Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
I bought the base model of i5 10th processor, and I have two issues, the MBP was so hot with simple tasks like web browsing, and the battery was draining in a few hours so fast. I think its not normal.

How long does your battery last with mixed use of apps and programs?

vdakov

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
I have absolutely the same model and exactly the same problem. Maybe the new update will solve the problem mac os big sur.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Over 1+ month of use, mine lasts 8-9 hours @50% brightness.

Check Activity Monitor and see if there are processes using a lot of CPU and resources.

Spotlight may go on high utilization for a day or two to index your data.

Other apps may be doing who knows what with your new install.

Your login may have startup items that could be causing issues. In this last case, try creating another user account and logging in with that one to see if your system runs cooler. If it doesn't run any cooler, boot up in safe mode and see if it runs cooler then.

twistedm

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2020
I have the same issue with battery life. From my testing, if I use my macbook very carefully (only safari open, no videos or music), I can just about eke out Apple's promised 10 hours. But if I do anything more, the battery drains like crazy. Just watching videos on Youtube is enough to reduce that to 6-7 hours max. I have hardly anything installed and have been watching Activity Monitor so I'm fairly sure there's nothing eating the battery in the background.

I've also noticed it can get very warm when put under a bit of load, for example when watching Youtube, but from everything I've read online it seems this is normal behaviour.

Reactions: zehcnassurfero

raymanh

Suspended
Aug 27, 2017
Are you using Chrome? Often when I'm watching YouTube on Chrome the fans come on and temps get to around 70 Deg C, so the CPU is working hard. On Safari I get much better run time.

YT on Safari doesn't have this issue so if you are using Safari, medium brightness and some YouTube, 6-7 hours is normal. On Chrome, using YouTube sometimes, medium brightness, I get 3-4 hours. This is with a 2016 MBP but with a new battery.

Broko Fankone

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
Wait till you see the battery with external monitor and sound card. You'd be lucky to get 3-4 hours of youtube.

For the heat, I wrote this thread:

Hopefully you can make use of it. I highly suggest buying the app so you can have 2 custom profiles to be on the safe side, or switching to "auto" when you are about to do some heavy-load tasks (but auto will blast the fans at very high temps and my profiles will start much sooner).

These profiles work good with external monitor. With just the mac, results will be even better.

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
I have not depleted the battery in one session, but the battery got down 10 % every half hour so far, so I guess I also only get around 6 hours of use - but I have to say, that I did also watch some YouTube videos via safari in this scenario.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
I have the model with the 10th gen processor. Battery life is far shorter than my 2019 13" model. Estimate about 70% of the life of the older model.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
How does Apple justify charging 1800 for the 10th gen model if multiple people are having these battery/heat issues?

The additional cost brings the potential for higher performance. Higher performance comes at a cost and that is additional heat, decreased run time on battery, fan noise, etc. This isn't unique to any particular brand or type of computer. If you don't push the machine it will run cool and the battery will last as advertised. Alternatively, if you push the machine you'll get your work done faster than the 8th gen, but at the cost mentioned above. As with most things in life you don't get anything for free.

Reactions: Patcell and jerryk

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
I've had my 13 for 2 months now. haven't used it on battery that much, what surprised me is that the battery health is already at 95%. this behavior is similar to what several users have reported for the 16in.

battery life itself is not bad but I did purchase turbo boost switcher and I keep turbo boost disabled 100% of the time on battery (works just fine). battery stats usually tells me around 7 hours. so also not great.

heat and battery are certainly the cons on an otherwise great computer.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
the battery health is already at 95%. this behavior is similar to what several users have reported for the 16in.

Mine is the same, but it is due to new battery health feature. It is artificially limiting the max charge. When i turn it off my 13” goes from 96% to 101%. You might give that a try.

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
Mine is the same, but it is due to new battery health feature. It is artificially limiting the max charge. When i turn it off my 13” goes from 96% to 101%. You might give that a try.
I have deactivated a couple of days ago to check if that's what's happening, but for now I still see 4910mAh max charge capacity (from 5088)

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
I have the model with the 10th gen processor. Battery life is far shorter than my 2019 13" model. Estimate about 70% of the life of the older model.

That’s not normal in a new 2020, do you think it’s going To be better with the new MacOs?

Peter Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Calabasas, CA
I'm getting about 3 days worth on my MacBook Pro currently with medium usage, mostly photoshop and YouTube on safari and Apple Music. a lot of threads consistently say chrome is awful on battery on macOS so I didn't download it. I also have Clean my Mac which I run ever so often to clear my cache and background apps which I think helps me
Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 3.39.40 am.png

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
I'm getting about 3 days worth on my MacBook Pro currently with medium usage, mostly photoshop and YouTube on safari and Apple Music. a lot of threads consistently say chrome is awful on battery on macOS so I didn't download it. I also have Clean my Mac which I run ever so often to clear my cache and background apps which I think helps me View attachment 935900

Medium usage is like 3-4 hours per day?

Peter Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Calabasas, CA
Damn! That's a lot longer than I'd have ever expected.

EDIT: people say Chrome kills battery...how about Firefox. Is that any better?
im not sure about firefox i only use safari cause of all the forums saying other browsers drain the battery so i stuck with safari and its been fine, i have adguard on there and works great and i use clean my mac ever so often to clear cache and all the junk from my mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.