Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Setup Your Homescreen?

• Total voters

Howl's Castle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Hello. How do you set up your home screen, and why do you set it up that way? (Screenshots are encouraged, but not required)

I set mine up with my most used apps (which happen to all be Microsoft) and folders. I don't have a second page because it feels cluttered.

What about you?

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I categorize my apps and then place them in the appropriate folder. I only have the one page thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.PNG
    IMG_0067.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 732

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Most used on the first screen. Folders and lesser used on the next page, and so on. I usually leave a blank row at the bottom to make sure I can easily switch pages without launching an app accidentally.

IMG_4125.jpg IMG_4126.jpg

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
First, I'm jail-broken...so I can fit everything on the home screen. A second screen holds my unused and trial apps I may be evaluating.

I group by function and position it to my preference.

image.png image.png

Clean and easy to get to everything...
why Apple insists on controlling some customization of the screen is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My home screen is both stock apps and alphabetical ordering.
For example,
Second Row: Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Weather.
Third Row: Calculator, Clock, Maps, Stocks
Fourth Row: Camera, FaceTime, Photos, Voice Memos.

And so on for rows 1/5/6.

Finchly

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2017
What sort of psychopath sets theirs up by color? Most used for me with the messaging apps in a folder in the dock with phone, chrome and gmail.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What sort of psychopath sets theirs up by color? Most used for me with the messaging apps in a folder in the dock with phone, chrome and gmail.

Yeah because a psychopath arranges things by color... :rolleyes:
I guess the majority of people are psychopaths because they arrange their clothes in their closet by color.

Reactions: Howl's Castle

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Don't you think it is surprising that most every poster has their own idea about how to use their iPhone?
My, oh my... I am shocked, and dismayed that no one else uses their iPhone just like I do.
Mine, of course, is the only possible correct method for sorting and display of apps and icons (which I refuse to share with a screen shot, so there!) (for a hint, I use the middle name of the developer's mother to sort alpha-magnetically by favorite food... as a start)
I am not crazy, my mother had me tested.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Into folders, that don't really have a rhyme nor reason for their order. Categorized and ordered by habit I guess.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I have a few apps not in folders, then a folder full of stock apps, and a folder full of downloaded apps. I mainly use spotlight/app suggestions to open apps.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
First, I'm jail-broken...so I can fit everything on the home screen. A second screen holds my unused and trial apps I may be evaluating.

I group by function and position it to my preference.

View attachment 690062 View attachment 690063

Clean and easy to get to everything...
why Apple insists on controlling some customization of the screen is silly.
Damn I miss my five column homescreen/icon dock.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
The apps I use most are going to be on the lower right hand side so they're easily reached (iPhone 7 Plus lol)
IMG_1529_zpsnfsnary9.png

Reactions: blaine07

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I found out that two pages work best for my needs, never liked having many pages, or one page full of folders -
- First page - most used apps in 3 rows.
- Second page - other apps im having but using them only few times a year inside 2 rows folders.
- Dock - phone and messaging apps.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
One page, apps are inside folders (banking, net, photo...). Everyday apps are on the page and on the dock. Folders are in alphabetical order and i tend to organize apps on the page abit matching to each others (e.g. by colours) to look more balanced than chaotic setup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.