Roll/Slow Mount
• E: Interact/quick save
• V: Focus Mode toggle
• In Focus, Left click: Tag target
Q: Use medicine pouch
F: Use selected tool/trap
K- Skills
O- Crafting
Z: Cycle tools left
X: Cycle tools right
H: Show HUD and objectives (hold)
G: Manual save
1234: Fast equip weapons
Left click: Light melee
Left Shift + left click: Heavy melee
Right click: Aim weapon (hold)
Left click: Fire weapon (while aiming)
R: Reload (while aiming)
Left shift: Concentration (while aiming)
Tab: Weapon wheel (hold)
Enter: Open menu
Esc: Pause menu
Slide: Sprint + C

Terms/Game Mechanics
• Machine Repair-
https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Machine_Repair The Machine Repair skill allows Aloy to quickly repair any overridden machine that has been damaged using metal shards. A repair prompt will appear when Aloy nears any damaged machine that she controls. The repair process can be stopped at any time by letting go of the square button.
Machine repairs cost 10 metal shards per 12 health points. The ratio is greatly improved by purchasing the Mount Repair+ skill, which applies to all overridden machines, not just mounts as the name implies. With Mount Repair+, machine repairs cost 5 metal shards per 24 health points.[1]
• Override-https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Override is the ability to control machines. While an overridden machine cannot be commanded per se, overriding turns a machine from its default state of hostility toward any human to a state of combat friendliness toward the human who overrode it, in that instead of attacking the overrider, it will attack other machines or humans that attack the overrider. Overridden machines are identified by blue tendrils that sprout around their neck and head region, presumably generated by a form of nanotechnology.
• Salvaging parts from overridden machines, if you kill them it does not look like you get any parts.

Getting Started Tips
Note about Meats- You can get any kind of meat, Boney Meat, Rich Meat, and Fat Meat off any animal.
Ruins- Check them out. Bunker with Ancient Armor, pool where you jump in, there are rock ledges to jump/climb out;
Fast Travel- You need Travel Packs (crafted) and a camp fire. https://primagames.com/tips/horizon-zero-dawn-how-fast-travel
Melee vs Ranged Weapons- Early in the game, you maybe hesitant to use melee against Watchers and Blazers. Don’t, if you can get next to them quickly they can be taken down with heavy Melee attacks (LMB+ Shift). Scrapers are tougher, but if you can sneak up and rush them, they will fall too. Certain skills are handy for melee attacks. Silent Strike (Prowler)- Sneak up and melee, Concentration (Brave), Critical Hit (Brave L1), Precision (Brave L1). Make use of you evade key (LShift), you can avoid a lot of in bound damage with it, and strike back with your spear, which is relatively powerful compared to your bow. However with stealth and undiscovered, you bow becomes quite lethal if you shoot in the right spot.
Concentration (Slows Time- Left shift: while aiming)) and your Focus Ability is invaluable for hunting. You can see all living creatures around you that are normally hidden, and Concentration allows you to shoot them when they are moving/fleeing. You are frequently used to use your focus to track people/animal’s steps. Use Focus V and then G to track when the menu offers G.
When you go to the proving, you can buy outfits. It pays off to stock yourself up beforehand, and upgrade weapons and carry pouches in advance.
Proving Ground- At the Proving pick up all the loot you can.
Focus- Use Focus to spot tracks.

Weapons
• Beat every Machine:
https://www.polygon.com/horizon-zer...hbringer-tallneck-corrupted-machines-cauldron
• Best Weapons in Game: https://gametransfers.com/horizon-z...-build-and-get-the-best-weapons-in-this-game/
Tripcaster:https://nexgengame.com/horizon-zero-dawn-how-to-use-the-tripcaster/
Tear- Weapon quality that enables items to be
Spear- Weapon D35, Tear 26.
• Carja Hunter Bow (value 50, costs more to buy), Handling 92, 2 Mods Addedamage Coil 26%, Handling Coil 15%.

