Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
oo that is one heck of a VM
Ha.

Nah, its more like several VMs including one for GNS3 router simulation, several for firewalls, domain controllers, deployment servers, etc.

I can scrape by with that lab environment in 64 GB but looking to go to 128 GB (on the desktop in my sig) for some headroom with it.

Oh and re: not upgrading due to the keyboard issue - fair enough, I did similar. I bank on 4 years and held off from upgrading my 2015 13" until they were fixed, too.

Unified memory isn't magic, but with 16 GB and my typical *laptop* workload... well, see attached (windows 11 VM in the background with 6 GB allocated running Windows update - I'm not always running that).

It still runs like a scalded cat though. I don't even look at memory pressure, it runs fine. On the Apple Silicon hardware I think that is likely the SSD speed, cpu memory compression speed and scheduler/OS tweaks that enable things to run as well as they do - more so than any "unified memory" benefits.

Based on how I run this, I would not hesitate to run with 16 GB for your workload. And I've had memory pressure in the red on this machine before and didn't even notice.

Make no mistake. Not saying "don't buy 32 GB! no one needs that!". Just that baseline M1 Pro is much more capable than you may think. For this workload attached, I don't believe I'd see any speed improvement from 32 GB, because it's already running "fast" as is; I've noticed zero slowdown running memory pressure into the orange - for this workload.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 11.41.32 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 11.41.32 am.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: Hexoic

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
For current Macintosh computers (Apple Silicon CPUs), I would strongly recommend 16GB RAM as a minimum.

richmlow

Reactions: Basic75

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
For current Macintosh computers (Apple Silicon CPUs), I would strongly recommend 16GB RAM as a minimum.

richmlow
I kinda want to point out that in some countries it's nearly impossible to get 16GB models as they only sell 8GB models.
I have MacBook Air M1 8GB and it's been fine so far. I mostly use Safari, Xcode and simulator and sometimes pages, notes and mail app. That's about it and it's fine (for now). My Xcode project isn't the largest one. I just am creating a small little app.

Hexoic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
It still runs like a scalded cat though.

lol XD

Thank you so much for sharing your actual use cases, it's super helpful so I can gage it for myself. Yeah, you're probably right, and yet I probably will splurge on memory anyway, but it is good to know especially if a deal pops up.

Hexoic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I kinda want to point out that in some countries it's nearly impossible to get 16GB models as they only sell 8GB models.
I have MacBook Air M1 8GB and it's been fine so far. I mostly use Safari, Xcode and simulator and sometimes pages, notes and mail app. That's about it and it's fine (for now). My Xcode project isn't the largest one. I just am creating a small little app.
YES! what the heck? it's like that here too. the base config is pretty much the only one, if you're lucky you can upgrade the ssd. I get that it's a popular one for light tasks (or even not-so-light ones, but I bet you don't have 100 tabs and music running at the same time as that) but it still seems like plenty of folks would like more memory.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
YES! what the heck? it's like that here too. the base config is pretty much the only one, if you're lucky you can upgrade the ssd. I get that it's a popular one for light tasks (or even not-so-light ones, but I bet you don't have 100 tabs and music running at the same time as that) but it still seems like plenty of folks would like more memory.
I have many service-now tabs open and Outlook web and other apps I'm still doing fine though.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
And to anyone who is about to type "use fewer tabs and close apps".. listen, listen.. if I was capable of that, I would be doing it already, but alas I must pay the adhd RAM tax.
:D :D
It's a tough call - 8GB is 'ok for casual use' IMO today, but your callout above makes me go with just pass on it, as both Safari and chrome tabs can add up fairly quickly when hitting 'extreme' numbers (I'm also with you there, most for code and product doc references but also due to the utter crapshow that is Jira).

Why not find a refurbed M1 MBA with 16GB as the 'tide you over' system (not necessarily from apple, but you should be able to still find one with AppleCare on it)? I'm not endorsing this specific one, but as a possible option:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.