Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
From your first apple device which is bought years ago to existing one today, how many Apple devices did you return or replaced because of a flaw or functional problem (like backlight bleeding, keyboard issue, battery drain etc)

Apple always became the name of quality for me but a customer has to be lucky too. I have suffered because of bad luck many times.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
none Although i always purchased from Apple only.
The only return was actually recycling a macbook air 2010 last month... which was sad!
and an tv gen 3 and now/soon my watch they sent back

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iBook G3 logic board failure.
2006 MacBook Pro... can't remember what the problem was, but I remember having to send it back for something.
2011 MacBook Pro logic board failure (the well-documented GPU issue), but I didn't send it back as it was pretty old by that point and I'd already replaced it.
2015 MacBook Pro is still chugging along, but 3 out of my 4 Apple laptops have had hardware failure. The desktops are fine in terms of hardware quality though.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have had probably over a hundred Apple devices, including iPods and phones, since my SE/30 in 1992.

Of all these, I can only remember two. I had an AppleVision 17” monitor that had some kind of issue, I cannot recall what, probably around 1997. In 2018 I sent two iPad Pros back due to the bending issue.

I have also had two touchbar MacBook keyboards replaced under the extended warranty, but this was after many years of use.

Edit: Counted to 24 specific Macs that I can remember, but I am sure there were more. I recently booted up a 9600 that had been sitting in storage, everything worked fine, and I am using the keyboard from that computer to this day.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
That sounds like it could trigger an identity crisis!
Ya know, i still feel bad....i used that everyday from 2010 until 2021 when the M1 came out.
then May 14th, the macbook air would not turn on... no matter what i did,
after sitting in a box for almost 2 months.
even the screwdriver-node tap in the logic bard.

i might get a replacement one this autumn.

Reactions: Analog Kid

RF2

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2022
Seattle, WA
From your first macbook which is bought years ago to existing one today, how many Apple devices did you return or replaced because of a flaw or functional problem (like backlight bleeding, keyboard issue, battery drain etc)
Oh boy here we go:

2009 17" MacBook Pro due to backlight uniformity issues

iPhone 6s+ Failed pixel

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 butterfly keyboard issues x3

iPhone X telephoto image stabilization not working

Apple Watch Series 6 line of failed pixels (replacement unit also had same issue and the replacement for the replacement unit had 4 failed pixels 🙃)

AirPods Pro 2nd gen noise cancelling not working left unit

iPhone 14 Pro camera damaged due to image stabilization vibration bug

iPhone 15 Pro Max Failed pixel

Almost every product I purchase from apple nowadays has something wrong with it, super infuriating having to drive to the Apple Store every time this happens. There's something seriously wrong with their quality control

Zaydax333

macrumors regular
May 25, 2021
I myself have had:

iBook G4
Mac Mini
13 inch MBP
13 inch Retina MBP
14 inch M1 MBP
iPhone 4S, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro.

Various displays and accessories.

That's not counting all the other stuff my dad owned. We never had to return a single one.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
The original iPhone. WiFi chip in it died if I remember correctly but man, it’s been a long time! They sent me a replacement and a radio with a dock as a gift for the situation. Nothing since…knock on wood!

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
From your first macbook which is bought years ago to existing one today, how many Apple devices did you return or replaced because of a flaw or functional problem (like backlight bleeding, keyboard issue, battery drain etc)
Only one Mac, and that was close to 20 years ago (bad pixels). I’ve had many repaired over the years - from the screen coating recall, to the butterfly keyboard. A few others (including a phone run over by a car and replaced under AppleCare).

I wish I could return the OS software though…many many bugs.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
* 3 of the original Apple Cinema display (they never made a perfect panel lol)
* 1x single processor PowerMac G5 (bad system management firmware)
* 1x macbook air (blew a charging capacitor or something, smelled like smoke)
* 1x iphone xs (the battery got super flaky after 4.5 years)

Reactions: antiprotest

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
iPod since 2003
iPhone since 2007
Macs since 2010

I’ve had way too many to count:
  • iPhones
  • iPods
  • Apple Watches
  • AirPods
  • MacBooks (plain/Air/Pro)
  • Mac Minis
  • iMacs
  • Airport devices
  • iPads (Mini/10”)
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Magic Mouse

Some were brand new from the Apple Store and some were from the Apple Refurb store. I’ve never returned any of them.

I guess I’m just lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

Quasium

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2024
United States
I never had the need to replace any products. iPhones i’ve used include: 12 mini, 13 Pro, and right now i’m using 14 Pro. Most pre-Apple Silicon Macbooks after around 2012-ish were great and lasted a long time. The iPads I’ve used include iPad Air 2(5 yrs) Air 4(3 yrs) and now an M2 iPad Pro(got it in Feb.)All of these products lasted me a long time.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I bought the original Mac 128 in 1984. I couldn’t even begin to remember all the Apple products I’ve bought since either for myself, or for work or for my family or as gifts but it probably numbers in at least 35 Mac’s, 20 iPads, 10 Apple tv’s, 6 home pods, 8 HomePod mini, 10 iPods, 18 iPhones, 5 iMacs, 10 Apple Watches, 10 AirPods and one Apple Vision Pro.

Number of failures? 1 HomePod.

Guess I’m lucky.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Only product I have ever had to return to Apple for repair was my AirPods Max.

I kind of don't recommend this headset. Too finicky for how expensive it is.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Have purchased numerous devices both new (from various retailers and Apple) and refurbs (from Apple) and have never had to return any of them.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
the 2016 MacBook Pro with keyboard failure.
Oh, and I did have an iPhone 5 with a lemon of a Bluetooth radio that wouldn’t connect to anything.
And a 6+ with the flickering and non-responsive display.
But that’s literally it, in my… basically entire life as an Apple customer, all of my other problems have either been software-based or accidental damage.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
The only ones I’ve had replaced were
iPod shuffle 2 (2007)
iPod touch 2 (2010)

Both for some reason no longer synced via iTunes and became unresponsive.

Interestingly, these were about a decade before I got my first MacBook and over a decade before my first iPhone.

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
Had screen bleed on an iPad Mini 5 and one AirPod Pro stopped pairing properly, both were replaced after diagnostics, the iPad after 3 days as they had to order one in, the AirPod on the spot.

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
Hmm

5-6 iPhone SE 1.gen for screen issues and dust in the camera

2 iPhone X for the same reasons

Couldn’t return my MacBook Pro but had the top case replaced 4 times and the screen twice

All warranty replacements and services. No returns but replacements instead tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.