Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twowinns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
I have several businesses I deal with and have them listed in my contacts under the business name. When I try to add the primary individual contact as well, the person's name supercedes the business name in my Contact's list.

My only work-around has been to add the person's name and title in the Notes section of the business contact. Does anyone know of a way to have the business and individual's name entered at the top of the entry, yet display only the business name in my alphabetical list of all contacts?

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I noticed that when I have someone calling that I have a Company Name assign to it, it will flash the name of the company below the person's name. It will flip between the label of the number and the company name.

Edit: just realize you're only talking about the Contact name in the list. Sorry. I do not know how to fix that.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yeah, it's a pain, but if you have a Mac and or use iCloud for Contacts syncing, those are your work-around.

If you create the contact initially in either iCloud or Mac Contacts, it "locks in" the company name.

On Mac, click on the "Company" check-box and fill out all the other info.

On iCloud, create the contact with just the company name, number, etc (ie. don't put in a name) and save. Then go back in and edit the card to add the name.

But, on iOS, if you try to change any of the name fields, it becomes a "person" entry (one of those inconsistencies between Apple products and services using same data that tick me off [see also: calendar, reminders]). But can reverse on Mac by checking the "Company" field. iCloud, delete name, save, reenter name to toggle back to company.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Have you tried the "Edit Card" command (Edit button or Command-L) when a contact is selected, then selecting the "Company" checkbox below the name fields? That's what I use.

Checking that "Company" box puts the company name at the heading and in your contacts list - unchecking that "Company" puts the contact name at the header and in the contacts list. And, my iPhone and iPad see them the same way my Mac does, once they sync...

The Contacts app has had that option for at least 5 years AFAIK.

I see you're in Austin. If this helps, you can mail me some Blue Bell Peaches & Cream ice cream...

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Have you tried the "Edit Card" command (Edit button or Command-L) when a contact is selected, then selecting the "Company" checkbox below the name fields? That's what I use.

Checking that "Company" box puts the company name at the heading and in your contacts list - unchecking that "Company" puts the contact name at the header and in the contacts list. And, my iPhone and iPad see them the same way my Mac does, once they sync...

The Contacts app has had that option for at least 5 years AFAIK.

I see you're in Austin. If this helps, you can mail me some Blue Bell Peaches & Cream ice cream...

The checkbox you mention exists in the contacts app on the desktop, but not on the iOS devices. If you check it as a business in the desktop and sync it to your iDevice, it works okay and displays properly by business name. However, if you edit the contact for any reason from the IDevice, it loses that checked preference. You would then need to open it back up on the desktop and recheck it as a business...

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I have several businesses I deal with and have them listed in my contacts under the business name. When I try to add the primary individual contact as well, the person's name supercedes the business name in my Contact's list.

My only work-around has been to add the person's name and title in the Notes section of the business contact. Does anyone know of a way to have the business and individual's name entered at the top of the entry, yet display only the business name in my alphabetical list of all contacts?

I didn't understand what's your issue.. Can u expain it in another way,

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
I didn't understand what's your issue.. Can u expain it in another way,

When he creates a contact, he has the primary person's first/last name and then the Company name. In the contact list, it will display the primary person's name instead of the Company/business name. If he is working with a bunch of Businesses, he does not always know each primary person's name but rather the actual Business' name. So having the business name displayed would be easier to identify in the contact list.

The method that is describe above where you have to edit from the desktop works, but it will only work if you do it from the desktop application and not from the iDevice

Reactions: jagooch

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Could the convention be flipped just for those contacts? Basically put the business name into the first and/or last name fields and then the contact name into the business name field?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The checkbox you mention exists in the contacts app on the desktop, but not on the iOS devices. If you check it as a business in the desktop and sync it to your iDevice, it works okay and displays properly by business name. However, if you edit the contact for any reason from the IDevice, it loses that checked preference. You would then need to open it back up on the desktop and recheck it as a business...
My bad. I'd taken to using the desktop after Apple removed the ability to edit the fields in the Contacts app when iOS 6 came out. I remember stewing over that at the time...

We use two inexpensive apps to sort through our contacts. Simpler Pro (there's a free version too) has a "filters" section that offers the ability to sort by embedded business name, but it also has other features. The quicker, easier, dedicated app for filtering contacts every which way is Contact Magic - you can't go wrong for $1 - it hasn't been updated for a while, but it works fine on our iPhone 5 and 6 handsets.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
My bad. I'd taken to using the desktop after Apple removed the ability to edit the fields in the Contacts app when iOS 6 came out. I remember stewing over that at the time...

We use two inexpensive apps to sort through our contacts. Simpler Pro (there's a free version too) has a "filters" section that offers the ability to sort by embedded business name, but it also has other features. The quicker, easier, dedicated app for filtering contacts every which way is Contact Magic - you can't go wrong for $1 - it hasn't been updated for a while, but it works fine on our iPhone 5 and 6 handsets.

I think I'll give those a try. I'm getting tired of dealing with the stock contacts apps, and having to try to stay on top of the bizarre nuances (or should I call them bugs?) that Apple doesn't seem too worried about fixing...

Reactions: pkrohn

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

Ok I got Your problem.. Someone commented on my comment and explained...

