Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello,

I just purchased a new Mac Mini (16/512) that will arrive in two or three weeks (very excited about that!). I need to connect it to an older NEC 23" 1080p monitor. The monitor is still good enough for my needs for now.

The monitor has three ports: DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA.

Right now it's connected to my old Mac Pro (2009) via DVI-D and it looks great (I calibrate it once a month).
What would be the best way to connect it to the Mac Mini M1? I've been looking at adapters/cables but am completely lost in the nomenclature.

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: At_Op45

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
You will be happy with the Mac Mini, I received mine on Dec 17th. I have it connected to 2 Dell 3220 gaming monitors as I want the hub connections the monitors give. I used HDMI to HDMI cables and the OWC Thuderbolt 3 hub (I have a lot of external devices). You can get an HDMI to dispalyport adapter for about $10 or less and connect from the Mini's HDMI port.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Find an adapter that will connect via HDMI because you'll want to leave the USB-C / Thunderbolt-4 ports available for fast external storage and possibly charging other devices. The HDMI plug really only does video output so allow it to fulfill its mission.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
All right then, HDMI it is. I don't have a VGA cable so I will get a displayport-to-HDMI-adapter.

Now all I have to do is wait for the Mac Mini to arrive. Really looking forward to it. I love my Mac Pro and flashed the firmware but can't take it past Mojave, so it's finally time to upgrade.

Thank you all very much for the quick help. Much appreciated!

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
What cable do you have?

If you have a VGA cable, buy a VGA to HDMI adapter.
No, Really DON'T do that !!!!! Why would you change a digital signal to analogue ?- with loss of quality as a result. The M1 Mac Mini has an HDMI socket (as per the Intel versions) - use an HDMI to DVI cable or a HDMI to Displayport adapter (both cheap on Amazon). Keep it digital end-to-end.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011

Superschulzen

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
You will be happy with the Mac Mini, I received mine on Dec 17th. I have it connected to 2 Dell 3220 gaming monitors as I want the hub connections the monitors give. I used HDMI to HDMI cables and the OWC Thuderbolt 3 hub (I have a lot of external devices). You can get an HDMI to dispalyport adapter for about $10 or less and connect from the Mini's HDMI port.
Hi - jumping on this thread because I have a quick question regarding the OWC hub. I have the Mac mini M1 with 1TB SSD and 512GB Ram - I have issues connecting multiple monitors or even devices for that matter, as the Mac mini keeps not properly fully shutting down, and upon restart shows a kernel panic. All is fine when I do not use my Anker hub and just a single monitor - but now I am a USB connection short of attaching my webcam (I would have other devices I need to connect, but this would be the bare minimum setup I need). Has the Mac mini with the OWC hub had any issues in shutting down your Mac?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Hi - jumping on this thread because I have a quick question regarding the OWC hub. I have the Mac mini M1 with 1TB SSD and 512GB Ram - I have issues connecting multiple monitors or even devices for that matter, as the Mac mini keeps not properly fully shutting down, and upon restart shows a kernel panic. All is fine when I do not use my Anker hub and just a single monitor - but now I am a USB connection short of attaching my webcam (I would have other devices I need to connect, but this would be the bare minimum setup I need). Has the Mac mini with the OWC hub had any issues in shutting down your Mac?
No issues at all though the monitor connected to the OWC hub has a 1-3 sec lag behind the one connected directly to the Mini of displaying

Reactions: Superschulzen

twsmit

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2020
Hello,

I just purchased a new Mac Mini (16/512) that will arrive in two or three weeks (very excited about that!). I need to connect it to an older NEC 23" 1080p monitor. The monitor is still good enough for my needs for now.

The monitor has three ports: DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA.

Right now it's connected to my old Mac Pro (2009) via DVI-D and it looks great (I calibrate it once a month).
What would be the best way to connect it to the Mac Mini M1? I've been looking at adapters/cables but am completely lost in the nomenclature.

