Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My personal take on it? It's VERY expensive for the design. It looks like something a high school woodshop student would make. Nothing wrong with that, but for a designer price, I would expect designer furniture. Just my opinion.

Right, where we're buying something run-of-the-mill, items we know have sort of a "built in" moderate life cycle, we go mid-grade, or for simple little things even go ultra low cost, but where we wanted some kind of very "designed" piece, we shop some boutique stores, either distributors for unique, high end low production, or low volume, unique hand crafted (like some of our HM and imported pieces in the bar room, bedroom furniture custom, handmade from Oregon, etc.)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Something that hasn't been mentioned here (surprisingly) is sustainability. There's a guy I met this year who harvests trees that are stormed damaged or otherwise going to be removed for use as tables. If he didn't make furniture out of them, they would end up as firewood or wood chips as the lumber mills would see them as low grade logs and they have too high of a risk of containing metal.

Here's the thing about sustainability - it comes with a price as working with non-uniform wood means customization and time.

Check out Elko Hardwoods, Tresslewood, What We Make, The Urban Wood Lab, and UrbanWood.org for examples.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I was hoping to make a suggestion but haven’t a clue on your tastes. Since you mention Amish I’ll post this.

I used to live a few minutes from Amana and bought several custom pieces there. It’s all hand made and signed by the artisan. Be prepared to wait up to six months and longer.

If you’re willing to pay the prices you mentioned for some heirlooms then you should travel there. They have several pieces on display to buy on the spot. You can sit with the staff and design custom pieces.

https://www.amanashops.com/category/amana-furniture-shop

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I was hoping to make a suggestion but haven’t a clue on your tastes. Since you mention Amish I’ll post this.

I used to live a few minutes from Amana and bought several custom pieces there. It’s all hand made and signed by the artisan. Be prepared to wait up to six months and longer.

If you’re willing to pay the prices you mentioned for some heirlooms then you should travel there. They have several pieces on display to buy on the spot. You can sit with the staff and design custom pieces.

https://www.amanashops.com/category/amana-furniture-shop

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm befuddled at the confusion in this thread. It's my fault for not communicating properly.

To be frank, design is completely irrelevant to the discussion, it's the quality of materials that I want to know about. IKEA makes furniture with passable to great design but the quality of materials are not great. I am hoping to find a way to spot, regardless of design, quality material. In the end, something that has a great aesthetic design but poor craftsmanship is a poor purchase, unless you do so intentionally (such as IKEA).

I mention Amish because, from what I can tell, the products are sourced, hard wood. In contrast to Wal-Mart or a furniture store which may overcharge for subpar materials.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm befuddled at the confusion in this thread. It's my fault for not communicating properly.

To be frank, design is completely irrelevant to the discussion, it's the quality of materials that I want to know about. IKEA makes furniture with passable to great design but the quality of materials are not great. I am hoping to find a way to spot, regardless of design, quality material. In the end, something that has a great aesthetic design but poor craftsmanship is a poor purchase, unless you do so intentionally (such as IKEA).

I mention Amish because, from what I can tell, the products are sourced, hard wood. In contrast to Wal-Mart or a furniture store which may overcharge for subpar materials.

Not to be snobbish, but at $2-15k for a table IKEA comparisons aren’t particularly helpful. If you like early American style—unambiguously solid wood—handcrafted artisan pieces custom or not - this is a start. I might have leads in the Southern California area in more modernist designs, domestic and imports. Perhaps hiring a designer and giving them your requirements is a uncomplicated approach to narrowing down your tastes and finding a resourse.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Not to be snobbish, but at $2-15k for a table IKEA comparisons aren’t particularly helpful. If you like early American style—unambiguously solid wood—handcrafted artisan pieces custom or not - this is a start. I might have leads in the Southern California area in more modernist designs, domestic and imports. Perhaps hiring a designer and giving them your requirements is a uncomplicated approach to narrowing down your tastes and finding a resourse.