- Hunter Arrow D15, Tear 25
- Fire Arrow D12, Fire 25. (Need Blaze)
-Freeze Arrow: Fired from Warbow. https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Freeze_Arrow

• Sharpshot Bow (Value 25, costs more to buy), Handling 20, 1 Mod: 10% Damage Coil, Precision Arrow D60, Tear 30.
Tripcaster (Value 25, costs more to buy), Handling 30, Shock 184, 1 Mod 15% Shock Coil. Used to shock machines debilitating them for a period of time.
Ropecaster- (75 to buy, Value 25) Handling 50, 150 tear, 1 Mod 14% Tear Coil (total tear 171). Used to debilitate machines buy tieing them up?

Quests
Quests Notes

In Her Mother’s Footsteps- Help get her spear back and get spear damage boost 1.
• The Forgotten, there is a climb point near the top of the rock pile, but you can’t climb there. Move to the right by some roots on the side of the rocks and you can jump up there.

Hunting

How to learn to override Machines-
Find a Cauldron. When you make it to Mother’s Heart, there will be a woman there with a scare on her face who will tell you about them and warn you to stay away.. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/20...dawn-how-to-override-machines-and-ride-mounts
• Beat every Machine: https://www.polygon.com/horizon-zer...hbringer-tallneck-corrupted-machines-cauldron
• Grazer- Target the blaze canisters on their back with flame arrows. For added fun, hit multiple blaze canisters on multiple grazers for an impressive fireworks show. If there are any left standing after the explosions, target the tips of their antlers to deal a lot of damage.
Trip Caster shock wire- Don’t use a trip caster on a Shellback, their shield will protect them.
Elemental Arrows- Shoot Elemental arrows at machines that are weak against that element until they top off and they are for example frozen.

Hunting Ground Quests
Nora Hunting Ground Trials-
https://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-zero-dawn/Hunting_Grounds
Make sure you activate the individual quests, Make sure you wear stealth outfit., timing starts when you slide down the rope.
-The Log Pile quest is easy. Slide down the rope to the herd of grasers by the river. Lob a bomb to the far side of them, and when the first one runs by, shoot the nearest log pile. I killed 3 grasers.
-The Parts Quest is easy if you buy a Carja Sharpshot Bow, and Tear Blast Arrows from the merchant by where the Hunter gives the quests. Each Tear Blast arrow, sends out a shock wave that knocks off 3 items from each graser. ----Blast Wire Trial- Requires Carja Tripcaster and Blastwire, not Shock wire. Go down the nearest rope, place a bunch of the blast wires across the pass, lob a bomb and you are complete. Of note, if because of previous trials, if the grasers have moved off, or if they run up the wrong lane, you can generally restart from the last save by the quest giver and they will have returned.

Valleymeet Hunting Ground Trials- https://www.gamerguides.com/horizon...rounds/valleymeet-hunting-grounds#shock-trial https://www.gosunoob.com/horizon-zero-dawn/freeze-trial/.
- Strider Canister Trial is tricky, you want to get the horses close to one another. and you shoot their canisters with a fire arrow to damage 4 of them in the resulting explosions..
-The Shock Trial you shock a Bellowback (close one is fire variant, far one is freeze varient), knock off 3 canisters from the underside of the bellowback while it is down. I used my tripcaster with a shock line, then switched to my Cara Sharpshot Bow with Tearblast arrows to remove the cartridges. You have to get up close and shoot the underside of the creature while its down to knock off 3 of them.
- The Freeze Trial- have freeze ammo, elemental arrows or bombs, hit the striders with a freeze then melee kill them as fast as you can 5 of them.