Thanks for any help.
You want a HDMI to DVI-D adapter. Apple makes one or you can try numerous third party adapters. Edit. See my link below.

Reactions: TopDog5450

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
My dual 1920x1200 monitors are blurry. Text quality is appreciably worse that when viewing on Windows 10. I am running matching Dell U2142M screens. I am not delighted with this and Apple basically said, too bad - we don't support 3rd party products. (there is nothing wrong with the monitors, it's the M1)

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Please post a screenshot of your System Preferences --> Displays --> Display tab. I'd also recommend doing a full factory reset of both monitors. Although I bought a 5K/4K monitor for my new M1 Mac Mini, I used it for a couple of weeks with a 1920 x 1200 LED Cinema Display (via a USB-C to MiniDisplayPort adapter) and it looked fantastic.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Find an adapter that will connect via HDMI because you'll want to leave the USB-C / Thunderbolt-4 ports available for fast external storage and possibly charging other devices.

I think the cable you posted in reply #7 above should do fine.

Before buying an HDMI to DVI adapter, you might want to read this thread. A lot of people are having problems with that...

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
My dual 1920x1200 monitors are blurry. Text quality is appreciably worse that when viewing on Windows 10. I am running matching Dell U2142M screens. I am not delighted with this and Apple basically said, too bad - we don't support 3rd party products. (there is nothing wrong with the monitors, it's the M1)
I have two Dell S3220DGF monitors running at 2560x1440 with no issues, very sharp. How are you connected. I suspect this is a cable issue and not a monitor or computer issue.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Maybe try resetting them to default, factory settings.

Backup and reinstall macOS 11.1 from Internet recovery.

Buy good quality cables, certified HDMI2.0 cables and/or DisplayPort 1.4 and good quality/Apple official’s adapters/dock. Avoid docks if possible: use a good quality USB-C to DisplayPort cable and HDMI2.0 to DisplayPort 1.4 cable.

Then, you can call it M1’s fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4sallypat

Superschulzen

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
Agree with the last two posts - definitely sounds like a cable issue. I had the same issue with a single monitor, and switched HDMI cables and voila, clear picture.

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
Please post a screenshot of your System Preferences --> Displays --> Display tab. I'd also recommend doing a full factory reset of both monitors. Although I bought a 5K/4K monitor for my new M1 Mac Mini, I used it for a couple of weeks with a 1920 x 1200 LED Cinema Display (via a USB-C to MiniDisplayPort adapter) and it looked fantastic.
The mini is the display dialogs, the other one is from the PC. Do you see the blur? I'm on the mini right now so they both look blurry.

The cabling is the same in each instance as I am using a KVM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.22.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.22.02 PM.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 2021-01-06 17_25_59-How to connect Mac Mini M1 to 1080p monitor_ _ MacRumors Forums.png
    2021-01-06 17_25_59-How to connect Mac Mini M1 to 1080p monitor_ _ MacRumors Forums.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 331

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
I have two Dell S3220DGF monitors running at 2560x1440 with no issues, very sharp. How are you connected. I suspect this is a cable issue and not a monitor or computer issue.
I suspect that a "2K" monitor like yours will look better, but I guess I'd have to buy one to find out.

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
Ha ha now I see all the typos in my post above. I meant Dell U2412M screens of course.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Do you see the blur? I'm on the mini right now so they both look blurry.

No, the screenshot shows the contents of the screen buffer - the image in the computer's memory. Your issue is with how it looks on a screen. You would need to take a photo of the screen to see that. Reminds me a bit of some iphone threads where people are posting screenshots to show the yellow tint on their screens. :)

Reactions: ilex27

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
No, the screenshot shows the contents of the screen buffer - the image in the computer's memory. Your issue is with how it looks on a screen. You would need to take a photo of the screen to see that. Reminds me a bit of some iphone threads where people are posting screenshots to show the yellow tint on their screens. :)
asdfkhjafpsdifhiwetqpgjkasdpfgj;asdgjk dammit u right

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.