This is like saying you can't compare a used Honda Civic and a Ferrari - you can. The trick is to know what you're buying. Design is absolutely irrelevant - material is what I'm concerned about, and then design can come after taking into account the materials. My goal is to understand the material value. A well-designed $15,000 table is not something I'd buy if it's not also made of extremely high-quality materials. I'd rather buy a cheap table from Ikea where I know the value.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
This is like saying you can't compare a used Honda Civic and a Ferrari - you can. The trick is to know what you're buying. Design is absolutely irrelevant - material is what I'm concerned about, and then design can come after taking into account the materials. My goal is to understand the material value. A well-designed $15,000 table is not something I'd buy if it's not also made of extremely high-quality materials. I'd rather buy a cheap table from Ikea where I know the value.

Good luck.

Reactions: Matz and Tomorrow

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
How would you compare a used Civic and a Ferrari? People were kind enough to help but you actually don’t seem vaguely ready.

In this case you would... ya know.. look at the materials? The ability of the engine to produce horsepower, etc.

People have been kind to try to help, but there has been some apparent confusion - as soon as people started discussing design I knew we were off the mark. Design is 100% completely and absolutely irrelevant.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm enjoying cheap champagne myself - I'm not sure why you're offended by the discussion. Sucks. I just want to know what quality furniture should be.

People in this thread have been trying to tell you what quality furniture should be, but you keep rejecting the advice.

We’ve been telling you to look at the build quality, the design, etc. you seem hell-bent on ONLY considering the raw materials.

A Ferrari and a Yugo are both made out of steel.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
People in this thread have been trying to tell you what quality furniture should be, but you keep rejecting the advice.

We’ve been telling you to look at the build quality, the design, etc. you seem hell-bent on ONLY considering the raw materials.

Thank you.

The OP has sought advice, but because it isn't what he wishes to hear, (or read), he discards it.

For the last time: Visit stores - small family stores, antiques stores, good quality brands (Amish? Italian?) and phone ahead to make appointments if necessary.

Then, ask to see stuff. By "stuff", I mean examples of the kind of furniture you are interested in. Ask questions - what makes this a well made piece? Why is this considered to be good? What wood is it made from? Does the work of certain craftsmen, carpenters, brands attract a premium? Listen, learn and remember.

I cannot undertone your obsession with price; a piece of furniture is something that you will have to live with - liking the wood, (and yes, different woods have different qualities, pine is a lot cheaper than other woods, but I like it less), the design, the craftsmanship would matter more to me.

Then, the task is to find a version of that, that you can afford. Forget mark-up nonsense, and, if necessary, find a bright young (or experienced old) carpenter, and ask - can you produce a good version of something like this? Can you source the wood? What would you charge?
[doublepost=1534582514][/doublepost]
I'm enjoying cheap champagne myself - I'm not sure why you're offended by the discussion. Sucks. I just want to know what quality furniture should be.

I don't.

Personally, I'd rather sip good quality mineral water, than cheap champagne.

But, if that is your preference, so be it.

However, people on this thread have been telling you what quality furniture is, or may be, and how to educate yourself to identify it - I can't decide what you will like, as our personal tastes will differ - but you seem obsessed by mark-up, which to me, is the least relevant element in the discussion.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America

People have been offering advice and I appreciate it and I am taking the advice, but I still have questions that haven’t been answered.

Oh ok so how do you judge the build quality? And I am not sure why we keep ending up talking about design. IKEA makes well-designed furniture yet it’s cheap particle board. My local furniture store makes furniture that appears to be well designed, yet it’s $1500 for cheap wood. So you would go to a furniture store and say well jeez this table sure does look nice - the saleswoman says oh yes and it’s made of REAL WOOD and off you go? If so you just got ripped off.

Different quality steel for sure. And the car analogy is not great anyway, but certainly you can look at the Ferrari and say well the seats are handmade leather from free-range gluten free cows or whatever and the engine is built so that it can achieve this speed in this amount of time, etc etc. and not a single one of these items has anything to do with design.
[doublepost=1534593179][/doublepost]
Thank you.

