Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Pine Lake Digital

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Hello,

I just purchased a new Mac Mini (16/512) that will arrive in two or three weeks (very excited about that!). I need to connect it to an older NEC 23" 1080p monitor. The monitor is still good enough for my needs for now.

The monitor has three ports: DisplayPort, DVI-D and VGA.

Right now it's connected to my old Mac Pro (2009) via DVI-D and it looks great (I calibrate it once a month).
What would be the best way to connect it to the Mac Mini M1? I've been looking at adapters/cables but am completely lost in the nomenclature.

Thanks for any help.
Levina, Just got my Mac mini MI and spent two days trying to get it to work with Older HP display with DVI inputs.
Got the USB C and HDMI ports to work with my LG TV But nothing worked with the HP. Bought a USB C to Dvi adaptor from Amazon and the monitor now works and looks great! Adaptor was around 12 bucks.
Best of luck with your new Mini ! When you get it to work you'll be very happy with it.

Chuck

Reactions: Levina

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Levina, Just got my Mac mini MI and spent two days trying to get it to work with Older HP display with DVI inputs.
Got the USB C and HDMI ports to work with my LG TV But nothing worked with the HP. Bought a USB C to Dvi adaptor from Amazon and the monitor now works and looks great! Adaptor was around 12 bucks.
Best of luck with your new Mini ! When you get it to work you'll be very happy with it.

Chuck
Hi Chuck. That is the cable I too ended up buying: USB C to DVI and my monitor looks and works great!

Reactions: Boyd01

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
But m1 mini has a hdmi port. Should of saved the usb c for expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.