Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is macOS 12?

• Total voters

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I've seen a performance increase on my 2017 MacBook Pro as well coming from macOS Big Sur. Not a day and night difference, but still noticeable. This is the first time ever I simply did an upgrade. Couldn't be bothered with a clean install since my new MacBook Pro will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: loby

mattowski01

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
On my MacBook Pro 2017 I've seen quite a severe reaction to Monterey. Across the board apps have become slow loading. Zoom and Slack have faired quite badly with long lag in loading side bar and messages. Zoom wouldn't even log in. In these cases I have restarted my computer to resolve them. Being a work machine with certain additional IT tools loaded probably doesn't help much. Also means I cannot wipe and clean install (preferred option). I will sit tight for a follow up release to see if that brings it back inline.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I've seen a performance increase on my 2017 MacBook Pro as well coming from macOS Big Sur. Not a day and night difference, but still noticeable. This is the first time ever I simply did an upgrade. Couldn't be bothered with a clean install since my new MacBook Pro will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

On my MacBook Pro 2017 I've seen quite a severe reaction to Monterey. Across the board apps have become slow loading. Zoom and Slack have faired quite badly with long lag in loading side bar and messages. Zoom wouldn't even log in. In these cases I have restarted my computer to resolve them. Being a work machine with certain additional IT tools loaded probably doesn't help much. Also means I cannot wipe and clean install (preferred option). I will sit tight for a follow up release to see if that brings it back inline.

I find it strange that two guys do an in-place upgrade on a 2017 MacBook Pro and have completely opposite results. I guess your experience with Monterey has everything to do with what software you're running

Reactions: loby and yitwail

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Not really seeing any serious memory leak issues, but the USB hub problems are causing me trouble.

mattowski01

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
I find it strange that two guys do an in-place upgrade on a 2017 MacBook Pro and have completely opposite results. I guess your experience with Monterey has everything to do with what software you're running
Update. The situation has got progressively worse over the last day whereby I get logged out of my account randomly or the machine crashes completely. I’m also getting a fail every other time I restart the computer where it hangs on the loading screen. Sadly back to big sur for me despite all its faults.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I am part way between a few problems and tons. Hovering over the tons for vote but not yet. New M1 as well, Big Sur caused me issues, jumped on the Monterey Beta near the end and things didn't get any better. If I was new to Apple then this computer would have been back under the open box returns policy.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Stands to reason third-party software you're running plays a major role. Unless there's some system-level bug affecting specific hardware. I'm not using Zoom nor Slack.

The only software I'm having issues with is Microsoft (Office) 365. Outlook is the worst and takes around 20 bounces before it actually launches after a restart. Once it launches things are more or less fine though and a second launch "only" takes 5 bounces. My Mac's also struggling with Word documents that are filled with comments. Writing just slows to a crawl in Word itself. Mind you, these issues already started to surface on macOS Catalina. So I feel it's mostly Office and the fact it's just poorly and highly inefficient written software. Nowadays I edit those documents in Pages, which is able to keep up on a 4.5-year old Dual-Core i5.

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
MacRumors is increasingly becoming a place where software bugs affecting the fewest of users are inflated to the point where it looks like (almost) everyone is experiencing said issues... ...and more. Seven users worldwide reporting on Twitter they "bricked" their Macs during a software update? **Breaking News** It's heading straight to the front page!

If you wanna hold off upgrading until some future update that's fine. In case you're basing your decisions off of what you're reading here: I wouldn't do that too much. You'll be holding off indefinitely.
True…people always ask “is it ok to update?” Etc. Etc. Etc. Every time (like people here on these forums are experts… LOL.)

Just do a backup of what you believe is your “good version” in time machine or whatever backup program you like. Then Update and see how you like it. If the bugs are too much for you (and yes believe it or not with version 1 of ANY new release there will be some) then restore your old “tried and true” OS that (what is humorous to me…) ALWAYS seems to be better.

Or..just wait until the last version before a new OS release comes and if you are a person that wants to feel refreshed or feel like you have a “new” system, then update. It should be stable somewhat by the last version usually (not always of course). Then update all of your programs to the latest version that is compatible. This pattern does not change - tried and true.

Then…if you want to be bold and want to clean out any left over or “stuff” between the lines, backup again with the new version and your files, and do a complete from scratch (wiped out) install of everything. It always to me seems to run faster and cleaner when you do that. Yes, sometimes you may have issues with your old apps, but if you tested it already with an OS upgrade and things seem fine, then it is safe to try a fresh install. Again, you can always go back to your backup that worked.

Catalina was bad really UNTIL the last few versions. Now, it seems to be a good stable version, but most of the updates until the end were trying…safe bet if so concern is ALWAYS wait to update or try around v.3 or 4 or wait for the last version.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
On my notebook Macbook pro 2019 intel i5 13 inch upgraded to Monterey from Big sur. Honestly noticed nothing substantial worth noting or writing about. Everything works just as before, I thought that was kinda meaningless update.
On desktop stayed with Catalina. Everything works and I am not going to break my workflow for Monterey, without any clear benefits for upgrade. I especially hate any potential USB issues as my mike, soundcard, webcam all are USB based.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Update. The situation has got progressively worse over the last day whereby I get logged out of my account randomly or the machine crashes completely. I’m also getting a fail every other time I restart the computer where it hangs on the loading screen. Sadly back to big sur for me despite all its faults.
Well you admitted that you had some weird IT device management software running on your laptop, right? How are you able to roll back to BS but not clean install Monterey?

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
After seeing the favorable ratings for macOS 12, I went ahead and installed it on an external drive to try out. After wrestling with 12.0.1 for much of the day today, I found out most of the issues I encountered were my fault (migrating programs over manually).

I didn't notice all usual issues people had complained about (mem leak, touch pad, etc.) and at the same time, I didn't say to myself, "wow, this is fast!" compared to 10.15.7. I have a 2020 i7 iMac. I think by the time 12.2 comes around, it should be really solid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.