The OP has sought advice, but because it isn't what he wishes to hear, (or read), he discards it.

For the last time: Visit stores - small family stores, antiques stores, good quality brands (Amish? Italian?) and phone ahead to make appointments if necessary.

Ok. Let’s say you want to buy a computer. You come on a forum and ask about what size RAM, processor speed, and whatever and we say go to the computer store and ask the sales guy. How is that helpful if you don’t even understand the difference in these items, or how much they typically cost? You’d get fleeced. “Oh you need 16 GB of RAM - that’ll be $800 for the high quality stuff”.

Then, ask to see stuff. By "stuff", I mean examples of the kind of furniture you are interested in. Ask questions - what makes this a well made piece? Why is this considered to be good? What wood is it made from? Does the work of certain craftsmen, carpenters, brands attract a premium? Listen, learn and remember.

Sure, but this needs to be balanced versus unbiased advice that I can obtain from my own research. I need to know what to be skeptical about and what are the right questions to ask to ensure that somebody doesn’t say “well this is the best walnut wood on earth and it’s super cheap here too!”

I cannot undertone your obsession with price; a piece of furniture is something that you will have to live with - liking the wood, (and yes, different woods have different qualities, pine is a lot cheaper than other woods, but I like it less), the design, the craftsmanship would matter more to me.

Then, the task is to find a version of that, that you can afford. Forget mark-up nonsense, and, if necessary, find a bright young (or experienced old) carpenter, and ask - can you produce a good version of something like this? Can you source the wood?

I am concerned with price relative to quality - not price alone. At IKEA I know the going rate for particle board furniture and I can look at other stores that sell cheap furniture and compare. You can’t really do this for other price points (that I’ve been able to see so far).

Personally, I'd rather sip good quality mineral water, than cheap champagne.

I’d rather have beensipping Rochefort10 but beggars can’t be choosers :(

However, people on this thread have been telling you what quality furniture is, or may be, and how to educate yourself to identify it - I can't decide what you will like, as our personal tastes will differ - but you seem obsessed by mark-up, which to me, is the least relevant element in the discussion.

Why would you not be concerned about overpaying for things or at least know that you’re overpaying? I honestly don’t understand.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
People have been offering advice and I appreciate it and I am taking the advice, but I still have questions that haven’t been answered.

Actually, I suspect that you have ideas that you wish to have reinforced, rather than questions that cannot be answered.

Oh ok so how do you judge the build quality? And I am not sure why we keep ending up talking about design. IKEA makes well-designed furniture yet it’s cheap particle board. My local furniture store makes furniture that appears to be well designed, yet it’s $1500 for cheap wood. So you would go to a furniture store and say well jeez this table sure does look nice - the saleswoman says oh yes and it’s made of REAL WOOD and off you go? If so you just got ripped off.

Firstly, not all IKEA furniture is particle board; some - obviously, the more expensive - are made from solid wood. Research their sites, brochures, and shops. Learn to tell the difference.

Ask questions.

Secondly, you ask, and I assume, you are then able to remember and learn and can apply - or use - the information you have acquired to inform the questions you ask elsewhere.

Is it rocket science to go into a furniture that is supposed to be good (ask, check online, read reviews) and ask them to show you every - for example desk or writing table, they have.

Ask: What is the difference between them? Which is considered to be better? Why? How does the craftsmanship differ? What about the wood - quality, age, natural or veneer or particle? is it handmade or machine made?

Different quality steel for sure. And the car analogy is not great anyway, but certainly you can look at the Ferrari and say well the seats are handmade leather from free-range gluten free cows or whatever and the engine is built so that it can achieve this speed in this amount of time, etc etc. and not a single one of these items has anything to do with design.

I beg to differ.

Every single one of those things has to do with good design.

Good design is a fusion of form and function so that the product in question does what it is supposed to do, but is both stylish and classy.

