Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
I find it good during the day but way high for workouts. When I run it usually has my heart rate going into the 180s during even a modest effort which is waaaay higher than it should be.
I see this exact behavior. Normal readings appear fine but during workouts my HR shows much higher than it actually is.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I had been holding off upgrading to AW4 - but then saw inconsistent comments and really hoped AW5 would address - but the problem doesn’t seem to be acknowledged.

Could it simply be that the Apple Watch as a Health tool for the average person - but doesn’t really address the needs of an athlete?

It’s a legitimate design decision - and you’ve got to draw the line somewhere - just doesn’t seem openly discussed.

What am I missing?

Buy an S4 or S5 from somewhere that allows returns.

My S4 has been fine, and I've also done a number of runs with a Garmin running watch w/ chest strap. HR figures were always about the same, +/- 1BPM.

Anthony Apple User

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
Perhaps it's the sensors or age of the S2. I am a very avid athlete, many miles on the bike and running 6 days a week. When cycling, I use a Garmin edge alongside their soft strap heart rate chest monitor, and use both that and my Series 4 to track my data. My HR is always with 2 BPM between the watch and my HR chest monitor. My resting is also in the same range as you and don't have any issues with my S4.

The only 'issue' I can say I have is when doing the ECG on the new watch, it can sometimes fail as it says my heart rate is too low.
Ok. So that’s interesting- and I was really hoping to get a reply like that. You’ve given me the fuel I needed to upgrade (or justify the purchase to my wife). Will wait until I see AW5 in store and then do a side by side comparison with my Tickr and report back. Fingers crossed

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Seems pretty accurate to me, Purple is Apple Watch, greeny/blue is Tickr recorded onto an 830 Edge.

Annotation 2019-09-24 125106.jpg

link to analyze.dcrainmaker.com

Reactions: arn and deeddawg

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
a second indoor cycle test and I'm happy with the HR readings. This time dcrainmaker told me how to align these better using a 2nd reference point (ie power) and a 3rd FIT file which I didn't do in the post above.

pink is the AW trace, the other is Wahoo Tickr paired to Edge 830.

2hr test.jpg

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
a second indoor cycle test and I'm happy with the HR readings. This time dcrainmaker told me how to align these better using a 2nd reference point (ie power) and a 3rd FIT file which I didn't do in the post above.

pink is the AW trace, the other is Wahoo Tickr paired to Edge 830.

View attachment 863473

Thanks for posting those, they look pretty solid.

(as an aside, folks are advised to remember Segal's law ... :D )

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The ECG part should be quite accurate.
The pulse portion will vary and has trouble with continuous HRV required for certain analyses.
The wrist is a very difficult place to get pulse. There is a lot of noise with low signal levels. There will be a great degree of variation based on the tightness of the watch band, the color and hairiness of the skin, and the level of perfusion.
The watch overall does an admirable job getting decent data for most circumstances. But motion and perspiration will interfere at times.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I find mine very accurate (Series 4).
I‘ve compared to a few different ellipticals and bikes in the gym, and they always match up. I use a Scosche Rhythm+ monitor when I ride my Peloton and it matches up almost exactly with my watch reading too.

Been very pleased. As others noted - need to have a good tight band and the right placement on your wrist.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well!

Ive got a very low heart rate and have been to my cardiologist regularly to monitor it. On every piece of blood pressure equipment Ive been measured with my resting reading is usually between 35-40 beats per minute. My cardiologist says that I have a "runner's heart".

Interestingly enough when I check my Apple Watch the usual reading is around 70 beats per minute. So, I figured that my Apple Watch was just not accurate. Then, when our daughter got a brand new Apple Watch this year (mine is the original model), I put it on and sure enough the readings were between 68-75 bpm.

I have 2 blood pressure monitors at home and her readings on those are around 75bpm. On her Apple Watch the readings are the same, 75bpm.

I have a regular irregular heart beat (the 3rd beat in a sequence is quicker right after the 2nd beat and then the next beat takes a bit longer).