Armor/Outfits
When you go to the proving, there will be a friend/trader there who you made you a free outfit, and has others for sale.
Outcast- What you wear at beginning of game.
Nora Brave- (Proving) Free. Teb, the boy you saved, made it for you, no extra protection, but can be upgraded.
Nora Surivor Light- (Proving) MS 45, Wire 5. Endurance and protection against all elements. +5 Fire, +5 Cold, +5 Shock, +5 ?
Nora Silent Hunter- (Proving) MS 50, Blaze 3. Stitched for stealth this outfit makes the wearer harder to see and hear. +10 Stealth.
Nora Protector Light- (Proving) MS 65, Sparker 5. Rineforced for the front of the War party. Protection against Melee +10.
Below these are found at trader by the second corrupt area in the game as as part of a quest.
• Nora Silent Hunter Medium
(Proving) MS 200, Watcher Lense 2. Stitched for stealth harder to see and Hear. +20 Stealth.
Nora Protector Heavy- MS 800, 1 Shell-Walker Heart +30 protection. Protection against melee attacks.
• Nora Survivor Heavy- MS900, 2 Watcher Hearts, 40 Blaze. +15 against all elements.
Banuk Ice Hunter Heavy- MS800, 1 Strider Heart, 20 metal vessels. +50 cold.
Nora Silent Hunter Heavy- MS800, 1 Bellowback Heart. +30 Stealth.
• Banuk Sickness Eater heavy- MS760, 1 Grazer Heart Resists corruption.
Nora Silent Hunter Medium- MS 200, 2 Watcher Lenses.

Skill Builds
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/20-12-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-the-skills-you-should-focus-on-first

My Build So Far Jul21, level 27.

Silent Strike (Prowler)- Sneak up and melee.
Concentration (Brave)- LShift Incredible valuable for hitting moving targets. While aiming slows down time making it easier to hit vulnerable spots.
• Gatherer (Forager L1)
• Critical Hit (Brave L1)
• Precision (Brave L1)
• Healer (Forager L1)
• Hunter Reflexes (Prowler L1)- Slows down time when you jump or slide.
• Silent Drop ( Prowler L1)- Fall or Jump will not alert otherwise unaware critters.
• Herbalist (Forager 2)- doubles capacity of medicine pouch.
• Mounted Pickup (Traveler L1)- Pick up resource and search downed enemies while mountedl
• Mount Repair (Traveler L2)- Repair damaged mount with metal shards.
• Critical Hit + 9 (Brave L2)- Increases critical damage.
• Low Profile (Prowler L2)- Increases stealth when crouching.
• Precision + (Brave L2)- More damage, more likely to knock stuff off machines when melee attacking them.
• Knockdown (Brave L3)- Knock down machines faster.
• Dodge Prowess :)Prowler L3)- Better dodges.
• ----------\
• Disarm Traps (Forager L3)
• Tinker (Forager L4)
• Balanced Aim (Prowler L2)
• Strong Strike (Prowler L3)+ Strong Strike + (Prowler L4) +30% damage.
• Concentration + (Brave L3)- Concentration lasts longer. Also needs Heavy Lifter (Brave L2)
• Quiet Spring (Prowler L4)- Machines looking the other way will not hear you spring by.
• For Tinker (Forager L4)- Got Scavanger (Forager L2, Disarm Traps L3).
• Strike from Above (Prowler L2)= Silently drop on enemy to take down small machine and humans, and heavily damage medium enemies.

Potions
• How to use Health Potion:
Use Z/X to cycle tools to health potions, then F to use. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1151640/discussions/0/2791621875940119259/

