Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm thinking of getting a few Sonos to scatter around my condo but I'm wondering if they would be as convenient as AirPlay. I currently have one Harman Kardon AirPlay speaker and a couple of portable Bluetooth speakers. All of my speakers and AppleTVs show up under the AirPlay button in Control Center and the Apple Music app.

Does Sonos show up in the AirPlay list or do you have to use the Sonos app for everything?

60rixn9.jpg

A mix of AirPlay and Bluetooth speakers show in the AirPlay drop down list. Would Sonos show up here?

Last edited:

DallasManic

Suspended
May 2, 2016
I'm thinking of getting a few Sonos to scatter around my condo but I'm wondering if they would be as convenient as AirPlay. I currently have one Harman Kardon AirPlay speaker and a couple of portable Bluetooth speakers. All of my speakers and AppleTVs show up under the AirPlay button in Control Center and the Apple Music app.

Does Sonos show up in the AirPlay list or do you have to use the Sonos app for everything?
Did you go to the best buy , and check them out ? or you can search youtube

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
As expected, YouTube videos show the Sonos app, not if it works as I described I need it to. That's why I'm asking here. People who own a Sonos will know.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

Hi
There are work arounds (appleTV or airport express and airPlay) but the SONOS product has to have line-in. Also I find airPlay a tad flakey and have stopped using it except with watching a youTube concert (airport express line in to Play 5 1st gen).

SONOS products that have line in-
  • PLAY:5 (gen2)
  • PLAY:5 (gen1)
  • CONNECT
  • CONNECT:AMP
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/~/using-line-in-on-sonos

so you would need one of the four above with your appleTV connected via 3.5mm and then airPlay from apple music app to the appletv
and these three item - https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Phon...t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0K15M761HB8DEVF9M8HP and

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Reactions: ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thank you for the reply. This is not at all what I was hoping for. Plugging in via AirPlay defeats the purpose of Sonos' own wireless protocol and zoning. I was just hoping that Sonos would show up in the audio output button in iOS like all other AirPlay and Bluetooth speakers do.

I will probably end up getting more AirPlay speakers instead. AirPlay used to be flaky on the Harman Kardon Aura that I own but they updated the firmware and now it works flawlessly. Bad AirPlay performance could also be network related. I use an Airport Extreme so that everything in the line is Apple built or licensed.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
If you run a mac that is permanently on, look into airsonos. If you are comfortable working with the command line one time it enables airplay to individual Sonos speakers on the same network.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thank you for the reply. This is not at all what I was hoping for. Plugging in via AirPlay defeats the purpose of Sonos' own wireless protocol and zoning. I was just hoping that Sonos would show up in the audio output button in iOS like all other AirPlay and Bluetooth speakers do.

I will probably end up getting more AirPlay speakers instead. AirPlay used to be flaky on the Harman Kardon Aura that I own but they updated the firmware and now it works flawlessly. Bad AirPlay performance could also be network related. I use an Airport Extreme so that everything in the line is Apple built or licensed.

The Airplay via Airport Express option actually works quite well - if you have multiple speakers you can route the airplay sound to any of them (or all of them at once).

For example, I've got various sonos devices scattered around the house and a single Play:5 with an airport express plugged into it. I can airplay to that one and play sound on any of the speakers (it just appears as an input like a music service)

Having said that, I set the Airplay up before Apple music was available on Sonos and hardly ever use it now as the Sonos app has all my music sources built into it and once you get used to it, it's not that inconvenient (plus it doesn't use power on your phone to keep playing)

Reactions: deany

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The Airplay via Airport Express option actually works quite well - if you have multiple speakers you can route the airplay sound to any of them (or all of them at once).

For example, I've got various sonos devices scattered around the house and a single Play:5 with an airport express plugged into it. I can airplay to that one and play sound on any of the speakers (it just appears as an input like a music service)

Having said that, I set the Airplay up before Apple music was available on Sonos and hardly ever use it now as the Sonos app has all my music sources built into it and once you get used to it, it's not that inconvenient (plus it doesn't use power on your phone to keep playing)

Very much like my setup.
[doublepost=1472744595][/doublepost]

Hi
when you say "plugging in" you don't mean the iPhone do you? just wanted to make sure
cheers

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Typically, if you want to use Sonos you have to use their app. Some people dislike this. I'm ok with it given the stability the Sonos brings to my home audio streaming (stability I hadn't been able to achieve with either AirPlay or Chromecast).

However, Sonos recently announced that they have opened up a way for 3rd party apps to directly control Sonos speakers. This will soon start with Spotify but direct play from more services are expected. Who knows if this will involve AirPlay.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/30/12709368/sonos-spotify-app-support-announced

As others have said (and aside from hacks involving software 3rd party software running on Macs) AirPlay is currently available by plugging an Airport Express into the line-in of one or more Sonos devices. Once you have sent the audio to that Airport Express (or any device connected to the line in) you can route the audio to any Sonos devices or zones in your network. This does not need to include the speaker that the Airport Express is connected to.

It's worth mentioning that if you buy direct from Sonos you have a have a 100 day period in which you can return for a full refund if not satisfied - effectively a 100 day trial.

Reactions: deany

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
One further thought is Sonos now supports Apple Music, works well. iTunes interface is nothing to write home about anyway. I don't bother with iTunes for playing music, Sonos can use your iTunes library and Apple Music. Sonos has apps available for Mac and iOS. But this means you will need to replace your non Sonos speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.