Im wondering if maybe the Apple Watch is picking up something that the blood pressure monitors are not (?) or if the Apple Watch is just not as reliable.

Anyway, thank you for your time in reading all this and if you have any thoughts please let me know what you think.

Best to you always,

Rick

I'd imagine they are accurate, especially the ECG.

It's a daily thing for me to get between 2-6 low heart rate warnings with a resting heart rate of 36-41 depending what I've been doing. The Dr's not too concerned as I do quite a bit of running, mountaineering etc... they'd be more concerned with that low a resting heart rate and no exercise.

I do recall having a conversation with the anaesthetist after a knee op I had and he said it freaked them out a little as I was low to mid 30's :)

Has your cardiologist explained why there would be a difference? What HR do you get using the ECG or when you measure your HR with your finger on the crown?!?

jwehman1

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
I must be a one-off due to my skin type or color or body composition or some other factor (btw - caucasian male in mid-50's). My AWS4 and now 5 both showed pretty stark differences between heart rates when running. I have a Fenix 3 with a Garmin HR Strap that I wear (have for years) and a pretty standard 4 mile run I do that is pretty hilly. I noticed on the Apple Watches that my HR would never really modulate as much as I was used to (per looking at the watch while running). It would stay in the mid- to high150's for most of my run, where I was used to it coming down on the down-hill portions. Being that I use my HR as an indicator of my current output and modify my pace and effort based on that, I don't like a non-accurate rate.

So I have been wearing both for a few runs and I've attached a basic comparison (I don't have an acct at dcrainmaker to use his tool) of the same run taken a couple days ago on the AW Series 5. This type of discrepancy is common. It wasn't a one-off.

For me - I will be using my Wahoo Tickr now whenever I run or bike. I can'r rely on the watche's HR function for serious training/fitness activities.

(Fenix 3/Garmin HR Strap on the left, Apple Watch Series 5 on the right)
Annotation 2019-09-25 094925.jpg

Reactions: adrianlondon

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The wrist is a very difficult place to get pulse. There is a lot of noise with low signal levels. There will be a great degree of variation based on the tightness of the watch band, the color and hairiness of the skin, and the level of perfusion.
The watch overall does an admirable job getting decent data for most circumstances. But motion and perspiration will interfere at times.

Speaking from years of HRM chest strap experience (Polar then various Garmin straps), those have their own set of potential issues as well. Static from certain shirts in dry air, poor contact unless using electrode gel (brrr!!), and ever interference from electrical transmission lines... :D

Having using Garmin optical HRMs as well as a progression of Apple Watches, I've been very pleased with the S4 and now my S5. I use a sport loop and don't have to do anything special in terms of tightness. Snug enough to not flop around during my runs works fine for me.

Anthony Apple User

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
Just got my AW5 to do test as described above. First major finding. It will not do ECG for a HR less than 50!!!!

So disappointed. That was the first improvement I was hoping for.

Next - I’ll see how accurate for actual performance work - but already feeling this is not a tool for people with low HRs

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
The heart rate measured by the watch seems to be accurate for me. I have manually counted the pulse at the wrist and compared it to readings from the Apple Watch. They usually differ within 1-2 beats per minutes. My resting heart rate is around 55 bpm. At least it seems to be accurate around that range. But I don't know enough about how optical heart rate sensors are calibrated so whether the accuracy can apply to other ranges of heart rate is unclear to me.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Just chiming in as another cyclist.

I've had the same curiosity of how well can a wrist HR monitor be compared to a chest strap HR monitor. So, I started getting more serious with my cycling lately and bought spin bike this Winter along with a Wahoo chest strap, cadance and speed meters for my pedal crank and wheel hub. In 2 instances thus far, 10 minute ride and a 20 minute ride I've done, the Apple watch average was the same on the 10 minute ride and only 1 beat per second off on the 20 minute ride. So I would say, the the Apple Watch gets it right in regards to HR.

Here are logs, the Left with the green cycle icon is the Apple Watch 4. The orange icon is Strava using a trifecta of sensors including the Wahoo chest strap, speed, and cadance meters.