So basically you want a contact which shows you a business name when you are scrolling your contacts and when u tap to see, it shows the personal name... How about this as a turn around if u don't want to go through the desktop.. Set the primary first name as a business name(and not personal) and give it a nickname which is the personal name.. That way u can call him either by his personal name or nick name and u will always get a call with his business name showing...and when you search the contact name , you can use his business name or his personal name ... In your contacts list you will be shown his business name..

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I enter the company name as the first name then for example with work each specific number has a custom tag next to it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:

twowinns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
Let me know if I still qualify for a half-gallon of BB Peaches & Cream... :p

Campyguy - you definitely qualify. I'm just wondering how I get it to you without melting. :) I tell you what...next time you're in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, PM me. I'll meet up with you and bring the Blue Bell. If you're set on having the Peaches and Cream, you might have to come in the summer months. I think that's a seasonal flavor.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Campyguy - you definitely qualify. I'm just wondering how I get it to you without melting. :) I tell you what...next time you're in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, PM me. I'll meet up with you and bring the Blue Bell. If you're set on having the Peaches and Cream, you might have to come in the summer months. I think that's a seasonal flavor.
Bonus! I'll remember that. FWIW, a guy in Naples still owes me a cup of expresso next time I'm there - for a Wacom tablet I sold about 10 years ago!

BB does ship in dry ice for holiday deals (2-packs), so I'll ring you up. I lived in Austin about 30 years ago, worked for an HEB while going to college - that's how I discovered Blue Bell. Peaches & Cream, yes, it's seasonal, but Pralines & Cream works too! I'm planning to get down your way next summer, so I'll keep this about. And, FWIW, I really, really miss Falfurrias butter and real BBQ too! :p Take care, have a great weekend, and glad I could help out!

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Show Company Name in contacts

Hi everyone!

I do not have a Mac, so I must do everything in iOS!

Before iOS7 this used to be perfectly possible: if we wanted to insert a Company and also its representative's first and last name, but display the COMPANY NAME in the contacts list, the M.O. was:

1. Insert COMPANY NAME, in the "Company" field. And ONLY this field.
2. Insert Telephone number
3. SAVE contact
4. Edit Contact AGAIN and, only now, insert FIRST and LAST name of the Company's representative in the "First Name" and "Last Name" fields.
5. SAVE again

So, this way, when you saved a new contact ONLY with a company name, iOS would know that it was a company contact and would display the company name (even if you add later a representative's first and last name).

On the other hand, if you create a new contact, filling up the first and last name fields, the iOS would know it is a person's contact, always displaying the First and Last name in the contacts (even if you add later a company name).

But after iOS7, this is no possible now.. It's very irritating... :mad::mad::mad:

How can I make this work in iOS now?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
When I want the business to display only I add the primary contact into the notes field of the contact so as I choose the business to dial I can already see who I need to ask for when they answer the phone.

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
Thank you, but I really like to have my contact database very well organized. It makes no sense (to me) to have a First and Last persons name in a "notes" field... I will later synchronize contacts with other applications and the first and last name are not going to be there...

If MAC can do that (mark contact as a "Company" type), there must be other applications to do that, right?

When I want the business to display only I add the primary contact into the notes field of the contact so as I choose the business to dial I can already see who I need to ask for when they answer the phone.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Thank you, but I really like to have my contact database very well organized. It makes no sense (to me) to have a First and Last persons name in a "notes" field... I will later synchronize contacts with other applications and the first and last name are not going to be there...

If MAC can do that (mark contact as a "Company" type), there must be other applications to do that, right?

Well then hopefully Apple will make a change in a future release to allow you to choose which to display the business or the person.

thefrizzycat

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
I've been irritated by this as well. I was tried the work around listed above then I realized that if I have more than one contact from a company I end up with two entries with the same business name.~ Maybe that's why Apple changed it:)

Reactions: jbachandouris

flyingspur

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2013
Dallas TX
This is the best solution. It's what I do to.
Agree this. But having so many custom tags is a pain.

You would think Apple could add a "display by" company name selection in settings, contacts like they have the
persons name, first or last. Or on that contact page.

Olivestone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018

[doublepost=1534536831][/doublepost]EDIT Add the individual’s contact name as RELATED NAME choose your own description.
DELETE the individuals name, leave the COMPANY NAME.
Then only the Company Name will be listed.
When searching by the Individual Name, the Company Card will show.

cob666

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Old thread but still relevant. I also find the way that contacts are listed on iOS and MacOS frustrating. If you have multiple contacts at any given company, there is no simple way to have the list of contacts show the company name AND the contact name. If you flag the contact as a company then ONLY the company name shows in the list, otherwise the contact is listed by name.

This is how I have been getting around this 'feature'...
I leave the first and last name fields empty and put all the information into the company field, as such:
Apple - Jobs, Steve
Apple - Cook, Tim
Apple - Schiller, Phil

The contacts on my iPhone and on my Mac now sort by Company and I can see the contact name right in the list. Also, if I search my contacts for Steve, this entry still comes up and if I search for Apple, they all come up. I know this is NOT a nice workaround but it works for me.

Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.