Ok. Let’s say you want to buy a computer. You come on a forum and ask about what size RAM, processor speed, and whatever and we say go to the computer store and ask the sales guy. How is that helpful if you don’t even understand the difference in these items, or how much they typically cost? You’d get fleeced. “Oh you need 16 GB of RAM - that’ll be $800 for the high quality stuff”.

Sigh:

Do you think I bought a computer on a whim? Seriously?

Or without doing sufficient research or due diligence?

Before I bought my first computer, in the 1990s, when I was a postgrad, I had asked someone who knew about - and had worked with - computers to accompany me to examine every computer that I looked at (I bought used, the first two occasions) - yes, the process took weeks - my mother drove us to these places; he examined every computer - and advised me on each - no, that is insufficient memory, that guy is asking too much, this will be obsolete, and so on. I took his advice.

Others advised me - you wear glasses, make sure you get a decent screen. Yet others made suggestions as to what someone who did what I did - a teacher and researcher - would need and should look out for.

By the end of that process, - which lasted six weeks or so - I had some idea of what I should buy and what sort of price I should expect to pay.

I do the same for white goods - drive to every reputable (and reputable matters) getting observations on brands, and quality, and price. I don't always take such advice, but one can aggregate it - and factor in one's own preferences, as well.

And, I did the same for when I switched to Apple - that research took around five months.

And a final aside: The "best walnut on earth" will not be super-cheap. Ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomorrow

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
there are plenty of other stores that have good quality furniture not for super expensive. Z gallerie or cb2 are one of my favorites. It just depends on your taste of things really. Quality depends on who you ask also. A lot of the kitchen stuff used in Ikea furniture isnt really cheap also its good quality especially the hardware which they get from other quality manufactures. Some Ikea stuff is cheap but there are good finds for good prices you just have to look. If you want more custom type furniture and money isnt an issue have everything one off built for you to what you want with the fabric down to the foam. Wood to steal. ive had a few items hand made with a little help from me and paying other people to finish some details.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
In this case you would... ya know.. look at the materials? The ability of the engine to produce horsepower, etc.

People have been kind to try to help, but there has been some apparent confusion - as soon as people started discussing design I knew we were off the mark. Design is 100% completely and absolutely irrelevant.

Not even slightly relevant? You wouldn't buy a penis shaped couch made of high quality materials would you? :)

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Actually, I suspect that you have ideas that you wish to have reinforced, rather than questions that cannot be answered.

What ideas are you suspecting that I have reinforced?

Firstly, not all IKEA furniture is particle board; some - obviously, the more expensive - is solid wood. Research their sites, brochures, and shops. Learn to tell the difference.

Ask questions.

Secondly, you ask, and I assume, you are then able to remember and learn and can apply - or use - the information you have acquired to inform the questions you ask elsewhere.

Is it rocket science to go into a furniture that is supposed to be good (ask, check online, read reviews) and ask them to show you every - for example desk or writing table, they have.

Ask: What is the difference between them?

Yes some IKEA furniture is solid wood - but I highly doubt that they will give be an unbiased view of the quality of their wood.

Do you know any good online resources? I've seen some - that's how I came to be of the opinion that furniture from a place like Restoration Hardware is probably not a good purchase - but their linen is.

Which is considered to be better? Why? How does the craftsmanship differ? What about the wood - quality, age, natural or veneer or particle? is it handmade or machine made?

Yes these are questions I want answers and advice to. So far the best advice was the difference between pine and oak wood for surfaces and couches.

Is there a difference in quality between handmade and machine made? That's a good question.

I beg to differ.

Every single one of those things has to do with good design.

Good design is a fusion of form and function so that the product in question does what it is supposed to do, but is both stylish and classy.

It's not a good analogy anyway - but something better to think would be buying a suit or a cashmere sweater. I can buy a cashmere blend sweater for $40 or something that looks identical to a $1800 cashmere sweater from Hermes. The design is the same, the material is not.