Craftables

• Tie Rope Light-
MS 1, Wire 4
• Fast Travel Pack- 15 Ridgewood, 1 Fatty Meat, 1 Bony Meat
Blast Sling Ammo Pouch Upgrade 2- MS20, Rabbit Bone 1, Fatty Meat 5.
Blast Sling Ammo Pouch Upgrade 3- MS125, Rabbit Skin 1, Rat Bone 1.
Blast Sling Ammo Pouch Upgrade 4- MS500, RW200, Rat Skin 1.
• xRattler Ammo Pouch Uprade 2- MS 20, Rat Bone 1, Fatty Meat 5.
Rattler Ammo Pouch Uprade 3- MS 125, Rat Skin 1, Fish Bone 1..
• Hunter Bow Quiver Upgrade 2- MS 20, Boar Bone 1, Fatty Meat 5.
Hunter Bow Quiver Upgrade 3- MS 125, Boar Skin 1, Rabbit Bone 1.
Hunter Bow Quiver Upgrade 4- MS 500, RW200, Fox Skin 1.
Sharpshot Bow Quiver Upgrade 2- MS 20, Raccoon Bone 1, Rich Meat 5.
Sharpshot Bow Quiver Upgrade 3- MS 125, Raccoon Skin 1, Turkey Bone 1.
• Sharpshot Bow Quiver Upgrade 4- MS 500 RW200, Rabbit Skin 1.
• Sling Ammo Pack Upgrade 2- MS 20, Fish Bone 1, Fatty Meat 5.
• Warbow quiver Upgrade 1- MS5, RW10, Chillwater 1.
Warbow quiver Upgrade 2- MS20, Turkey Bone 1, Bony Meat 5.
Warbow quiver Upgrade 4- MS500, RW200, Fish Skin 1.
Satchel Upgrade 1- MS 15, RW 20
Satchel Upgrade 2- MS 35, RW 30, Rich Meat 5.
Outfit Satchel Upgrade 4- MS 125, RW 50, Fish Skin 1.
Modification Satchel Upgrade 3- MS 125, RW 40, Fox Bone 2.
XModification Satchel Upgrade 4- MS 125, RW 50, Fox Skin 1.
• Potions Pouch Upgrade 1- Metal Shards 30, Ridgewood 50, Metal Vessel 15.
XPotions Pouch Upgrade 2- Metal Shards 70, Ridgewood 100, Blaze 20 (various machines), Fishbone 1.
Potions Pouch Upgrade 3- Metal Shards 250, Ridgewood 200, Echo Shell 15, Raccoon Skin 1.
• Resource Satch Upgrade 3-
MS 75, RW 40, Boar Bone 2.
XResource Satch Upgrade 4- MS 125, RW 50, Boar Skin 1.
• Ropecaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 1- MS5, RW10, Metal Vessel 1.
Ropecaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 2- MS20, Turkey Bone 1, Bony Meat 5.
xRopecaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 3- MS125, Fish Bone 1, Turkey Skin 1.
Ropecaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 4- MS500, RW200, Raccoon Skin 1.
Traps Pouch 2- MS35, RW30, Bony Meat 5.
Traps Pouch 3- MS75, RW40, Turkey Skin 1.
• Tripcaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 1- MS5, RW10, Blaze 1.
Tripcaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 2- MS20, Fox Bone 1, Rich Meat 5.
Tripcaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 3- MS125, Turkey Bone 1, Fox Skin 1.
Tripcaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 4- MS500, RW 200, Boar Skin 1,.
Weapon Satchel Upgrade 3- MS75, RW 40, Rabbit Bone 1.
Weapon Satchel Upgrade 4- MS125, RW 50, Rabbit Skin 1.

Critters
• Rat-
Tiny Meat
Salmon- Use focus, mark them with G, and if not near the surface, usually aiming under the marker arrow will hit them.
• Scrapper- MS,k 10% Corruption Weave, Metal Vessel, Wire, Sparker.
• Striders- MS, Strider Heart, Blaze, Wire, 10% Damage Coil (variable),
Tall Necks- The first one you see, there is a ruin that you can climb to jump on it’s back and then climb up the horizontal information antennas. On top you override the Radar which is an info hub. Get a read on what’s in the area? When finished repel down, you are given a que to do so.
• Watchers- MS, Watcher Heart, Watcher Lense, Sparker, Shock Coils,

