Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hi experts: I suppose that Safari v. 13.1.2 is a really ancient browser (my mid-2010 iMac is running High Sierra). However, I am very used to using Safari, and I prefer it over all other browsers. Until quite recently, it was possible for me to pay for an item (bought, say, on eBay) with PayPal, using Safari. Then, there seems to have been a change to a "new PayPal check-out", and when I clicked on "Pay by PayPal", all that happened was that a circle appeared and carried on rotating, endlessly. It simply would not grant any access to my PayPal account, as used in conjunction with eBay.

To my relief, I found that, by doing the purchase using Brave browser, I was able to pay for the item. However, today, when wanting to pay via PayPal (and using the "Brave" browser to do so), the everlasting circle kept turning. I could not pay. This is even though, when i went to the official PayPal login page, I was able to log in there, and look into my PayPal account. While the circle was turning, I did notice a little alert that appeared, which said: JavaScript is void (or something like that). I tried to do something about that in Brave, in the preferences, but could not find any mention of JavaScript. (Yet, in Safari, Javascript is easily found — in Preferences > Security) — Even though it is enabled here, Safari cannot deal with the Paypal checkout.

I just want to be able to pay by Paypal — in Safari, if possible. Can anyone offer any helpful advice, to bring this about? Otherwise (i.e. if this is no longer possible, whatever one does), how can I enable Java Script in Brave?

With thanks for any helpful responses,
C.H.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What version of High Sierra? Make sure you have all available updates installed... then we'll deal w/ the browser issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.