Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many gb’s of music do you have on your phone?

• 0-60

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • 60-120

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 120-250

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 250-500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I save music to my external storage so zero space used by music on my iPhone 7 Plus... I do at times download from streaming services like Spotify and YouTube Music when going to a place with limited internet and cellular/mobile connectivity...

Reactions: andondragov

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I have around 20gb of music on my iPhone. Although I have access to Spotify (wife's account) and Amazon Music, 99% of the time I listen to my locally saved music. Reason: just my musical tastes. All the music I like, across several genres, is old (released 10-60 years ago) and I own it. The simplicity of the music app interface cannot be beat by any streaming service app.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I agree with you that once you stop your subscription to whatever streaming service you use, music is all gone.. I myself do use Spotify, but I also have a lot of CD’s and continue to buy them when I find cheap used ones. How to get my CD’s on my iPhone is something I don’t know how to do.
iTunes or finder is your best bet. Plenty of tutorials online as well. You do need an external CD drive though.

Reactions: valinda

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have the auto generated youtube music offline mixtape for the rare occasions i don't have wifi or signal. Typically i stream.

Reactions: andondragov

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I guess i just don't travel anymore. what with pandemic and all. i mainly listen to music on my laptop (always spotify).

Here in the Western US there are still a lot of blank spots on the coverage maps so sometimes you don't have to go far to encounter very poor or even nonexistent connectivity.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
89.17 GB (7,555 audio files). A handful of those individual files run 1 to 5 hours.
I like to listen to <my> music, not some playlist made by others.
A lot of what I listen to isn’t even on the radars of these streaming stations or is no longer available.
I also have a full range of taste. As an example I have a general playlist with ~700 songs. You’ll find a Black Sabbath song right next to Bing Crosby, Beach Boys, UFO, The Grass Roots next to Def Lepard or Two Steps From Hell, Ozzy, The Brains, and so on and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
Good question! Maybe you could add a poll here with several options (e.g. less than 10gb, 10-30 gb etc). Would be interesting to see the results!

Reactions: MAL24A

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I’ve got 242 GB stored music and have a 512GB phone. 106 GB left available so I think 512 was the best route for me. It’s nice to be able to just download whatever and have it at all times regardless of connectivity. The high quality stuff can take up a lot of space too but sounds much better.

MAL24A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2022
Over 200GB on my 512 GB iPad. And 70GB on my iPhone. Definitely need to upgrade to 512GB iPhone this year or next. Streaming is still only for discovery, and I have no streaming service I can use to discover.

Generally I hate streaming because once payment is gone I have nothing left. But that
Over 200GB on my 512 GB iPad. And 70GB on my iPhone. Definitely need to upgrade to 512GB iPhone this year or next. Streaming is still only for discovery, and I have no streaming service I can use to discover.

Generally I hate streaming because once payment is gone I have nothing left. But that’s the discussion for another day.
I concur ?

andondragov

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2018
Bulgaria
Only streaming for me - Spotify and YouTube. They also offer downloading music and listening offline when the connectivity is poor. Storing tons of music has been left in the 90's.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
50 GB

I agree with you that once you stop your subscription to whatever streaming service you use, music is all gone.. I myself do use Spotify, but I also have a lot of CD’s and continue to buy them when I find cheap used ones. How to get my CD’s on my iPhone is something I don’t know how to do.

It's almost the same as how you used to do it with iTunes except you use Finder on the Mac to do it now. Click on your phone in finder (might have to connect it via a lightning cable), click on the 'music' tab, select what music you want on your phone, hit the 'sync' button.

Reactions: valinda

cloudphrenia

Cancelled
Nov 17, 2020
I think I'll hit 250GB by next summer. I have about half my iTunes library on my phone.

1.png

2.png

Reactions: MAL24A

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
89.17 GB (7,555 audio files). A handful of those individual files run 1 to 5 hours.
I like to listen to <my> music, not some playlist made by others.
A lot of what I listen to isn’t even on the radars of these streaming stations or is no longer available.
I also have a full range of taste. As an example I have a general playlist with ~700 songs. You’ll find a Black Sabbath song right next to Bing Crosby, Beach Boys, UFO, The Grass Roots next to Def Lepard or Two Steps From Hell, Ozzy, The Brains, and so on and so on.

Can relate. I've also got a ton of rare/foreign/live/etc music that is not available on streaming.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.