Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
I have 18TB NFS storage on my home server. Does that count? I haven't plugged anything into my new Mini yet, but I'm sure that'll happen. What are my best storage options with Thunderbolt? I have four empty ports and nothing but dreams.
I did rx580 gaming box and a Samsung t5

Almogos

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
128GB OWC SSD for OS + 1TB WD Black for documents & heavy apps + 1TB WD My Passport For Mac (500GB For Data + 500GB for TM) + 3TB WD My Book for documents and backups

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 1.51.29.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 1.51.29.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: MacMiniUpgrader

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
I have 18TB NFS storage on my home server. Does that count? I haven't plugged anything into my new Mini yet, but I'm sure that'll happen. What are my best storage options with Thunderbolt? I have four empty ports and nothing but dreams.
e-gpu is a great add on, or external storage

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I have a 5TB USB Seagate drive permanently attached for my data. It and the internal SSD get backed up regularly.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2004
View attachment 826475
I have the standard 128GB SSD that I have my Mojave on with my Apps. And then all my Music, Photo libraries and large files are stored on the Samsung T5.
I’m really interested in your setup; does having your Photos Library and iTunes on the T5 work well? My Photos library is 200+GB, so I’ve been contemplating an iMac w/ 2TB Fusion drive just to have a reliable, always-on Mac to download local copies from iCloud. The one “canonical Mac,” if you will. Maybe the mini with external is an option?

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I’m really interested in your setup; does having your Photos Library and iTunes on the T5 work well? My Photos library is 200+GB, so I’ve been contemplating an iMac w/ 2TB Fusion drive just to have a reliable, always-on Mac to download local copies from iCloud. The one “canonical Mac,” if you will. Maybe the mini with external is an option?

Yes it works great. I have the T5 formatted to APFS and I noticed it's much faster than when it was formatted to HFS+. I have my Photos Library, iTune Library, iMovie Library & my OneDrive files all on the T5. I currently use the 500GB one but may upgrade in the future to a 1TB if prices keep dropping and do away with my older external hard drives that are sitting around collecting dust.

Reactions: Miles Davis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.