Collectibles
• Note about Meats-
It looks like you can get any kind of meat, Boney Meat, Rich Meat, and Fat Meat off any animal.
• Corruption Glaze Root-
• Fire Kiln Root-
This natural resource can be used to craft resistance potions. https://horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Kiln_Root
Freeze Rime Root-
Blaze- Fire Arrows, Tripcaster Ammo Pouch Upgrade 1
• Shock Wax Root-

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In Horizon Zero Dawn, I ran across a robot called a 'Rockbreaker' that made me ragequit in disgust. Up until that time I had really been enjoying it, though I do wish it had more roleplaying elements and freedom of choice.

Right now I'm going through my game catalog trying to figure out what games will run on my M1 MBA with Rosetta, Crossover or Parallels for gaming on the run. My latest success was The Outer Worlds which is a really fun RPG; however even on low settings it's kind of choppy.

On my gaming PC, I've been playing Nier Automata and Skyrim VR. I'm not normally into anime, or games based on anime, but I'm really enjoying Nier. Right now I'm passing through an older part of the game from another character's perspective, which is a neat story telling trick, but is kind of dull in execution. I'm trying to push through this part to get closer to the endgame.

Skyrim VR is, as one might think, extraordinarily immersive. I took an old vanilla save from Skyrim (dated about 2013, lol) and picked up where that character left off. The only technical challenge I face is the *!&@* blurriness. It's like I have 20/80 near-sighted vision but no spectacles.

Speaking of vision, VR is an extraordinary experience for me. IRL I have zero depth perception thanks to mismatched eyes (one sees almost normally, the other is horribly near-sighted.) But when I put on the VR headset (or go to a 3D movie) suddenly I can perceive depth and distance *much* more clearly. However the blurriness is starting to get on my nerves...

In HZD did Rockbreaker abuse you? I’d like to hear more about the rage quitable offense. :)

All the Bethesda games could be quit extraordinarily in VR, except I’m wondering how do you move, with WSAD, are you using a controller with a joystick or is it teleportation to move?

LOL, it's been a minute since it happened. Rockbreaker the robot is so freaking huge and fast that it's tough to keep a healthy distance from it. And his speed and size also make it difficult to dodge/roll/run out of his way when he's bearing down on you. So after dying about five times my head exploded and I walked away in disgust.

I think there are some explosive barrels around him that you can use to hurt Rockbreaker, but I was too busy trying to stay alive to switch to a fire arrow, shoot and then switch back. I probably need to watch some Youtube tutorials on how to take it out.
Refarding HZD, how about the tripcaster for Rockbreaker to slow him down? Is it carrying the explosive barrels or are they scattered around the landscape?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In Horizon Zero Dawn, I ran across a robot called a 'Rockbreaker' that made me ragequit in disgust. Up until that time I had really been enjoying it, though I do wish it had more roleplaying elements and freedom of choice.

Right now I'm going through my game catalog trying to figure out what games will run on my M1 MBA with Rosetta, Crossover or Parallels for gaming on the run. My latest success was The Outer Worlds which is a really fun RPG; however even on low settings it's kind of choppy.

On my gaming PC, I've been playing Nier Automata and Skyrim VR. I'm not normally into anime, or games based on anime, but I'm really enjoying Nier. Right now I'm passing through an older part of the game from another character's perspective, which is a neat story telling trick, but is kind of dull in execution. I'm trying to push through this part to get closer to the endgame.

Skyrim VR is, as one might think, extraordinarily immersive. I took an old vanilla save from Skyrim (dated about 2013, lol) and picked up where that character left off. The only technical challenge I face is the *!&@* blurriness. It's like I have 20/80 near-sighted vision but no spectacles.

Speaking of vision, VR is an extraordinary experience for me. IRL I have zero depth perception thanks to mismatched eyes (one sees almost normally, the other is horribly near-sighted.) But when I put on the VR headset (or go to a 3D movie) suddenly I can perceive depth and distance *much* more clearly. However the blurriness is starting to get on my nerves...

