Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
So I've finally configured the system the way I want, but how do I save this state now? There will be a moment when I'll have to wipe the system clean, but getting all the apps, backups and settings back will take a while. I've created Time machine, but it doesn't allow to move its files to a network drive. Are there any other tools? Would I be better off with something like a full drive cloner or whatever. I just want to save this mostly clean but configured system, so in a year or two I can get to this state in a couple of clicks after clean install.

renox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
How are you hosting your network drive?
It's a RPi with an external drive attached and shared over smb. Doesn't show up as an option when setting up Time Machine and I can't drag and drop existing Time Machine files there.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It's a RPi with an external drive attached and shared over smb.
Your Pi needs to advertise itself on the network as available for TM backups via Bonjour. There are packages you can install to do this. Google search for “RPi SMB Time Machine”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.