Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I've always (since I've known about it) used the three key 'CMND + Option + Eject' way of Hibernating my MBP..

Pretty instantaneous and I never have to wonder if it is working yet.. :apple:

that's 'sleep' not 'hibernate'...

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
But the default behavior is to sleep and hibernate, which is what that command evokes.

true, although i am confused about exactly how long it's sleeping before it decides to hibernate (although mine does not hibernate anymore)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
true, although i am confused about exactly how long it's sleeping before it decides to hibernate (although mine does not hibernate anymore)

The computer does not actually sleep until the sleepimage has been written. Physically, because the HDD can't be moving if the computer is asleep, there's no other way for it to be done.

Default behavior is to write the sleepimage to the HDD, then go to sleep.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
The computer does not actually sleep until the sleepimage has been written. Physically, because the HDD can't be moving if the computer is asleep, there's no other way for it to be done.

Default behavior is to write the sleepimage to the HDD, then go to sleep.

right... so where's hibernate come into play?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
right... so where's hibernate come into play?

Hibernate is the sleepimage. The computer sleeps for quick wake-up, but includes the sleepimage so that, should the computer lose power while asleep, it will still just come out of hibernation, which doesn't require any power.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Hibernate is the sleepimage. The computer sleeps for quick wake-up, but includes the sleepimage so that, should the computer lose power while asleep, it will still just come out of hibernation, which doesn't require any power.

ah, so it pops into hibernation when it runs out of battery?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
ah, so it pops into hibernation when it runs out of battery?

Well, the definition of hibernation is to save the RAM contents to the HDD and then shut down completely. The RAM contents are contained in the sleepimage file. So when you run out of power and shut down while asleep, it doesn't really "pop into hibernation" as that implies an active switch on the part of the computer, but it does go into hibernation because it's off.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Well, the definition of hibernation is to save the RAM contents to the HDD and then shut down completely. The RAM contents are contained in the sleepimage file. So when you run out of power and shut down while asleep, it doesn't really "pop into hibernation" as that implies an active switch on the part of the computer, but it does go into hibernation because it's off.

okay. I understand now! thanks for the explanation... I learn something new everyday haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.