Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
As far as their customers' investment in Lightning cables goes, I don't think that plays into Apple's thinking.
When something better is tenable, then it will be released.

The Lightning port is never going away.

Apple makes $4 from every third-party manufacturer who uses a Lightning port on a device or a cable, its a significant part of their profit model. And this has been going on since 2002 and the 30 pin connector. It would take an act of God for Apple to walk away from that kind of free money. It's one of the reasons that the headphone jack went away. Any maker of a wired headphone now has to pay Apple for the privilege of selling a compatible wired device.

Note that Apple pays a royalty for Bluetooth and USB connectors, costs them millions in revenue. Bluetooth reluctantly has to be included in an iPhone, USB does not. This is also why the MacBook has the 'controversial' single port. Apple has to pay a license fee for every USB-A, HDMI, SD, VGA, Ethernet port on its devices. This stuff isn't free. Big companies own, patent, and license these technologies.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The Lightning port is never going away.

Apple makes $4 from every third-party manufacturer who uses a Lightning port on a device or a cable, its a significant part of their profit model. And this has been going on since 2002 and the 30 pin connector. It would take an act of God for Apple to walk away from that kind of free money. It's one of the reasons that the headphone jack went away. Any maker of a wired headphone now has to pay Apple for the privilege of selling a compatible wired device.

Apple could go all-wireless and still charge a royalty for their W chip.

Note that Apple pays a royalty for Bluetooth and USB connectors, costs them millions in revenue. Bluetooth reluctantly has to be included in an iPhone, USB does not.

No, Bluetooth and USB are royalty-free. That's why they're so popular in the first place.

Intel will make Thunderbolt 3 royalty-free in 2018.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Personally, for what its worth, I feel that given that Apple kept the Lightning port on the X, the chances of seeing a USB-C port now on an iDevice in the next 3 years is pretty slight.

Who knows if USB-C will be the port to move to next at that point even. USB-C was finalized in only 2014, so who knows what'll be around in 2020 or 2021 - even if there IS going to be a port, then.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Personally, for what its worth, I feel that given that Apple kept the Lightning port on the X, the chances of seeing a USB-C port now on an iDevice in the next 3 years is pretty slight.

Who knows if USB-C will be the port to move to next at that point even. USB-C was finalized in only 2014, so who knows what'll be around in 2020 or 2021 - even if there IS going to be a port, then.
USBC is worse than lightning. Same speed, same power.
Larger size, flimsy microboard inner peice, Apple has no control.
2 steps to the side, 3 steps back.

Apple will elsewhere for some other reason before they go USBC for mobile.

Reactions: KrisLord

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I have a few discontinued Apple products but on a daily basis I use these: AirPods, iPhone, MacbookPro 2017 & Magic Mouse

In my desk and when I travel, I'd very much like to have just one charger and one cable to charge them all, though it's not possible I guess, since the lightning ports on my devices aren't going anywhere. Besides the 5w charger that I charge my AirPods and iPhone with on almost a daily basis, is significantly slow compared to the 61w laptop charger.

The posts in this thread now gives me a solid reason to pick up an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable (since there are no MFi); just to charge my devices faster. I just wish there was a simple one cable or split-end cable solution to this.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
so you will have to buy a brand new car to charge your phone while driving? LOL

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My guess is that Apple will do it with the next major iPhone redesign.

Buy your measurement, Apples last iPhone physical change was over four years from the iPhone 6/6S/7/8 form factor, which theoretically could be three years from now if the iPhone design changes again, which would be around 2020.

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
Honestly, I believe the next generations of IPhone (2018) are gonna be the ones to drop the lightning port and switch to usb-c. The reason is fast charge, and it becomming standard on the IPhone.

The Fast charge adapter change to port from regular usb to usb-c. As since usb-c is now global standard on phone and computers. It makes more sense to provide a usb-c to usb-c connection compared to a usb-c to lightning connection. I know that fast charge is already available on the new IPhones, but the it is not standard out of the box (yet). In the next generation of iphones, fast charge will be standard and a change of ports make sense. Apple will receive a lot of unnecessary critism if they don’t. Mark my words: 2018 ;)

Last edited:

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Honestly, I believe the next generations of IPhone (2018) are gonna be the ones to drop the lightning port and switch to usb-c. The reason is fast charge, and it becomming standard on the IPhone.

The Fast charge adapter change to port from regular usb to usb-c. As since usb-c is now global standard on phone and computers. It makes more sense to provide a usb-c to usb-c connection compared to a usb-c to lightning connection. I know that fast charge is already available on the new IPhones, but the it is not standard out of the box (yet). In the next generation of iphones, fast charge will be standard and a change of ports make sense. Apple will receive a lot of unnecessary critism if they don’t. Mark my words: 2018 ;)

Everything you’ve written explains why a change to USB-C on the charger end is relevant. It doesn’t give any reason for switching the phone side of the connection other than it standardises the port to what others use. That doesn’t sound like a valid reason for Apple to change.

I’m expecting Apple to move to USB-C on the charger end in the next few years.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Lightning does fast charge... only thing USBC does is a larger bulkier interface... which is not a plus.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Me, I think they should keep it until they have an elegant alternative (as a backup for device recovery / DFU mode) - me, I'd like to see seamless glass optics built into the steel band where the lightning port is now (would require a cradle or maybe a magsafe-like connector to connect it to your mac). Such an interface would assist with improved water resistance.

Agreed. DFU mode is critical. Something like the Smart Connector would be ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.