Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Could someone please explain to me how iPhone iOS exactly becomes more compromised after software support ends? If I don’t visit suspicious websites, open suspicious emails or download fishy files?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Also, exploits can come in any shape or form, it’s not just about your internet browsing habits. You could be the safest internet/email user in the world, but still get exploited/hacked in other ways. There could be an exploit with the lightning port, or maybe someone sends you a well crafted message that involves no interaction, or an exploit via Bluetooth, etc.

These are a few past examples:

Last edited:

maclad

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
UK
I have notifications turned off, so if you quote me in a reply there's a decent chance I'll never see it. I'm not ignoring you, specifically. I'm ignoring everyone.

Why do you have notifications turned off, can notifications be a security risk?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I have notifications turned off, so if you quote me in a reply there's a decent chance I'll never see it. I'm not ignoring you, specifically. I'm ignoring everyone.

Why do you have notifications turned off, can notifications be a security risk?
They're referring to the notifications on this site (found under Preferences in your user account); not on the iPhone/iPad itself.

My guess is he/she doesn't care or have the time to go through all replies they've been quoted in. I know a lot of my quotes in replies aren't really directed at me.

Reactions: maclad

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It is usually a long time before software support ends. I know Apple still has issued security updates to iOS 12 for devices that are stuck at iOS 12.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 4.11.13 PM.png

They also did iOS 15 updates the same day

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 4.13.17 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.