IMG_3807.PNG IMG_3808.PNG

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
So I previously reported that I was seeing the odd drop in the low 40’s. I have since tightened the band, and I no longer see these drops.

The drops where single instances and never triggered the low heart rate warning.

Confident having been wearing the band tighter for near on two weeks without a low reading that the drops where due to the band not being tight enough rather than actually have low heart rate Drops.

Reactions: Ntombi

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Just chiming in as another cyclist.

I've had the same curiosity of how well can a wrist HR monitor be compared to a chest strap HR monitor. So, I started getting more serious with my cycling lately and bought spin bike this Winter along with a Wahoo chest strap, cadance and speed meters for my pedal crank and wheel hub. In 2 instances thus far, 10 minute ride and a 20 minute ride I've done, the Apple watch average was the same on the 10 minute ride and only 1 beat per second off on the 20 minute ride. So I would say, the the Apple Watch gets it right in regards to HR.

Here are logs, the Left with the green cycle icon is the Apple Watch 4. The orange icon is Strava using a trifecta of sensors including the Wahoo chest strap, speed, and cadance meters.

View attachment 881857 View attachment 881858
I wonder why the discrepancy in calories?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
If your daughters watch is series 4 or 5, then try touching the crown while using the pulse app. It will measure electrical instead of optical.

how did you find out about this?
i cannot find any info on the Apple help pages.

thanks

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
I wonder why the discrepancy in calories?
Strava had more sensors feeding into it since I have a (1) Wahoo HR monitor (2) a speed sensor attached to the wheel and (3) cadance sensor on my shoe to show how many revolutions I make with the pedals.

Apple Watch only has the HR sensor.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
how did you find out about this?
i cannot find any info on the Apple help pages.

thanks

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

To use the electrical heart sensor to measure your heart rate, open the Heart Rate app and place your finger on the Digital Crown. You will get a faster reading with higher fidelity — getting a measurement every second instead of every 5 seconds. You’ll see "ECG" in Heart Rate Context when looking at recorded data for Heart Rate in the Health app. You can also use the electrical heart sensor to take an ECG with the ECG app.

Reactions: brn2prgrm2

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

To use the electrical heart sensor to measure your heart rate, open the Heart Rate app and place your finger on the Digital Crown. You will get a faster reading with higher fidelity — getting a measurement every second instead of every 5 seconds. You’ll see "ECG" in Heart Rate Context when looking at recorded data for Heart Rate in the Health app. You can also use the electrical heart sensor to take an ECG with the ECG app.

Thank you. I thought I looked at that page. Obviously I need to pay better attention.
It makes me wonder what else I am missing about this watch.

elithea

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
i’m very different from you guys, i’m a nearly 68 year old woman with no health problems but totally not in shape and i just got a new series 3. i noticed that my heart rate app is acting very weird today. when i first look at it it measures me in the ballpark, around 70, but then almost immediately drops some 20 points between one beat and the next! it was hovering in the forties, so i had it measure again and it was in the 70s, but the next beat 44! is it broken? i don’t feel any differently. i did have a flu shot today, but no reactions to those ever.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
i’m very different from you guys, i’m a nearly 68 year old woman with no health problems but totally not in shape and i just got a new series 3. i noticed that my heart rate app is acting very weird today. when i first look at it it measures me in the ballpark, around 70, but then almost immediately drops some 20 points between one beat and the next! it was hovering in the forties, so i had it measure again and it was in the 70s, but the next beat 44! is it broken? i don’t feel any differently. i did have a flu shot today, but no reactions to those ever.
To test whether it’s accurate, manually check your pulse at the same time by placing a finger in the corner of your neck or bottom of your wrist. You will feel the jumps. If you do then the watch is accurate and you should go to the ER. If your pulse feels normal then the watch is not reporting your HR correctly.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Does anyone have tips for getting good HR readings when running? Mine seems to drop out a fair bit and also read higher than expected. I'm using the velcro strap, done up pretty tightly and above my wrist bone....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.