Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brask

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2020
Denmark
So what are you doing specifically?
Are you holding the power button down for 10+ seconds to shut down the computer?
Are you going to the apple logo and selecting 'Shut down'?
'Turn off' isn't a command.
If you have done either of those options and it then starts when you touch a key, I'd be surprised.
It's never done that to me.
If you've done something else then you've just put your computer to sleep and then yes, it will come out of sleep when you touch a key.
Additionally, you need to leave the screen open until the computer is completely shut down otherwise it won't shut down properly and xill just go to sleep.
There is no way that just pressing a key reboots the computer if it's been completely and correctly shut down.
No way.
You are clearly not aware of how the 2020 MacBook Air M1 machine works. The 'start on any key' and 'start on lid open' are standard behaviour on this model when the machine has been correctly and completely shut down. It is a new 'feature' on this model. And I honestly find it annoying to say the least.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I think it started in 2016 with the Touch Bar models.
No, my 2017 15” MBP only powers on when you lift the lid or use the power switch. The trackpad and other keys cannot start the computer.

I pretty sure it was the 2018 revisions that started this any key to power up option.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
What an absolute pain for anyone trying to do even basic service or maintenance on these computers. It's not like you can easily disconnect the battery either... It's really questionable logic to have a power button that has no unique functionality outside of key combos. I see a growing trend in computer tech where manufacturers think people have extremely frail and weak fingers, as so to make it difficult to reach up and press a power button...

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
They've talked about this on ATP before, there's literally no way to stop other keys from causing the Mac to boot.

If your concern is wanting to clean the keyboard, download this free tool https://folivora.ai/keyboardcleantool

You just click a button and then it stops receiving keyboard input until you click it again. So you can clean while booted up.
Or just clean it before you log into your user account, or just lock the screen with ⌘⌃Q.

chrisjohns23

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
I have a Macbook Pro, M1 (14", 2021). The auto boot upon opening lid is an annoying and useless feature. Even more annoying and useless is the "hit any key" to bootup. (Note: These things happen after a full shutdown.) It is also unbelievable, because who in their right mind would design a computer that makes you download an app so that you can clean your keyboard? What is the power button for? I've read this thread. The method for disabling the auto boot (through a command in Terminal) doesn't work. And I can't find anything that does. Anyone have any insight on this longtime and continuing-to-be-annoying-and-stupid problem?

chrisjohns23

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
There is nothing you can do to change the behavior of the machine.
I thought the whole point of having a computer is that you could program it to do whatever you want, not to be forced to do what it wants. Surely, there is a command that changes the behavior of the machine. If there is not, then one can be made.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple never ceases to amaze me with their terrible design choices.
You have it all wrong.

Apple sets the standard on design, aesthetics, and quality.

How many 10 year old Dell’s HPs or whatnot are running whereas you see plenty of threads here of folks still using old macs.

Design wise Apple sets the standard and this model included

Microsoft is trying to catch up with an ARM processor/OS of their own and after 6 years Arm windows is no where near what macOS is

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You have it all wrong.

How many 10 year old Dell’s HPs or whatnot are running whereas you see plenty of threads here of folks still using old macs.

Microsoft is trying to catch up with an ARM processor/OS of their own and after 6 years Arm windows is no where near what macOS is
I agree in terms of industrial design but Apple makes mistakes too. The press any key to auto boot is a mistake. The cheap abs plastic keys that get shiny after a couple months of use are a mistake. The previous line of MBP with Intel processor and just a few thunderbolt ports and poor cooling system were mistakes.

This thread is not about Apple's design chops but their software mistake which renders the power button redundant and can cause the laptop to boot up in your sleeve or bag or while traveling thus draining the battery and in the case of the Pro models possibly leading to overheating.

A lot of people here are just asking for an option to use the power button as intended and turn off the press any key to boot feature. I could even live with the lift screen to boot but the press any key is a problem.

I have a Windows laptop which will turn on when lifting the screen but there is a toggle in settings to turn the feature off and use the power button only. If Windows can do it surely Apple can. It is not about design aesthetics but how you want to use your Mac.

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
I thought the whole point of having a computer is that you could program it to do whatever you want, not to be forced to do what it wants. Surely, there is a command that changes the behavior of the machine. If there is not, then one can be made.
The only company still making general purpose computers like that is IBM with their mainframes. And even then only for customers who are willing to pay a lot for customization, or who forgo the warranty.

And there won't be any Wifi, bluetooth, thunderbolt, USB, audio, microphone, camera, or even touchpad support.

Probably not even HDMI, because that still requires agreeing to restrictive licensing terms, such a computer will be VGA out only with mouse and keyboard input only.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
You have it all wrong.

Just because Apple gets more things right than their competitors doesn't mean they don't get things wrong, too, and the subject of this thread is one, though by far not the only, example.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Apple could probably address this "issue", but I suspect it would have to be through a combined firmware/software update.

Perhaps a system setting pane that offered either
- normal boot (open lid or press any key with lid open and power off)
or
- restricted boot (computer doesn't boot when lid opened, and boots only when touch ID key pressed).

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
The worst thing is apple in their own support document on how to clean your MacBook specifically says to make sure the machine is switched off before cleaning it. Well how the hell do we do that if it turns on if you as much as breathe on it??

Reactions: Technerd108

adrian78704

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2023
So I spilled a drink on my MBP M1 and could NOT keep it off while trying desperately to clean it. It all happened so fast. I was so upset with myself for 1, spilling the damn drink on it, and 2, not having the settings to keep it off while cleaning it. Well, looks like I would have been sh*t out of luck anyway.

Not having these settings is ridiculous. I think Apple intentionally has it set like this so you can't save your laptop. lol

Anyway, apparently it didn't really damage my laptop because I'm using it not to post this. I may still have someone look at it and clean it if needed. I'm sure there's some stickiness inside. So far keys aren't sticking so that's a plus.

Reactions: lepidotós

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
So I spilled a drink on my MBP M1 and could NOT keep it off while trying desperately to clean it. It all happened so fast. I was so upset with myself for 1, spilling the damn drink on it, and 2, not having the settings to keep it off while cleaning it. Well, looks like I would have been sh*t out of luck anyway.

Not having these settings is ridiculous. I think Apple intentionally has it set like this so you can't save your laptop. lol

Anyway, apparently it didn't really damage my laptop because I'm using it not to post this. I may still have someone look at it and clean it if needed. I'm sure there's some stickiness inside. So far keys aren't sticking so that's a plus.
If there’s liquid inside, it is currently contaminating and corroding logic board contacts and will at some point cause a failure. Get it cleaned out sooner rather than later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.