Sigh:

Do you think I bought a computer on a whim? Seriously?

Or without doing sufficient research or due diligence?

Before I bought my first computer, in the 1990s, when I was a postgrad, I had asked someone who knew about - and had worked with - computers to accompany me to examine every computer that I looked at (I bought used, the first two occasions) - yes, the process took weeks - my mother drove us to these places; he examined every computer - and advised me on each - no, that is insufficient memory, that guy is asking too much, this will be obsolete, and so on. I took his advice.

Others advised me - you wear glasses, make sure you get a decent screen. Yet others made suggestions as to what someone who did what I did - a teacher and researcher - would need and should look out for.

By the end of that process, - which lasted six weeks or so - I had some idea of what I should buy and what sort of price I should expect to pay.

I do the same for white goods - drive to every reputable (and reputable matters) getting observations on brands, and quality, and price. I don't always take such advice, but one can aggregate it - and factor in one's own preferences, as well.

And, I did the same for when I switched to Apple - that research took around five months.

The bold I think highlights the crux of the matter here. What is a decent screen? That's what I'm trying to get at here. Because of my experience I can tell you what a decent screen probably is - and that applies no matter what computer you look at.

But how can you explain what a decent walnut table is?

And a final aside: The "best walnut on earth" will not be super-cheap. Ever.

Obviously I was being hyperbolic.
[doublepost=1534596403][/doublepost]
Not even slightly relevant? You wouldn't buy a penis shaped couch made of high quality materials would you? :)

It's relevant at a later stage - after it's possible to identify what quality is and what prices are too high.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
oh yeah?

If you disagree with me one more time, I'm gonna beat ya' over the head with the steel/wood bedpost that just fell off my particle board infested iKea superduperset bed frame with xpolyfoam full-sized mattress!

so there!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Good morning! The only way I know to evaluate the quality of construction and materials is to travel to the venue to research and examine the workmanship in person. I thought that was obvious so jumped to offering one company in your proximity...once you mentioned Amish style.

Selecting covered furniture v. solid wood are obviously different.

So here’s a link to the Amana site I offered earlier. I’m not pushing the Amanas as the best. They are just one semi-local resource of quality solid wood furniture.

https://www.amanashops.com/furniture-and-clock-shop

The Amana Difference

Amana furniture has been handmade by master craftsmen for decades. That’s no secret. But you may not know just how meticulous our master woodworkers are in achieving the top quality possible. Here are just a few ways our craftsmen create beautiful furniture that will last a lifetime:

furniture-section5-icon1.png

Dovetailed Joints
The dovetail is the best way to join two pieces of wood along their width. Each neatly cut dovetail interlocks, creating a joint that can resist enormous strain. Our drawers are dovetailed on both the front and back, providing one of the strongest builds possible.

furniture-section5-icon2.png

Double Mortise and Tenon Joint
That’s right, two of ‘em. We hand-cut our mortises and our tenons to fit together perfectly. This type of joint creates increased gluing surface, making it much stronger than cheap dowel rods used elsewhere.

furniture-section5-icon3.png

Carefully Matched Wood Grain
Every piece of wood is unique, meaning not all two pieces look great next to one another. We carefully match the wood grain on each plank in our furniture to ensure a natural, consistent look across the piece. Some might call us crazy; we prefer “perfectionists”.

furniture-section5-icon4.png

Personally Crafted, Start to Finish
In an age where most everything is produced in giant factories, we continue to prove that machines can’t build furniture like we can. At Amana, your furniture is made by one craftsman, from the first nail to the finishing touches. And when they’re done, they sign their name to it as a testament to its quality.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a question that's been on my mind for awhile so I'm hoping I can get some great responses from the community here :).

So, as a potential purchaser of furniture I want to buy something that lasts and I'm willing to pay for the value. I've look at regular furniture stores, but for the money it just seems like cheap particleboard crap from China. I look at Restoration Hardware and I'm skeptical again that their furniture is worth anything near the cost - but they get the designs right, mostly.

