Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I think the mistake you may be making is shooting in AV or P mode.

It occurs to me that another issue may be the metering mode. For backlit subjects, i have always taken my readings on the subject using spot metering and set my exposure manually accordingly. In these cases, I am guessing you used a fairly open aperture?

One other variable may be at issue here - the angle and severity of the backlight. In your photos, the light seems to be fairly well obscured by the subjects, and at a low angle - late in the day. Bright sun earlier, and less obstruction, may make such photos all but impossible.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Start with the basics. The real basics. It's the secret of mastering anything.
From your post above you simply don't know how to meter a scene. You need to use manual and expose for the subject not the background. In fact manual is easier for most shooting. Automatic guesses what you want and gets it wrong a significant percentage of the time.
I have cameras with umpteen modes of auto this and that and most of the time I use manual as it is easier. I even used to use manual when shooting concerts where the light changes a lot more than real life.
Practicing exposure is so easy with digital. You take a shot, see how it looks, alter a parameter see how that effects image and move on from there. Don't rely on being told how to do everything. It's easy enough to work out for yourself if you have any photographic capability and some basic knowledge.

Exposure is the key you are right, but I would also add the right time of day also will get that look you are going for. Shoot near the end of the day when the light is a little softer and has that evening glow. Get the exposure right and you will be set :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I think the mistake you may be making is shooting in AV or P mode. If you do that into a backlit subject, most of the time, your camera will expose for the light in the background, giving you a silhouette. You need to shoot in MANUAL mode, at 1.2. It's tough to autofocus into a backlit subject, so I try to angle the camera so the sun is off to the side of the frame, streaming in from a corner, unless it is only 15 minutes before sunset. This is the part that takes most of the practice--getting the exposure exactly right for the desired express, figuring out the composition to control the flare, and focusing so that you have sharp subjects. It's just going to take some time!!
Now this is the answer I am looking for, thanks Jessica!!! You Rock! :cool:, well I've been experimenting with manual ever since my concert shots and I'm liking it very much more then AV, I never used P though.

Hmm, I guess this affect can only be achieved by a 1.2 or 1.4? How about 1.8 or 2.8?

And it seems timing, lighting and a little dose of good luck is one of the few components to achieve great photos :D

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Zzzzz...so far I must admit that your attempt to 'help' me has been utterly disappointing, and I wonder r u really trying to help me or just repeating things people usually told when someone ask these kind of questions, are you even able to get the same effect as what I want or not cause so far all your 'helps' has been asking me to do things that I've already tried! And sorry me for whining but I need to get a rough idea where to start.
Grief, I told you exactly what you need to do, try reading all the words in my post, particularly the ones in bold and if you had, you would have seen that is not what you were doing and my advice was basically the same as what Jessica said a couple of posts later.
And if you know your basics, working out the timing of when to do the shot is then possible. You make your own 'luck'. I do not think Jessica's work has much to do with luck, a lot to do with practice and hard work maybe.
Though having said that - in the UK and with our very varied and unpredictable weather, Jessica would really struggle to get the shots of hers that you so like a lot of the time, so her being based in Southern California will help enormously. :) There's a very good reason why the film industry set up in California - very consistent lighting/weather. The shot below was taken [in Sweden] in July and judging by current skies outside my window today, there's no chance of getting a shot like that as it's uniformly and resolutley grey, despite sunshine being forecast a couple of days back.

And yes I can do that sort of shot, as I know my photography basics inside out. This is the only one I could think of off hand - not a type of shot I do very often as most of my work is very different from Jessicas. And I live in the UK! ;)

3407024418_cb4160262f_o.jpg

No filters, no PS. Just RAW file with some colour boosting and WB correction. Colours may be a bit off, just got two new monitors and not quite happy with calibration yet and sRGB stuff simply looks odd as it's a wide gamut display.
But this particular image was shot differently from Jessica's in several ways.
A wide angle zoom - more info below.
Another way of getting exposure more manageble with contre jour images is to use fill in flash. Though you can get a different sort of look that way. Looking at EXIF of the image above, Aperture Priorty + fill flash was used, but as camera has sun pointing directly into lens, you will only get a very teeny bit of fill light [in fact I only realised flash was even used by looking at EXIF] and AP was set to -1.67 and flash was probably set to underexpose as well. You can only use Auto setting well, if you know how to manually expose correctly IMHO.

Hmm, I guess this affect can only be achieved by a 1.2 or 1.4? How about 1.8 or 2.8?
The aperture only affects depth of field [if keeping exposure constant]. The shot above was taken at f4 on a 16-35mmF2.8 at 16mm but has a shallow DoF [for 16mm] as it's focused quite close. The different type of lens flare is due to a very different lens being used. F1.2 is only available on a couple of lenses 50mm+85mm and each focal length will influence how you shoot. But probably the most important thing when doing this sort of photography is your people skills and your compositional ability.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
... interesting stuff ...

Thanks, I learned a lot from that. Always good to get a different viewpoint, and to see how different techniques and tactics are used to achieve a similar aim with different equipment.

And I agree, you make your own luck. In theatre, what can look like a spontaneous gesture made offhandedly by an actor is actually something that took months of training, preparation, organisation, and the expenditure of many thousands of pounds, in bringing actors, lighting, set, script, venue, audience together all at the right time, in the right order.

A true pro will make his/her stuff look easy to do. It isn't.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks ajpl, now that's a well written answer :D. Thanks again for spending time writing it and sorry if I made you angry :eek:

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
If you learned something that is good. :)
Apology accepted. Nothing wrong with making mistakes. Lots wrong however with pretending you didn't and being human, we all make mistakes.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
The aperture only affects depth of field [if keeping exposure constant]. The shot above was taken at f4 on a 16-35mmF2.8 at 16mm but has a shallow DoF [for 16mm] as it's focused quite close. The different type of lens flare is due to a very different lens being used. F1.2 is only available on a couple of lenses 50mm+85mm and each focal length will influence how you shoot. But probably the most important thing when doing this sort of photography is your people skills and your compositional ability.

Your lens' angle of view definitely adds or removes various amounts of lens flare. The aperture is the brightness variable, and yes, it does control depth of field but also, as it's stopped down, it also narrows beams of light. A wide open lens will contain a wider burst of light than a stopped down lens, even if the exposure reads the same.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Your lens' angle of view definitely adds or removes various amounts of lens flare. The aperture is the brightness variable, and yes, it does control depth of field but also, as it's stopped down, it also narrows beams of light. A wide open lens will contain a wider burst of light than a stopped down lens, even if the exposure reads the same.
thanks for the tip, sorry if this sounds stupid but I always get confused with these kind of terms, wide open lens is f/22 like that rite?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
thanks for the tip, sorry if this sounds stupid but I always get confused with these kind of terms, wide open lens is f/22 like that rite?

No, just the opposite. A wide open lens is set at its widest aperture. f/22 is often the very smallest aperture for a lens, so then it's completely "stopped down." No lens that I know of is "wide open" at f/22!!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
No, just the opposite. A wide open lens is set at its widest aperture. f/22 is often the very smallest aperture for a lens, so then it's completely "stopped down." No lens that I know of is "wide open" at f/22!!

Ah thanks :eek:, so widest is f/1.4 or something like dat and smallest is f/22 like dat? Okay, I wonder if its just me who get confused with the terms :eek:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Ah thanks :eek:, so widest is f/1.4 or something like dat and smallest is f/22 like dat? Okay, I wonder if its just me who get confused with the terms :eek:

Everyone does when they start learning about apertures. It's part of the pain of learning. You'll look back one day and laugh. (Or cry).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.