In HZD did Rockbreaker abuse you? I’d like to hear more about the rage quitable offense. :)

All the Bethesda games could be quit extraordinarily in VR, except I’m wondering how do you move, with WSAD, are you using a controller with a joystick or is it teleportation to move?

LOL, it's been a minute since it happened. Rockbreaker the robot is so freaking huge and fast that it's tough to keep a healthy distance from it. And his speed and size also make it difficult to dodge/roll/run out of his way when he's bearing down on you. So after dying about five times my head exploded and I walked away in disgust.

I think there are some explosive barrels around him that you can use to hurt Rockbreaker, but I was too busy trying to stay alive to switch to a fire arrow, shoot and then switch back. I probably need to watch some Youtube tutorials on how to take it out.

In Skyrim VR, and Fallout 4 VR, I'm using the standard Oculus Quest 2 controllers. Teleportation is way too immersion breaking for me, so I just use the controller thumb sticks to amble about. Fortunately I only get a tiny bit of motion sickness when playing in VR, so it's not a big deal.

I usually play room scale VR wirelessly, unless I'm tired or want a crystal clear experience. One of the big problems with Bethesda VR games is the tremendous amount of bandwidth they need, and neither Virtual Desktop nor Oculus' new Airlink can feed the Quest 2 enough data to keep up. So things get blurry when playing wirelessly.

When I sit down to play with my headset jacked in, things are only slightly blurry instead of somewhat blurry. It's enough of a difference to make it worth my while to sit down and play wired every once in a while.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Refarding HZD, how about the tripcaster for Rockbreaker to slow him down? Is it carrying the explosive barrels or are they scattered around the landscape?
The Tripcaster is unlikely to work. Rockbreaker *primarily* moves underground. But proximity traps might do some good...

This person is clearly more skilled than I. But I think it'll give you an idea why I ragequit...

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Tripcaster is unlikely to work. Rockbreaker *primarily* moves underground. But proximity traps might do some good...

This person is clearly more skilled than I. But I think it'll give you an idea why I ragequit...
Thanks for posting. What about all the explosives? It was hard to tell if any of those were exploded with arrows. There is also the difficulty setting as a last resort. :)

At least I know where the best place is to be, not out there in the plain trying to dodge this thing...

Last edited:

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Yeah standing out the middle rolling around is where I have been, so the video is useful in that regard. I’ll have to go back at some point and try standing in the high ground and plinking the big guy with my bow.

I hate turning the game down below Normal difficulty. Feel like a real wuss,lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wish there were some cheats to restock things I normally have to run around and collect or kill things to harvest. I’ve looked, but do not see a in-game console which is usually good for cheating. ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought over from another thread:

In Skyrim VR, and Fallout 4 VR, I'm using the standard Oculus Quest 2 controllers. Teleportation is way too immersion breaking for me, so I just use the controller thumb sticks to amble about. Fortunately I only get a tiny bit of motion sickness when playing in VR, so it's not a big deal.

I usually play room scale VR wirelessly, unless I'm tired or want a crystal clear experience. One of the big problems with Bethesda VR games is the tremendous amount of bandwidth they need, and neither Virtual Desktop nor Oculus' new Airlink can feed the Quest 2 enough data to keep up. So things get blurry when playing wirelessly.

When I sit down to play with my headset jacked in, things are only slightly blurry instead of somewhat blurry. It's enough of a difference to make it worth my while to sit down and play wired every once in a while.
Update on Rockbreaker, use tear arrows shooting it’s feet until the digging mechanism fall off, and it can no longer dig or zoom around underground. Then shoot the fuel sack on the belly with precision or fire arrows until it blows up. In that quarry quest the ramp coming down to the quarry is the place to fight, although the wood barriers do not completely protect you from projectiles, dash back and forth when not shooting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.