So usually that leaves me at Ikea. I know what I'm getting from Ikea and I'm ok with that - but now I want to buy really nice furniture that will last.

How do you go about buying furniture? Any tips? I hear a lot about "Amish furniture" and if it's good stuff I'm willing to pay. But where can I find a real oak desk or table? I have no clue.

Any help?

My wife and I have always seen eye to eye on furniture and the value of quality, often expensive furniture. We bought our canopy bed for about $4800 about 25 years ago and that was on sale at 50% off. (I’m not saying you have to spend that much to get quality furniture.) Our preference is Queen Anne and Chippendale style furniture. In contrast we have friends who buy junk and they seem to be constantly cycling through new junk furniture. We’ve had most of our significant pieces for 20-25 years and they look as good as the day we bought them. I don’t insist that you choose the same styles, but they have always appealed to us. :D

Also, I’ll acknowledge that furniture tastes with the younger generation are changing, and we could be hard pressed to ever sell our massive dining room china cabinet, second image. Am I right that today many young people don’t want big furniture?

71304207-1099-464B-8A7F-5909EE82E7EE.jpeg

2B9632AB-2CD3-4CB6-93AD-39E1327513C7.jpeg

Oak vs other woods: when I was young I loved oak furniture, but as my tastes changed with experience, aging, I now lean towards less grainy woods, but this is personal taste. Cherry, mahogany, ebony and rose woods result in the most refined appearing furniture and we avoid contemporary styles, but real ebony and rosewood maybe on the endangered list. We prefer deep, rich red stains, never brown. To repeat, personal taste, but dark reds and mahogany’s beat brown any day. ;)

For quality, and wood furniture, avoid discount stores, no particle board allowed. Construction must be hard woods and furniture quality veneers/plywood. Typically drawers will have tongue and groove joints, not nailed or screwed. I really don’t have a good sense of how much you should be paying for quality these days, but check out an Ethan Allen if there are any still around for calibration.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Good morning! The only way I know to evaluate the quality of construction and materials is to travel to venue to research and examine the workmanship in person. I thought that was obvious so jumped to offering one company in your proximity...once you mentioned Amish style.

Selecting covered furniture v. solid wood are obviously different.

So here’s a link to the Amana site I offered earlier. I’m not pushing Amana as the best. They are just one semi-local resourse of quality solid wood furniture.

https://www.amanashops.com/furniture-and-clock-shop

The Amana Difference

Amana furniture has been handmade by master craftsmen for decades. That’s no secret. But you may not know just how meticulous our master woodworkers are in achieving the top quality possible. Here are just a few ways our craftsmen create beautiful furniture that will last a lifetime:

furniture-section5-icon1.png

Dovetailed Joints
The dovetail is the best way to join two pieces of wood along their width. Each neatly cut dovetail interlocks, creating a joint that can resist enormous strain. Our drawers are dovetailed on both the front and back, providing one of the strongest builds possible.

furniture-section5-icon2.png

Double Mortise and Tenon Joint
That’s right, two of ‘em. We hand-cut our mortises and our tenons to fit together perfectly. This type of joint creates increased gluing surface, making it much stronger than cheap dowel rods used elsewhere.

furniture-section5-icon3.png

Carefully Matched Wood Grain
Every piece of wood is unique, meaning not all two pieces look great next to one another. We carefully match the wood grain on each plank in our furniture to ensure a natural, consistent look across the piece. Some might call us crazy; we prefer “perfectionists”.

furniture-section5-icon4.png

Personally Crafted, Start to Finish
In an age where most everything is produced in giant factories, we continue to prove that machines can’t build furniture like we can. At Amana, your furniture is made by one craftsman, from the first nail to the finishing touches. And when they’re done, they sign their name to it as a testament to its quality.

and Lincoln is the capitol of Nebraska!

Reactions: Gutwrench
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.